1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

Well how do you decide what to retweet or not retweet?

2. dmoneybangbang

Unlike you, I can admit when things have changed. Trading Harden for Simmons would have been a bad move.

Simmons got completely exposed offensively to the point where his defense didn’t matter.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

I can admit when I'm wrong and have done so.

Trading for Simmons package would have been a DIFFERENT move, there is a difference.

Rockets very likely end up exactly where they are now.

Just because YOU are incapable of seeing something doesn't make it any less real.

Which is surprising considering your penchant for alternate realities.

4. dmoneybangbang

Rockets wouldn't be crossing their fingers to keep a top 4 pick if we traded for Simmons, we'd crossing our fingers we can make it to the playoffs and make a little splash.

The point of trading for Simmons isn't to bottom out.....

Nothing alternative about Simmons getting exposed.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If drafted Mobley will have the longest legs ever measured in the NBA at 61" without shoes.

6. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Looking at Mobley’s frame and body, I highly doubt he can put on some serious pounds of muscle.

I could be wrong but unless this dude focuses on his footwork and jump shot religiously, he has a high potential to be a bust.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

[​IMG]

8. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Mobley will be in the p*rn Business soon.

apollo33 likes this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Chris Duarte is an NBA player and a very good basis to gage if this "switchability" and perimeter 7 foot wing/defender is going to do the same things against the best competition in the world. All of those skill sets that Mobley gets credited for disappear sometimes. Why? Same thing happened against Gonzaga and Drew Timme. I've watched both of those games in their entirety over the last few days since they offered USC a good test with very skilled squads as well and Im a little underwhelmed. You seem to have alot of media to share so shoot me some tape of him dominating NBA worthy opponents - and offer me a counter. I hate to lay the burden of proof at your feet, but I have to assume you have all things Mobley ready at the click of a button.

Being able to perform under duress and in extreme pressure is something I covet in a player.

ApacheWarrior and cbass like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley doesn't always pump up his stats, not sure how much he cares about individual accolades.

A coach's son. He has always been team first.

Duarte got his numbers.

But Mobley got the win.

https://dailytrojan.com/2021/03/29/usc-trounces-oregon-to-advance-to-elite-eight/

And FYI, Mobley may not have scored 20 like Duarte but he did rack up 6 assists in addition to his 10 pts, 8 rebounds 2 blocks in limited amount of minutes since USC eviscerated Oregon, Ducks worst thrashing in NCAA tournament play in 2 decades.

6 assists not bad for 7 footer.

#1730 D-rock, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

Is that good or bad?

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good for long-jumping. Not great for establishing position under the basket. But he is not really expected to be much of a rebounder.

#1732 Haymitch, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    ApacheWarrior likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Look at what Azuolas Tubelis did vs Mobley. He controlled the paint and more than held his own against him. Zona lost the 1st game, and won the rematch. Tubelis OWNED the boards in both games.

In the loss to Colorado Mobley was a nonfactor. Same the following game vs Utah. Neither team had bigs of note. Same for game vs Kansas, He's not seperating himself from NBA level talent at the collegiate level.

Im trying to isolate and identify his supposed strengths in real time vs live action HIGH CALIBER opponents and Im struggling.

Not trying to offend you bro, just taking the deep dive.

edit:

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

This

Mobley is highly overrated

I wait for videos breaking down the poor play of Mobley and never get it.

The West Coast hype machine never want to show Mobley getting pinned
    under the rim so easily by non heavyweights or not boxing out. If I had a gif
    creator I would break it down.

Plus show how Bassey fits in with the Silas system perfectly.

Nathan Fogg where are you? Staying neutral uhh
    That's ok, it will all come out sooner or later

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im going through all of USC games right now. Its starting to seem to me that they tried to hide Mobley on inferior opponents while matched up against more notable interior bigs during the year. Strange that Mobley even has different energy when he's playing scrubs like California Baptist and Montana vs Oregon, Zona or Zaga .. he shrinks in big game moments and doesn't rise to the opponent. I don't like that.

How do you teach or coach a killer instinct into players who dont have it?

Bo6 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  16. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

20+ point scorers are increasingly common in today's NBA, and thus easier to trade for down the line. I would argue to that swinging for the fences - and taking the time to develop our basketball players patiently - should be our strategy.

We need to stop thinking of Mobley as a "big" if we truly embrace positionless basketball. He is the most versatile player available at #2, and he plays with a team-first mentality that leads to wins, if not youtube highlights.

D-rock likes this.
  17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be clear, I am GreenGang and there is virtually no chance i change my mind pre-draft. But its at most 60/40 and sometimes as close as like 52/48.

So when you say look at this game for example, Tubelis didn't own the boards. Mobley outrebounded him the first game. Tubelis owned the boards the second game though. And Tubelis did score a lot, but in the first game Mobley had a 132 Ortg and a 94 DRtg. He was not as good the second game.

Again, I'm GreenGang. My concerns about Mobley are much the same as yours. Mediocre rebounder, bullied by size, doesn't have the fluidity for a wing quite yet even if he has some wing-like skills, etc.

However, I fully admit he has unique potential upside and impacts boxscore in more way than pure basic stats.

D-rock, noppeper and Verbal Christ like this.
  18. TimDuncanDonaut

[​IMG]

Let me tell you the Battle of 2021, where unrest between the Green Guys and Mobley Men. It divided the community, months leading into the fateful day of July 29th (Thur). General Stone rode into battle and settle the conflict once and for all.

Jonathan Kuminga. :eek::p

(kidding), it's ok to differ in opinion, but if neither side is changing mind, maybe we just let each side be, unless new information comes out.

Have a good rest of the day.

Bo6, sydmill, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think its all confidence. He plays well when he has confidence. Bigger teams and big game moments...less confidence. He shrinks.

Imagine his confidence when he hits the NBA.

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Right thanks for the correction - I’m getting drowned in videos, breakdowns and speculative opinions. It’s all starting to run together. I need to take a break. I have gotten the games mixed up. Regardless I was impressed with Tubelis vs “the best big in college”.

My point was that vs NBA level talent Mobley doesn’t separate himself. I’ve read posts about these other worldly defensive abilities and impacts, but I’m missing it via my eye test - at least in notable games. I can’t work myself up over NBA level players beating up on average college opponents. Im solely focusing on his defense while I swim through the information since that is supposed to be his calling card from the jump.

Maybe you can point me towards the data where Mobley played well vs NBA level opponents?

I think Mobley is a very good player that could grow into an all star level talent just like all the top guys, but there is something to be said for getting up vs the best of the best.

Jalen Green only played 14 games as a pro last year on a team that was hastily assembled and lacked chemistry. It was still vs NBA level talent for every one of those games. He took his lumps and looked his age a lot, but by the end of that small sample size it was clear that he was improving.

Wish Green would have gone to college and out on a show to keep the comps apples to apples, but it is what it is.

I’m on record saying I’d be fine with Mobley. Don’t hate him, not my first choice and I’m actually trying to talk myself into him as the choice, but I can’t get there.