1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

ScheftBomb! Watson formally requests trade

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Fantasma Negro

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think the need for the Texans to have a character coach has never been more clear. Someone has to guide these players -- just look at what has happened.

3. i3artow i3aller

EasterBunny is a snake oil salesman.

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. Fantasma Negro

I’m sure this seemed like a good opportunity to Love and Fields, but they should be questioning why their agent put them in this situation.
    Not sure the optics of normalizing Watson's behavior is what I’d want for my young QBs if I'm the bears or packers

HTXSportsAddict, whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can't wait for the Texans Bible camp.

I hate this franchise. I hate Watson. I hope both fail miserably.

7. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...am-schefter-hints-eagles-deshaun-watson-trade

Does Adam Schefter know something about Eagles, Watson?

Adam Schefter is the NFL's foremost insider, privy to front office whispers and trade secrets before anyone else in the world. When he talks, we all listen.

And when Schefter made his regular appearance on 97.5 The Fanatic on Wednesday morning, he sounded particularly focused on one idea: the Eagles pursuing Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson.

Now, this isn't exactly breaking news. The Eagles have been linked to Watson for months by numerous outlets, and it's well understood by now that they'll be one of the teams most likely to take a run at Watson if he's allowed to play once resolutions to the dozens of sexual assault and harassment allegations against the Texans quarterback are reached.

While Schefter made a point to specify that he was merely connecting dots on Tuesday, he was the one who started the "Eagles trade for Watson" discussion during his segment, and he kept returning to the idea that the Eagles are the team best suited to make a move for Watson. He must've said it a dozen times across his 13-minute radio appearance.

Here's a sampling of what Schefter's hit sounded like:

"There's no team in the league with more draft capital than the Philadelphia Eagles. No team. There's also - I think that roster is better than people realize.

"[...]

"The Eagles are more equipped to make a run at Deshaun Watson than any team out there.

"[...]

"I'm operating under the assumption that somehow this will be settled, or he will serve his discipline from the league - whatever punishment he has coming that is fair and just, once that is done, I just think that at that point in time [...] to me, the Philadelphia Eagles should be waiting."

So you're not saying... but you're saying...? Got it.

The question of whether the Eagles can acquire Watson is one thing; the question of whether they should is another entirely. Even if the legal system ends up protecting Watson and he serves what will likely be a minor punishment from the NFL, the idea of adding someone who allegedly serially harassed and assaulted women over his time in Houston isn't going to sit well with a good chunk of the Eagles' fanbase.

Watson is an All-Pro talent... but is that really worth Howie Roseman & Co. selling their soul? On-field failings to the side, the Eagles are generally an organization fans have been proud to support over the years. This move might challenge that notion.

For what it's worth, Schefter also said he wouldn't entirely rule out the Eagles pursuing Aaron Rodgers, but he's under the impression the Packers wouldn't trade Rodgers to a strong franchise within the NFC.

Ultimately, this all might be for naught - if Jalen Hurts plays well, we'll all stop talking about quarterback trades - but for now it's worth continuing to read between the lines as we await Roseman's inevitable next big splash.

8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Their three first round picks this year and maybe a fourth for DeShaun and a sixth would be just fine. As long as numbnuts the coach is willing to play Mills as a starter for at least half the season to see what he has.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Would they throw in Hurts also ?

houston19519 likes this.
  10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

Trade him whenever his legal issues are done or when a team is willing to trade for him at a lot of value regardless of the on-going legal issues.

12. Fantasma Negro

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Fantasma Negro

15. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They should have just made Cal accept putting the Texans on Hard Knocks.... talk about entertaining!

clos4life likes this.
  16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

How about this: Deshaun leads the Texans to the Superbowl while under a cloud of suspicion. That was my LSD-fueled fuel fantasy...I guess. What a story that would be.....LOL.

All QBs would be lined-up for Butthole massages.

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know.... I can see a world where the other NFL owners get with Goodell and seek to stymie the player empowerment movement where the under-contract player starts to force their way out from their current team. So the NFL slow plays the Watson decision (citing some sort of precedent) in hopes the two parties figure something out and the NFL doesn't turn into the NBA with respect to stars calling all the shots.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

As far as the Deshaun Watson case, my understanding based on conversations today is that the league is still in “fact-finding and monitor mode.” 1/3

An NFL source also made a point that in previous prominent cases involving players put on the Exempt List and/or that were subject to the Conduct Policy, league action was accelerated around those seeking to remain with their current team. 2/3

I’m told, given there’s league sentiment that Deshaun Watson’s situation with the Texans is different in that regard, the sense is that “there isn’t a need to do anything too early,” as of now, per source.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

But they’d still have to pay him right? Not sure how that is leverage. If you are DW4, this is the best case scenario realistically.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So if DW4 reports do the Texans cut Tyrod or Driskel?