1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Our AD is miles better than yours. *shrug*

Oh and that championship banner is gonna look so pretty in the new field house

#22 sammy, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I have no idea what will happen. I would think they’d find a place. There’s 64 spots if there are 4 superconferences. But I don’t know.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to insult you. I was just making a prediction. I mean, it seems like the AAC is a pretty likely landing stop for Baylor. What were you thinking?

5. MadMax

There’s 65 teams in P5 schools right? So presumably all but 1 would be in a super conference.

sammy likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Well that escalated quickly.

MadMax likes this.
  7. HTXSportsAddict

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If this kicks off a land rush to the 4x64 model we are in for one wild ass ride.

MadMax likes this.
  9. MadMax

Agreed and I’m assuming it will.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

99ers >
    Adding Texas and OU, two of the highest revenue teams regardless of record will only make the SEC and players richer.

the rest of the big 12 will have to join the pac 12 or big 10 or add to form super conferences

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Worthless prediction time!

WVU and Cinci/ND -> ACC

Kansas and Iowa State/Virginia/Pitt/ND -> B1G

(in the off chance the ACC loses a school to the B1G, maybe they add Navy or Temple?)

PAC is a wildcard because they seem least likely to expand.

Leftovers of the AAC and Big 12 merge, maybe go after BYU.

#31 DonnyMost, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  12. sammy

I know that would be disappointing for many of us. I guess we could play UH, Tech and Texas out of conference still but this would be a sucky result when we’re about to drop a billion dollars on campus

https://www.baylor.edu/mediacommunications/news.php?action=story&story=223438

13. sammy

In Mack Rhoades We Trust. As long he’s around, we’re on solid ground, but he could end up leaving if we are shut out.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Unless Mack has pictures of somebody really important ****ing a goat, I don't think he's going to make a bit of difference in determining your fate.

All pretty much everybody (who isn't UT/OU) can do is just grab onto their asscheeks and pray that they've done enough of their homework over the last 10 years to get the call they want when the **** hits the fan.

whag00, sammy, MadMax and 1 other person like this.
  15. H.D.

H.D. Member

Like all moneyed Republicans, eaTame's "principles" will be purchased for a cash payout.

BMoney likes this.
  16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Not sure why you'd say that. A&M is going to vote no regardless. The problem is they're just one voice, and not a tenured one at that.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I assumed it was a ploy to steal thunder from SEC Media Day and Saban boasting about Texas recruits making millions at Alabama.

No way Texas would give up their network and the money that comes with it. But maybe the SEC will allow it or restructure it into something else?

I'd have mixed feelings. It's a FUN move. But the Big 12 would be done. Out of business. And the SEC would be so much better than any other conference, with so many more resources than any other conference... They'll find a way to pay everyone. If you're not in the SEC you wont matter.

It would be... kind of... weird. Cool. Fun. But weird. Unfair?

mtbrays likes this.
  18. Major

Major Member

Besides the LHN issue (which seems easy enough to work out), TX and OU have their media rights locked into the B12 until 2025. I can't imagine the league's members would let go of that without securing good spots for enough of the members to vote to eliminate those media rights. And even then, I'm not sure that's the type of vote that could be done with a majority and screw over the remaining members? If they did it right and wanted it to be rock solid, they'd have made it require unanimous consent to break.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

This is an antiquated way of thinking about things. This is bigger than winning football games. The highest paid collegiate athletes right now are two female twin volleyball players at Fresno St. This is about creating a content producing and marketing behemoth in the fastest growing region in the country. Worrying about the competitive balance of SEC football is mostly immaterial. By bringing in UT (Austin) and OU (DFW) the SEC can become a self-sustaining powerhouse.

It’s 2021. Think bigger.

mtbrays likes this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think this is mostly about preparing for the inevitable min-maxing of the conferences.

The writing has been on the wall for a while that when the GORs started expiring in the mid 2020s, all hell was going to break loose.

The whole NIL thing just poured accelerant on everything.

Texas and OU aren't stupid. They know the Big 12 is not a permanent solution. Both UT and OU were slowly bleeding under the current arrangement. This is them reading the room and knowing that, given the B12's inevitable collapse, would they rather undertake the transition or have the transition undertake them?

If I'm UT/OU, there's no better personal outcome for me than joining the SEC. By doing this, they are effectively creating the college athletics equivalent of a death star. They have secured their futures indefinitely.

EDIT:

This could also just be UT/OU threatening to piss in FOX's cheerios if they don't fix their problems with the media deal ahead of the GOR extension.

#40 DonnyMost, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021