1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT and OU Reaching Out to Join SEC

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by MadMax, Jul 21, 2021.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

3. MadMax

Hard to believe A&M would have the sway to block the SEC from adding two programs of that caliber if they wanted them.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

If that's a real quote then it's hard to imagine someone in his position could be that out of touch w reality. College football is a business above all else - SEC brass would happily disregard A&M's feelings if it meant bringing in two behemoth programs like UT and OU.

Milos, Slyonebluejay, gatsby and 3 others like this.
  5. gucci888

Reading they need 75% to get voted in. Outside of A&M and maybe Arkansas, not sure would not vote yes. The additional brand revenue alone would justify it IMO.

I do wonder if it’s a bit of a ploy to push the Big 12 to get off their asses. The PAC 12 is ripe for the taking. Scheduling would be a nightmare but the markets and brands are all there just waiting IMO.

MadMax likes this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's nearly impossible to imagine UT swallowing its pride and doing this, or OU leaving OSU in the dust, but we are living in crazy times.

I personally would love to see it.

7. gucci888

Think it’s real….Can’t blame him for being honest at least.

blue_eyed_devil and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. gucci888

State powers will try to stop this as OSU and the other Texas schools would be in a world of trouble.

There is a whole new regime at Texas who I personally think won’t give a crap about the past. They took their shot on the LHN, got paid in the process, and would like seek a HUGE raise with a move.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My gut reaction is that it's a negotiating ploy. OU has shown the strength and weakness of the Big 12: a top-heavy conference (an OU-only conference, really, the last five years) that basically has a free pass to the playoff if they can go undefeated. But, they also get exposed playing the Alabamas and Clemsons of the world in that format. Too many Big 12 football programs, including Texas, have been down for too long and something has to give.

Leaving Kansas and Baylor basketball behind would be a big loss.

#9 mtbrays, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  10. mtbrays

Supporting Member

The LHN contract was for 10 years, right? No way ESPN agrees to an extension of it, so there's gotta be some type of change to Big 12 media rights with every other conference sitting on their own network.

Ziggy and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I was just about to ask this. What's the status of LHN?

Ziggy likes this.
  12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

I'm certainly not one to tell him how to do his job but the entire landscape of collegiate athletics is going through a paradigm shift the likes of which we've never seen and "standing alone" is an archaic mindset. This is about creating brand recognition and leveraging conference strength into an unparalleled marketing, advertising, and content-creating machine. The Sunbelt, w Texas included, is a demographic bonanza. If they could kick out Miss St. and bring Miami into the fold.... holy cow. Houston, Dallas, Austin, Nashville, Atlanta, and Miami are some of the fastest growing metros in the country.

Kim likes this.
  13. MadMax

John Lopez just tweeted out a string relaying what he’s hearing from his sources. I can’t post here but if you’re interested go check it out.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Ziggy likes this.
  15. MadMax

Kirk Bohls tweeted he was told it’s a majority vote only for SEC to admit.

16. gucci888

Ya I’d take anything Lopez posts with a grain of salt.

sammy and MadMax like this.
  17. gucci888

Saw that. Honestly think 75% would be easily obtainable if it gets that far.

#17 gucci888, Jul 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    Rudyc281 and MadMax like this.
  18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No thanks. Texas would be a tier 2 team in the SEC. A&M has no chance of getting to the playoffs as we stand. At least in the Big 12 Texas can go undefeated and beat OU to make the Playoffs.

sammy likes this.
  19. MadMax

I think the thought is that what you’re seeing here with NIL money and this push for super conferences is that everything is about to change radically. I’m not sure the NCAA survives as a governing body. The structure of playoffs and everything else is all up in the air it seems.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I remember ******** bricks for Baylor the last time these types of talks came up.

I'll feel much better after the new basketball arena and outdoor football complex that is about to be constructed. Baylor would be picked up somewhere if the conferences go to 16. Bring it.