1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis was right.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Josh Smith, Jul 20, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

Well sure, but my point was that being better at the mid range is something that is achievable for someone like Harden who shot a career 85% FT.

2. HP3

HP3 Member

Lmao we were the 8th seed playing the number 1 seed but okay fine. Was game 5 not an elimination game? Go check his stats there. He had a great games 2,3 an 4 that series. Again, they were the number one seed. And Westbrook played that very first and some of that second game.

Then in game 7 he had 31 points on 56 TS% So what then?

So why dont you tell me what happend last game against GS. 45 points while being by far the best player on the team in a loss. Game 2 of that same series, Harden 38 points on very high TS% in a one point loss. Dont talk about that huh, that game wasnt important huh.

Worst game of his career, you can have this one. But for reference, I will give you Lebron game from 2011. https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201106090DAL.html

Are you kidding me? Lmao he had a 58 TS% that game with 35 points. Thats not the game you want to use.

There is the context. See.

3. Fefo

Fefo Member

and to think a lot of people in this forum though Harden was better than Giannis haha . At 26 he is already 2x mvp, finals mvp, dpoy and champion.
    Meanwhile Harden at 31 forced his way out of a team just to go eat burgers at new jersey.

CVcrew likes this.
  4. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Is this what it was like when Moses Malone ended up in Philly or when Hayes went to the Capitals? A bunch of people calling them out. Harden is not a Rocket anymore but while he was here he gave us 100%. Even as a Net the man looked to help the city in our time of need. Y'all want to celebrate the Bucks championship like a bunch of band wagoners go ahead. I'm not. I'm a Rockets fan and Harden was one of us. He had his faults and I'm sure he knew that. He needed help we just couldn't afford it. Stuff happens. People can now join the Bucks fanboard if they like.

snowconeman22, joshuaao and HP3 like this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You asked me which ones. So I showed you which ones I was talking about. I never said he did poorly EVERY game. You don't think that's a glaring weakness for a franchise player to disappear in so many elimination games? I'd actually give him some slack for the earlier years when he wasn't fully mature. But his overall stats in elimination games the past 6 years or so (his prime) aren't very good for a guy who is supposed to be able to carry his team. I don't even want to pin those losses on him because there were factors that he couldn't control. But his individual performance in must-win situations is what defines him as a great player.

blahblehblah likes this.
  6. Jontro

Jontro Member

so like... yannis doe... amirite?

7. HP3

HP3 Member

Because ALL the games are important. I...you are listing out situations where we were at the end of our rope. ALL the games matters. If you are at a point where you are being eliminated, you are likely going home. Was game 5 not an elimination game for that series for OKC? Was everyone's beloved game 7 not an elimination game against the Clippers.? You talk about the game 5 where we are already down 3-1 at the end of our rope like it matters more than the 3 previous games we lost before? Do they not matter? Of course they do. It takes 4 to win. And then you ignore that Lebron, Kawhi, Curry, whoever all have had moments like these.

I dont understand who elimination game stats have become this hyper focused thing where it like compiles the majority of someone's playoff performance. https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201005130BOS.html Lebron game 6 vs the Celtics. Eliminated. Game 4 against the Warriors https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201806080CLE.html https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201206050MIA.html Game 5 against the Celtics. Not an elimination game but DAMN.

Here is one from Kawhi https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201605120OKC.html Ahh screw it, here is ANOTHER one from Kawhi https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/202009150LAC.html And guess what lmao that was worse than Harden's game 6.

Important games. You see how easy its for me to do. Do you really not get that this crap is so overblown.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

A lot of these people never liked him. They back a heartless logo. They dont back the people. They only like Hakeem because they brought a chip, otherwise they would slander him too, regardless of circumstance.

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

These guys have all led their teams to multiple titles. They've earned the benefit of the doubt.

Jontro likes this.
  10. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Curry didnt lead anything.

Dude lucked out with his first title playing with a deep healthy squad and let KD get him another 2.

How can you "lead" a team, go to the finals 4 times and not walk away with 1 finals mvp and burn a 3-1 advantage?

Rocket_Man_2.0 likes this.
  11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Curry was the engine of the Warriors offense. Not sure how that's debatable. Can you explain why you think the MVP of the league isn't the leader of his own team?

Who knows? He outscored the next highest Warrior by about 10 ppg in their first title series. To me, that's clearly deserving.

In any case, Curry, Lebron, and Kawhi have proven themselves. Harden hasn't. That's why Harden doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

12. Clutch City1993

Supporting Member

1. Curry changed the game with his unique range and won the hearts of the media (who vote for the mvp)

2. Put Harden on those GSW squads and he would at least have a couple of rings.

Harden took scrub teams to the postseason (players like Jones and Dmo who arent even in the league anymore)

Curry couldnt even lead his squad to a playoff berth with a play in opportunity

Rocket_Man_2.0 and HP3 like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

People really just dont care about circumstnace. No one really cares, Harden was right.

Jontro and Clutch City1993 like this.
  14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Doubtful. I can't imagine Draymond Green flourishing with Harden. In fact, it's more likely that they'd feud.

Who cares? Is the objective to win a title? Or to make the postseason?

Yep, he couldn't carry a trash supporting cast to the playoffs. But why does that matter? The objective is to win a title, not make the postseason.

15. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

FIFY

16. Clutch City1993

Supporting Member

1. So Draymond can't flourish with Harden but James helped put players like Capela on the map? He statistically made everyone better around him thanks to his assist numbers.

2. Has Harden ever had the luxury of a Draymond or Klay (who is arguably better than Curry)? Or a 6th man like A.I.? Livingston?

Curry played his role and blew it out the water. Harden contributed to Houston's offense (which won a coach of the year) more than Curry ever did on his own.

2 totally different roles and scenarios.

1 is clearly more cush

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Lmao, a man who never load managed once and you are gonna talk about 80% cmon dude.

18. wekko368

wekko368 Member

1. Capela can finish lobs. Draymond Green can't. Also, consider their games. Draymond Green is at his best when he's holding the ball and waiting for teammates to get open. Do you think that meshes well with Harden's style?

2. You're an idiot if you think Klay is arguably better than Curry.

Harden clearly had a harder path, but IMO, he shares blame for that. He couldn't co-exist with Dwight, CP3, or Westbrook. Can you really blame other stars for not wanting to come to Houston to be his Robin?

Curry was the foundation of the GSW offense. His role in their offense was as important as Harden's role in Houston's offense.

19. wekko368

wekko368 Member

There's nothing wrong with his logic. If you don't go full throttle, you don't need as much time to recover.

20. Clutch City1993

Supporting Member

1. Dray can hit 3s. Capela cant. One is way more difficult to facilitate (lobs)

2. Youre clearly some Curry jagoff but real basketball fans know a healthy Klay is arguably a more complete player than Steph.

3. Really bro? CP3? Who is notoriously hated by fans and players alike for his style of play? Dwight? Who was delusional thinking he was a #1 offensive option? (who was always neutralized when playing against another skilled big man named Yao)

Ok bro

Whatever you say

Oh and WB (who yelled for a double team) when being destroyed by the Lakers?

Series stats for WB in that Laker series: 26 dimes. 22 turnovers.

#340 Clutch City1993, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021