1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis Antetokounmpo appreciation thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Jul 19, 2021.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Bron has a bigger ego but also has better skill. He is middle sized Shaq imo if Shaq was a hard worker

Easy and Jontro like this.
  2. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Thought he didn't like counting, LOL.

3. Caesar

Caesar Member

Crazy to think about his transformation physically and how the majority of his success came from just getting physically bigger and keeping his explosion and athletic ability. Watching his earlier highlights, it looks like the same exact player. He just got bigger and it allowed him to be more aggressive barreling toward the basket. He really exploded at the age of 23 and it makes me think of a 24 year old rookie David Robinson and how D-Rob would play if he were to come into the league today-although you could question if he would have similar aggression as D-Rob settled a lot and picked up his dribble and got caught in trouble a lot-though that was a back to the basket era. Giannis is like David Robinson coming into todays league with Shaq level aggression in using his size against others. Just like there were those who prefer Shaq over the polished skills and footwork and finesse of Hakeem, the same will be for Giannis camp vs Hakeem. I personally prefer the more skilled player. It's why i never really got into Lebron's game either. He's been like a Shaq/Malone of SF's, albeit with far more perimeter skill than Giannis, but the vast majority of his scoring is all near the basket from barreling downhill like Giannis. The rest of Brons scoring is mediocre at best. They're all boring to watch.

Defensively, Giannis may be more versatile and Hakeem a better post and rim protector, but again, it's 2 different eras. Hakeem's entire mentality of his own and his peers era was to not allow anyone in the paint. Today, he'd have to be far more versatile all over the floor which of course physically prime Hakeem was capable of. Most casual fans and new fans heading forward will only know Hakeem from his championship year highlights and post, all of which was Hakeem in his 30's. 24,25,26 year old Hakeem absolutely could cover the whole floor like a prime KG.

Just my opinion which will always have bias since were Rockets fans on a Rockets forum. The feeling i had when Hakeem brought us a title, i can only imagine how Bucks fans feel and how they will forever have bias for Giannis and he's still got A LOT of prime years left. His resume will easily surpass Hakeems at this trajectory.

HillBoy, Easy and Patience like this.
  4. verysimplejason

Wow! Really??? That's 50 points. Do you think they win without Giannis? Give to the person what's due. As for Harden, in the first place, a "healthy" Harden is entirely dependent to him. If he comes everytime in shape, there'll be higher chances that he's healthy.

5. verysimplejason

In the end, it's whatever works, whatever it takes. Just take a look at past champions, MJ, Magic, Curry, etc... MJ, he got wiser, more moves, Magic just made his passes better and more accurate, and Curry, he's small, unathletic compared to most but he's a deadly shooter. Why do something you can't physically do? Just focus on your strengths and contribute. Even Duncan and Hakeem, they just stuck to what works, middle/post game and defense. Kudos to Giannis for working hard to get that body. He knows he's not a shooter so just go for the drives. Nowadays, drives and 3pointers are the better shots. If you can't shoot it, dunk it. :)

Major likes this.
  6. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

D-Rob is bigger and better scoring Otis Thorpe when compared to Giannis. The physical play would also allow to be more aggressive. No way Robinson is anywhere near as athletic as Giannis. He wouldn't be able to back track and block Ayton's dunk attempt. It's Lebron, Hakeem, Dwight and Westbrook that can do that.

B. Griffin and D. Jordan might be able to as well.

7. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Harden could literally do whatever he wanted in terms of practice etc. He was often played a couple pick-up games and then shot solo with nobody around him. Giannis went by the book and ran plays with his team in practice.

verysimplejason likes this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Nah David Robinson was far more athletic than Thorpe, come on man. He could make that play too. If Giannis is more athletic, it's that he's slightly more nimble an athlete being 2 inches smaller with an overall smaller frame than the Admiral. Giannis just has the handles of the modern day. They train these guys in perimeter play the way the all time HOF bigs weren't allowed to back then so i think it maybe deceives you into thinking someone is far more athletic when you see them handling the ball outside.

Look at the first play of this defensive highlight reel. Also look around the 2:54 mark against the Rockets, notice where David Robinson starts out after a jump and how fast he recovers for the block with the opposite hand as he got there too quick. That could have easily been an alley-oop block as well. Giannis block was huge b/c of it's impact on the biggest stage, but it's one many others could do. He wasn't back tracking, he was horizontal and watched as the alley-oop was coming and was already turning into a forward momentum from his lateral movement. Impressive, but many other greats can do that too.

Sanctity likes this.
  9. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

I think the bigs back then didn't have the space to dribble because defenders were allowed to do so much more. Who knows, different eras.

Caesar likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Very true, but they had opportunities on fast breaks. Chuckster really was the one with the freedom to go coast to coast and Shaq and all the bigs wanted and probably could do it too, but they were put in a box back then. CWebb, KG, young Duncan, young Dirk all could grab the defensive rebound and go coast to coast.
    Giannis is a freak specimen no duobt, but David Robinson was a rare specimen in his own right. Just look how he dwarfs Michael and makes him look like a child. I would love to see prime David next to Giannis

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

@Sanctity are you in the Mobley mob? Do you think he can play downhill like Giannis? Do you think he can build his body up while retaining all his athletic explosion and quickness?

12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

David Robinson likely relisted at 6'11 like D Andre Ayton and Jordan 6'4. The personal space didn't exist as much back then which is what made Jordan gratifying as he could handle that ball in such physical close quarters.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Tim Duncan was 6'11 and Robinson was clearly 2 or more inches taller than Duncan so that would mean Duncan was really like 6'8.5 if D-Rob was only 6'11. Jordan and Kobe both were shy of 6'5 without shoes and 6'6 in shoes. Robinson would likely be 7ft even without shoes.

14. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You seen David next to Shaq right?

15. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Young Robinson was a defensive whirlwind. He was an agile and athletic shotblocker. I think that part of his game faded a bit with age, and frankly he became more and more of a finesse player as he got older. I also don't think I ever saw him play as hard as Giannis does. Robinson probably had the body and the athleticism to be a Giannis (with more shooting ability) but I don't think he ever had the motor or intensity that Giannis does.

Easy, Caesar and Sanctity like this.
  16. Caesar

Caesar Member

If you're talking about the screen shot from that video, it's just the angle and positioning. Standing straight up, they are nearly identical height and both listed at 7'1 in shoes.

17. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

D-Rob has maybe the same wingspan as his listed height while Giannis is more like a 7-5 + like Durant and AD just from the "eye test". Shorter arms plus immense traffic (rules of the era) in that personal space to not to be able to handle the ball like Giannis.

Patience likes this.
  18. Caesar

Caesar Member

100% agreed on both points. Robinson did lose a lot of his versatility, i think he started having knee issues as early as 93, but he also just kept getting bigger and bigger and lost explosion. Giannis on the other hand is shredded and lean like a younger Robinson and can stay that way since there's no Shaq and other HOF post players to face. I believe D-Rob was Giannis's current age on the Dream team and i'd say Robinson already had more mass than Giannis at that point.

Patience likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, prime Robinson's game was more in the Kevin Garnett mold, long and lean, freakishly athletic. DRob was more of a traditional center and KG was part of the new wave "don't call me a center" big men.

20. Rocket_Man_2.0

He didn't have to face a healthy Kyrie either...Giannis put his foot in Kyries landing spot so he'll get injured...it was intentional.

I don't give credit to dirty players...Giannis deserves no appreciation! 1:34

#240 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021