1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I think it is comparable to the initial Switch hardware (assuming the Deck's battery range is realistic). It's not great, but it's probably about right for what they want to build. It would be nice if they added some power saving options, perhaps even forcibly throttling down the CPU/GPU and other components if necessary. Might be able to squeeze a bit more battery life that way if you're OK with the compromises. Having a good recharge rate could also alleviate the issue some, though not sure we have many specifics on that. I guess someone smarter than me can figure it out from the raw specs?

Definitely seems more like a home device that can be portable vs a portable device that can dock to a TV (like a phone or tablet).

Yeah, the mid model is probably the sweet spot, though I guess if you can easily open it up and install your own NVME drive, the $399 model might be the best.

Proton's compatibility list actually looks better than I thought, and I'm assuming that's without all of the improvements Valve is planning to release soon. I think most of my games either have native support or near perfect compatibility (especially the ones I play the most). I didn't realize Proton had such good results. I guess if worse comes to worst, you could always just dual-boot Windows for perfect compatibility, though that will take up precious storage space (and probably extra overhead).

I'd probably prefer a tablet or a dedicated PC as well, and I definitely don't plan on being an early adopter for this. But it would be interesting to see how things develop over the next few years. Lots of unknowns, but it could turn out to be pretty good if Valve stay on top of things.

Yeah, that's another thing with the Deck. If they enhance a few things, it could be a fun remote play device.

Cloud Gaming in definitely experiencing some growing pains. I feel like from a technical standpoint, we probably have good enough hardware and software to handle it well enough (at least for people like me that have decent broadband with no data caps). Biggest issue seems to be figuring out the right business model (or models) to properly launch an effective service. Stadia, GFN, etc., probably have the best tech, but I'm not fond of their limitations and business models, especially when you can get around them via other services. Rebuying games with Stadia or seeing much of my Steam library missing from GFN really kills my motivation for those services. I can just "rent-a-machine," and pretty much play any game that I can play on my home PC, which makes these other models less appealing IMO (at least as a PC gamer point-of-view). There could probably be room for both types of experiences (a more curated "console-like" experience vs a "rent-a-machine" experience), but for right now, it seems they need to have some time to flesh things out better.

2. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Still waiting on a Series X. My PS5 is collecting dust but I take care of it.

Ubiquitin and Blatz like this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Uh…what exactly do you have to do to take care of the PS5? Water it?

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I dust mine.

Clutch City1993 likes this.
  5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't know about the other PS5 owners here but I've been enjoying the hell out of mine because the last gen I got was a PS2. The PS4 backlog alone has made it fun lol. Finished Uncharted 4, Yakuza: Enter the Dragon, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, 90% done with Cyberpunk 2077 and more than halfway done with Horizon right now. Then I'm going to start Red Dead Redemption 2 (again, last gen I got was a PS2 lol) and Hitman III.

Poloshirtbandit likes this.
  6. Aware

Aware Member

Bloodborne is the goat ps4 game. Jump on that if you haven't already.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Do you pay it child support?

Clutch City1993 and Xerobull like this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tell it that it's not getting fat and play the switch on another TV

Clutch City1993 and Xerobull like this.
  9. Xerobull

I thought being a fat PS was desirable because it could do more?

10. Xerobull

Honestly, if they made it backward compatible with PS1-4, it would sell like hotcakes. It's powerful enough to emulate the 1-3. I know one of the reasons they don't do it is to sell downloadable retro games but the market for retro discs is pretty hot and it's probably cheaper to get them via download. However, for people like me who have all of their old games, it would be a selling point.

steddinotayto likes this.
  11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I was just looking at an article on nba2k for ps5. The freaking games are 69.99 now?!?! ridiculous

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

70 bucks and it was the worst experience I've ever had with a 2k game, game-breaking glitches all over the place, I'm hoping they were just struggling with the new-gen and that next years game will function

13. Invisible Fan

It already knows about the switch but hasn't confronted me directly about it.

Xerobull likes this.
  14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

and fifa is 70$ as well 10 months after release. me no like

15. Xerobull

Does it know you take the Switch into the bathroom with you?

16. Invisible Fan

I take that and the iPhone but I haven't told anyone.

Don't want to upset the kids.

17. KingCheetah

Dude PS5 is self aware it knows it's a fat body.

18. KingCheetah

Did you remember to turn location off?

19. conquistador#11

I would say that's crazy. But that was about the price mom charged her Sears credit card to buy me Street Fighter 2 on SNES.
    Game console on the other hand, I thought they would have come down on prices by now.

20. Invisible Fan

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/20/22585665/sony-ps5-digital-edition-japan-weight
    Sony’s new PS5 Digital Edition for Japan is mysteriously two-thirds of a pound lighter

Sony sleuths just stumbled onto a surprise in Japan: the company has quietly kicked out a new version of the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition that’s listed as 300 grams lighter than the original (via PSU). That’s fully two-thirds of a pound, bringing the mammoth console down from well over the eight-pound mark to just slightly under it.

KingCheetah likes this.