1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya I have a hard time seeing the conference surviving regardless of what the other P5’s do. Fully expect them to so kinda moot point.

Just reading that KU has reached out to BIG.

arkoe likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This statement doesn't make a lot of sense.

The Big 12 isn't just going to blow its own brains out for fun.

Someone else is going to have to act upon them (i.e. invite a large share of its remaining members) for it to fold.

You can say that you "can't see it being competitively viable" (i.e. no money and no playoff access), but that's a different distinction.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Poor little brother school not getting to be at the adult's table with their big brothers.

Turbo likes this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If all of this comes to a head (meaning WVU heads to the ACC, KU to the B1G, etc) I really hope that the PAC finally gets off its ass and realizes this is its last, best chance for Eastward expansion.

Kansas State
    Iowa State
    Texas Tech
    Oklahoma State

Those 4 fit the footprint of the Rocky Mountain PAC schools (Utah, Colorado, AZ, AZ State) quite well.

Perhaps not Iowa State as much (this is where I advocate for my Cougars instead), but the rest, absolutely.

5. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately, I think the Big 12 currently faces a challenge similar to the old SWC: a small geographic footprint with less national interest than other power conferences. Its current tv/streaming deal reflects that. I wish I could find the article I read yesterday, but apparently the Tech AD mentioned last year that the preliminary figures floated by ESPN for the new Big 12 media rights were much lower than what was expected.

The Longhorn Network certainly contributed to all of this, but it takes two to tango; ESPN was foolish for ever offering that deal and there isn't a big school in the country that wouldn't have taken that revenue.

Kansas is probably afraid of becoming UConn 2.0 in this round of realignment since it's all being driven by football money. Their elite basketball team is weighed down by their atrocious football program when it comes to "value" they can bring to a conference. Baylor is as well-positioned as anyone to be an attractive candidate to the Pac-12, post Briles/rape era, as any program could be.

7. Major

Major Member

Remember when Clemson and FSU wanted out of the ACC in the last round of realignment before they all signed their media rights commitments and the B12 sat on its ass because it was happy just adding TCU and WVU?

Buck Turgidson, tinman and MadMax like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

This seemed inevitable and the only reason they didn't see it coming was B12 arrogance. On what planet did they think Texas + a bunch of flyover states was going to generate revenue comparable to the other big conferences?

It's still so disappointing that Texas + Pac10 + ESPN couldn't have worked the LHN issue out a few years ago. It would have benefited the Pac10, Texas, OU (along with Tech and OkieState), ESPN, and the fans. Yet they ended up picking the mutually destructive path instead.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hell letting Louisville waltz into the ACC was a mistake too.

Buck Turgidson and Major like this.
  10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm trying to figure the contract stuff. Is there a point where enough teams leave the conference that Texas and OU doesn't have to pay a butt load of money. Then again, the money gained from the SEC would probably make up for most of that pretty quick.

11. HTM

HTM Member

Exciting to see all this realignment.

As a Texas alum and fan, I'm looking forward to seeing Texas and OU in the SEC.

I'm not sure what this means for the long term landscape of college athletics. Especially football. Are we going to see the Big 12 divided up between the Pac12, Big 10 and SEC? Some of the programs aren't very desirable. Seems like a lot of uncertainty. Will the top college football programs from across the country form a "super league" - the top teams from the SEC, Big 10 and Pac 12? Idk. All that seems certain at this point is the Big 12's days are numbered and I guess that's been obvious for years now and I just didn't really think about it.

12. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

If you are calling A&M a little brother, that is cute. The long horns are followers here and about to turn into Bama's b*tch just like everyone else. Have fun with that.

TheresTheDagger and sammy like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

All 3 things are true, UT is following little brother A&M and they'll both be Bama's b****.... just like everyone else.

I grew up a Bama fan, so.... yeah, I plan to have fun with it.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I loved that scenario but was it ever REAL? Texas to Pac12 would be awesome. And OU could still go to the SEC.

TAMU definitely got big brothered in this. TAMU fans (me) are crying (Wanda) and UT/SEC are all... "I don't even know who you are" (Thanos). Just being honest. UT is doing what's best for UT - they don't care about TAMU. It's just annoying as TAMU fans, we cant escape. Let us live. Lol.

And if this DOES happen I don't see it as the dawn of super conferences. I see it as the beginning of a one and only super conference. Considering the teams it already has and it's geography, the SEC can easily go add more powerhouses in the future. The Big 10 and Pac 12 can only do so much to stay relevant outside of their top 2-3 programs.

arkoe likes this.
  15. gucci888

No money, no playoff access sounds awfully like a G5 conference. So you are right they aren't going to blow it's brains out and can maybe survive for a bit. But like you said, all it will take is for a P5 to come calling whether tomorrow, next year, or 5 years from now. So no I don't see the conference surviving.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  16. HTM

HTM Member

I don't think Texas to the Pac 12 would have been all that awesome. I'm way more hyped to watch Texas-Texas A&M, Texas - LSU, Texas-Alabama, Texas-OU etc etc then I am Texas-USC, Texas-Stanford, Texas-Washington. In fact, Texas in the Pac-12 isn't really exciting at all. The SEC is where its at.

Will Texas get wrecked on for awhile in the SEC? Yea, probably but it's a massive program and things change.

17. gucci888

Looks like 2025 is that date although it seems very unlikely it'll drag out that long should this go through.

rockbox likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Also. This is what the Big 12 GETS for being UT's b**** for the past decade.

TheresTheDagger likes this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

20. gucci888

Holy cow that is good. Please tell me someone has meme'd this.