1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers Rumors: Magic Johnson Pushes LA to Sign Chris Paul | Heavy.com

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

During a recent radio interview, Magic Johnson hinted at the Los Angeles Lakers potentially landing Chris Paul this offseason. ESPN’s Jay Williams asked Johnson if Paul could be an option for the Lakers if the point guard declines his player option with the Suns to become a free agent.

“No question about it. I’d tell Jeanie I’d ask some money for CP3,” Johnson responded, per ESPN 710 Los Angeles. “It’d be perfect for LeBron, for AD, and for the role players.”

The challenge for the Lakers is they cannot just set aside money as Johnson suggested. The Lakers’ cap space is nearly completely allotted with just the following four players on the roster: LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Kyle Kuzma.

Los Angeles is projected to be deep into luxury-tax territory next season. The Lakers would not only need a recruiting pitch from Paul’s good friend King James but would also have to orchestrate a sign-and-trade with the Suns. Given Phoenix is now a title contender, the Suns are unlikely to help a Western Conference foe land Paul.

Magic: CP3 Has the ‘Laker Mentality’
    During a separate interview on ESPN’s Keyshawn, JWill & Zubin, Johnson referenced a 2011 trade that was vetoed that would have had Paul wearing a Lakers uniform. Johnson described Paul as a player that has the “Laker mentality.”

“I was at the game in L.A. when he said, ‘Oh, the Lakers came back. Let me put a stop to this. I’m going to take over, score the next four possessions.’ And the game was over,” Johnson explained. “I love the way Chris Paul thinks the game. See, he has that Laker mentality, and I’m still mad at the NBA for not letting that trade go through [in 2011]. He should have been a Laker a long time ago.”

Paul averaged 16.4 points, 8.9 assists and 4.5 rebounds while shooting 39.5% from the 3-point line in 70 starts this season. The All-Star helped turn around the Suns from a team who had not made the postseason in more than a decade to a legitimate title contender.

Paul Reportedly Plans to Opt Out in Search of a Long-Term Contract

Paul is slated to earn a $44.2 million salary next season, so if the point guard chooses to become a free agent he will be looking for more of a lucrative long-term deal. Bleacher Report’s Eric Pincus reported Paul plans to opt out of his deal in favor of landing a multi-year contract.

“Paul has a $44.4 million player option, which according to several sources, he intends to decline with hopes of inking a new multiyear deal (perhaps in the $100 million range over three seasons),” Pincus detailed on June 3.

How could the Lakers acquire Paul in a sign-and-trade? Pushing aside the reality that Phoenix is unlikely to help Los Angeles, the Lakers’ offer would start with Kyle Kuzma and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope but would likely need some help with some of their own free agents pulling off a sign-and-trade of their own. Montrezl Harrell, Dennis Schroder and Talen Horton-Tucker are just some of the Lakers’ potential free agents.

None of this technical analysis factors in Paul’s close relationship with James. The Lakers star has been open about his desire to play with Paul before their careers end. During a 2017 interview with Bleacher Report, James discussed the idea of one day teaming up with Paul.

“I really hope that, before our career is over, we can all play together,” James told Bleacher Report at the time. “At least one, maybe one or two seasons—me, Melo, D-Wade, CP—we can get a year in. I would actually take a pay cut to do that.”

The Lakers face an uphill battle not only to make the logistics work but also to lure Paul away from Phoenix. With the Suns reaching the NBA Finals, we can expect Paul to re-sign with Phoenix on a longer deal this offseason.

Lakers Rumors: Magic Johnson Pushes LA to Sign Chris Paul | Heavy.com

2. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

It's possible. Suns GM is former Lebron James teammate James Jones. CP3 could give the Suns the option of

A. Sign and trade me to the Lakers in an opt in sign and trade or

B. I will sign outright with the Knicks and you will receive no compensation....

It would be a total strong arm move.

3. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Love Magic but his extreme Laker whoring for super teams is rather pathetic

4. Major

Major Member

Of course the Lakers and Lebron want Chris Paul. But half his value is in his mentorship of young players and ability to manage a ball-movement offense. On a team with Lebron, you're not managing the offense - it would be the Rockets situation all over again and likely would end badly with him getting annoyed with everyone.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Depends on the price. Maybe they can do a schroeder/cp3 SnT.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why would pheonix want schroeder? He was terrible in the playoffs.

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

F that! I wish Hakeem would do the same thing for us!

