1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 4, 2021.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Easterby seemingly has Cal’s ear which makes him far more powerful regardless of title, responsibilities, etc…IMO. A slime ball and opportunist paired with a complete doofus is a dangerous combination.

2. HTXSportsAddict

But how much sway does he have over football decisions? Some are acting like Easterby is key in every decision Caserio makes and that just seems pretty hard to believe. If it's true....then I don't even know what to say.

raining threes likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

"After everything you've seen. After all the evidence. Why do you still refuse to believe, Scully?"

"I'm afraid to believe."

HillBoy likes this.
  4. Fantasma Negro

5. ballgame

ballgame Member

It SICKENS me that I can't root for my home team but Cal has drug this team down so far I just can't do it.....Go Ravens!

6. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

So after Cal kicks the bucket who's next in line? Patrick Fertitta? Mark Vandermeer? Masseuse # 17?

7. conquistador#11

[​IMG]

8. Fantasma Negro

Maybe the devil can buy it. He could buy it and then make decisions based on the whines of despondent Texans hostages that post on clutchfans

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Imagine a professional football team featuring highlights of Randall Cobb as a selling point....

10. raining threes

Easterby did what he was hired to do. (Dig up the dead bodies, mission accomplished) Then he reported back to Cal his findings and now he's back in the shadows.

11. raining threes

How has he drug the team down so far?

Where this team is right now is directly related to Cal's faith in Watson.

12. gucci888

Since Cal McNair took over, the Texans:

• Fired general manager Brian Gaine less than 18 months after he was essentially handpicked by coach Bill O’Brien.

• Didn’t hire a replacement for Gaine, instead choosing to give O’Brien more control over the personnel after the Patriots filed tampering charges because the Texans requested permission to talk to Nick Caserio.

**This does not mention Easterby being part of the GM Committee, the same guy who single handedly brought on the tampering charges. Also doesn't mention that Cal would fire Chris Olsen shortly after, the only guy on the committee with contract experience** - My edit.

• Waited until after the franchise tag deadline had passed to trade Jadeveon Clowney, so the team that traded for him could not sign him to a contract extension, thus lowering his value. The Texans got two players and a third-round pick in return, while paying half of Clowney’s salary when they finally traded him to Seattle.

• Traded two first-round picks to the Dolphins for Laremy Tunsil. One of the picks will be No. 3 overall in 2021.

• Handed out several large contracts during the season, including a deal to outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus that averages $13.5 million per season.

**This does not mention the Fairbairn and Eric Murray contracts** - My edit.

• Made O’Brien general manager in addition to head coach.

• Traded DeAndre Hopkins to the Cardinals for running back David Johnson and a second-round pick, getting less value in return for the All-Pro wide receiver.

• Agreed to take on David Johnson’s full contract, which paid him more than $11 million in 2020.

• Made Tunsil the highest-paid offensive tackle in NFL history, by $4 million more than the previous high.

• Fired O’Brien four games after he had been named general manager.

Yes, O’Brien made a lot of those personnel decisions, but it was McNair who gave someone with zero front-office experience the keys to an NFL front office and later had to deal with the repercussions.

https://www.espn.com/blog/houston-t...xample-of-texans-dysfunction-under-cal-mcnair

All of this occurred well before the Watson news came to light.

13. raining threes

Yep, cal should've paid the 1st rd pick to get Caserio here sooner.

What did Easterby have to do with most of these things other than dig up the dirt he was hired to do?

Yes, the Texans are where they're at today because of the Watson stuff. With a competent QB the Texans wouldn't be at the beginning of a rebuild.

I dont get why you're focused on the Gaine,Olson firings? Gaine had to be let go because Easterby dug up HR issues. Are you saying sexual harassment should be swept under the rug?

It was past time for Olson to go, 20 years and not even a AFCCG, I guess you liked the corporate boardroom structure of the Texans org. I wanted a full housecleaning and Easterby gone as well.

14. gucci888

Easterby tampered the Caserio pursuit which put the GM by Committee and everything that came after into motion. Should’ve Cal just paid the 1st rounder? Maybe but there was absolute zero reason for there to be an asking price but for Easterby being a complete idiot.

Also I didn’t bring up Gaine, that was the article. I was actually fine with making the move, so don’t be an ass and start talking about sweeping stuff under the rug. Olsen is a big one because Cal got talked into firing the only contracts guy on the committee. And guess who admittedly took over that responsibility…Fair to say we didn’t get anywhere with Olsen, but what came after him was a series of horrible contracts and deals that had us over the cap with almost zero draft equity the past 2 drafts.

I agree that there needed to be a complete housecleaning. And there was no better opportunity than this offseason in particular. But Cal decided against it. Yet you are still questioning Cal’s involvement?

15. raining threes

Where did you get that I was trying to be an ass out of that post?

Truth is the McNairs had been trying to get Caserio way before Easterby came to Kirby. Easterby did as he was told by Cal and made another run at Caserio. Easterby had Caserio and Cal refused to pay the price.

Agreed, but I'm not questioning Cal's involvement. Cal makes the final calls on changes in the org and that's also my point about Easterby, everything is Cal's final call. Easterby is just a well compensated employee carrying out Cal's wishes. Example: who made the call to sign Watson to that big contract? It sure wasn't Easterby.

16. gucci888

“Are you saying sexual harassment should be swept under the rug?”

Like I posted, I didn’t mention Gaine nor did I question his firing.

If Cal told Easterby to go to the ring ceremony at Robert Kraft’s house and talk about joining the Texans, then I’m not sure how else I can further explain Cal dragging this franchise into the ground. If Easterby did that on his own (which I believe), Cal should have fired his ass on the spot. Instead he promoted him, twice I believe.

Not sure what Watsons contract has to do with anything. It needed to happen, what ultimately transpired with him was unforseeable and really unfortunate for the team. But things had been trending downwards for quite some time before.

17. raining threes

18. raining threes

Cal knew what was going on with Watson before he signed Watson to his new contract. Cal just in typical Texans org fashion chose marketing, money over doing the right thing and this stance came back to bite him in the butt. Remember Watson, Hopkins complaining about having PI's following him around? Easterby was doing that at Cal's behest.

Bottom line is Easterby got to the core of what's been going on in the Texans org for years and some fans dont like what they're seeing and wish everything had been kept on status quo.

Oh well, water under the bridge. It now is what it is.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Actually, I think RT has a point here (shockingly).

20. gucci888

Cal knew what Watson was doing before he gave him the contact? Please show me a single source even remotely indicating this.

And if so, why are you even asking how Cal drugged this team down? You answered your own question on top of the laundry list of $hit moves that have occurred under him I provided earlier.

#1660 gucci888, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021