1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

This is where i'm at except i've already talked myself into being happy if he's the pick because i trust our environment would help him fulfill his potential. I just worry if it's a long wait, Tilly will lose patience and trade him and our future for some win now moves.

If it's Mobley, i hope we don't try and fit him into a box/mold him into a strictly traditional big but give him opportunities to handle the ball and be as versatile as possible and although Hakeem is older and not in Houston as much, i would like to see what Hakeem could do with a guy who is actually mobile enough to learn Hakeems moves vs. the stiff kind of bigs he trained with in the past.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Mobley is too talented and physically gifted to be a complete bust, IMO. He's clearly an NBA player. This isn't like a Dragan Bender or Darko where they had no accomplishments to speak off and were drafted completely based on height and potential. If Mobley is a bust it'll be a Marvin Bagley-type situation, where he's an okay player while the guys drafted right after him are amazing.

If Jalen Green busts he'll probably be Jordan Clarkson, all points with no defense and middling efficiency. If Mobley busts he'll probably be Jeff Green, a guy that should have been able to guard 1-5 and put up triple doubles but was just mediocre and passionless for the vast majority of his career. Fortunately for us I don't think either one will be a bust. I don't think we can lose in this draft.

#1742 MrButtocks, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL - do not think @foggy94 is actually on your side on this one.

He is more fade for Cade. Then Mobley Tribe. Green Gang third.

There is a reason the advanced stats analysts prefer Cade and Mobley over Green.

#1743 D-rock, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

carolbmt likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

"advanced stats". These people played in completely different leagues. How the hell can we make comparisons of advanced stats when they faced totally different competition.

Mobley and Cade played against some NBA level players, some journeymen international league level players and then the guys who will never play pro sports again and will be coaches, accountants, teachers etc.

Jalen Green played against at worse international leagues journey men. He played against some NBA veterans also. They were all pro. Even for the worst player in the Gleague, basketball is their full time career.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

What an inane question?

You compare advanced stats with similar players playing similar positions in the SAME league.

Comparing Green and Mobley's advanced stats together is an exercise in foolishness.

But you dont need to compare their advance stats to see that 1 player is not positionless while the other is.

You dont need to use advanced stats to see that one player impacts both offense and defense at high level while the other only impacts one side of the ball.

You dont need to compare advance stats to see that 1 player is about winning and making teammates better while the other has been more focused on his own production.

You use advanced stats to compare apples to apples.

Like comparing Mobley to other high draft bigs who also played in NCAA.

Is your comprehension this feeble or are you trying to gaslight us again?

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

100% you draft Mobley for all those things you see him do. Run some of the offense through him. If he’s just a pick and pop/roll guy or a spot up shooter it would be a travesty. Dream could help with some low block footwork.

hakeem94, D-rock and Caesar like this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I've noticed the same, posted that Anthony Bennett was hidden at UNLV
    and did some damage against inferior competition (article mentioned) but
    it did not translate to the NBA.

Where as Anthony Bennett was a washout, Evan Mobley will be average.
    16 points a game for his career is a disappointment from a #2 pick.
    Especially while watching Cade and Green doing above average things.

King1 likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Let me re-state this. Mobley and Cade played against some NBA level players, some journeymen international league level players and then the guys who will Neves play pro sports again and will be coaches, accountants, teachers etc.

Green played against some NBA level players, some journeymen international league level players and then the guys who will Neves play pro sports again and will be coaches, accountants, teachers etc.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

#Positionless

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No, he presented a thread on the Silas scheme breakdown.

I won't ask anyone to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

Verbal Christ and BamBam like this.
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don’t think you can be elite averaging that many boards. I think he has the raw skills, I am just afraid I’ve seen this story play our way too many times. His offensive game is really below my liking.

Dobbizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  13. mightybosstone

Let me put it this way. If Mobley doesn't pan out as an NBA player, I seriously doubt it will be because he couldn't crash the glass. His arms are practically longer than my entire body. If he doesn't make it, it will probably be because he didn't develop more of an offensive game. But even if he doesn't, I think his skillset on the defensive end and passing skills ought to still make him a competent NBA starter. If Green doesn't pan out, and he's truly a chucker who can't defend or create for others, then you're in way more trouble.

That being said, again, I think both guys should end up as at least NBA starters with borderline All-Star potential. I just think Mobley has the higher floor and ceiling.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Even Chet Holmgren and Vicror Wembanyana did not average double digit boards.

But I'm certain they will have no trouble at all rebounding at NBA level.

15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

scottie barnes will be a better player than mobley. book it.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

How did this guy end up as 1 of the best rebounders in the league?

[​IMG]

look at those scrawny shoulders

D-rock likes this.
  17. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

shoulders too small…elbows too pointy

will never be a good rebounder

pass

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

imagine if Capela could not only rebound and protect the rim, but also really hold his own out on the perimeter with switches…oh, and imagine if he couldn’t just rim run and catch lobs, but actually shoot it well from midrange with the possibility of being a decent 3 point shooter, hit free throws, pass, and handle the rock a little

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  19. Bo6

Bo6 Member

no offense but you're kinda proving the point you're mocking with these pics. clints body frame looks pretty broad and stout here..

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

broud and stout indeed

[​IMG]

looks like the Hulk

D-rock likes this.