Jontro likes this.
  8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Lakers have the option of finding someone willing to pay Schroeder $25M a year and working out a sign and trade with that team for a large trade exception, then they could use that trade exception to sign and trade for CP3. I think that's legal.

roslolian likes this.
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Paul took the Suns as far they can go and he has a year or two left -- wouldn't be surprised at all if he signs with the Lakers.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Will Chris Paul run it back with Phoenix?
    [​IMG]BY MARC J. SPEARS@MARCJSPEARS
    With the Suns losing in the Finals, the focus turns to the point guard’s future

According to sources, LeBron James and the Los Angeles Lakers have been on the hunt for a veteran point guard, and Paul is on the list. There have also been talks about Washington Wizards star Russell Westbrook being a potential candidate to move back home to Los Angeles in a sign-and-trade deal that could include free agent point guard Dennis Schroder, forward Kyle Kuzma and guard Talen Horton-Tucker, sources said.

For Paul to join forces with James for the first time in their careers, it would likely take a sign-and-trade with the Suns. The most the over-the-cap Lakers can offer Paul without a sign-and-trade is a $9.5 million taxpayer midlevel exception. The attraction of chasing his first championship with James, Anthony Davis and the Lakers could be an appealing option for Paul to ponder. Keep in mind that Paul, a former LA Clippers star, still lives in Los Angeles with his wife and two kids.

Paul has earned $259 million in his career. If Paul does opt out, it’s most likely he’ll re-sign with the Suns. But also keep an eye on Paul’s former agent Leon Rose, who is now president of the New York Knicks. Paul is also close to soon-to-be former Suns assistant coach Willie Green, who could certainly use a veteran point guard when he takes over as coach of the New Orleans Pelicans and may at least make an inquiry call, too. If Paul departs from Phoenix, he would be playing for his fifth team since 2017.

Once the dust settles on the disappointment of losing the Finals, Paul will have time to truly reflect on what wearing a Suns uniform has meant to him.

Paul showed his value as one of the elite point guards in the league, and his ability to bring the best out of young stars in Phoenix. What also counts in Phoenix’s favor is Paul has close relationships with Suns general manager James Jones and head coach Monty Williams, who praised the point guard for being one of the NBA’s greatest players with or without a championship.

How much Paul wants to win a championship ring could play a big role in whether he stays or goes. The West will get tougher next season with the Lakers, Clippers and Golden State Warriors all getting healthier. Paul or no Paul, the Suns will be far from NBA Finals favorites. But after Phoenix rose to unexpected heights this season, can anyone count the Suns out if Paul returns?

While it’s already hot in Phoenix due to the Finals loss (and 100-plus degree temperature), what happens with Paul will certainly make the Suns sweat even more.

“It will take a while to process this or whatnot, but it’s the same mentality, get back to work,” Paul said. “I ain’t retiring, if that’s what you’re asking. That’s out. So, back to work.”
    Will Chris Paul run it back with Phoenix? (theundefeated.com)

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe PHX would be ok with 25/yr for Scroedder. Tbh he complements Booker better than Cp3 and he is younger too.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'm highly doubtful Chris Paul is opting out. That would be the biggest sacrifice he's made for his career, but this is not the best time to be doing it.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If he gets 3years 100 that is probably safer than taking 1 yr 44 at his age.

clos4life, RedRedemption and hakeem94 like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Envisioned this scenario a while ago. again, at this point I feel strongly that cp3 is on his way to being a laker next season and signing a 2-3 year deal to finish his career. That 1 year deal isn't really much of a factor at this stage for someone like him. just like okc, hes left his mark on a young team so now it's time for them to try to grow on their own.

The Lakers desperately need a pg like cp3 in their lineup.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Wait...isn't that tampering?
    [​IMG]

BamBam and Easy like this.
  16. s3ts

s3ts Member

Feels like he's not worth that either.

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

glad yannis won it without a superteam. now the league can go back to focus on justice league teams again.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So is Chris Paul so heavy that he’s going to become LeBron’s brother in arms, Magic?
    Am I supposed to know what Heavy.com is? I guess I do now, more or less, which is likely the point of the column.

Easy and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Charles Barkley - "Does LeBron want all the good players, does he not want to compete".

Sadly the NBA is not the Warriors, Bucks model in Drafting and Developing for 6 years.

20. TimDuncanDonaut

I'm normally against fat shaming, because if you choose to fat shame Heavy.com. it is A-OK in my book.