1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it needs to be Mobley...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Landry's Tooth, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong, I've "heard" both excuses for his mediocre performance in the G league and projections of him leading the Rockets in scoring his rookie season by the same posters here.

So, not an "opinion", just relaying what some of Green's ridiculous fans have had to say recently.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well, he's not CURRENTLY the better player as evidenced by his performance in the G league. The reason why he's going to be a top pick has to do with hype and the idea that one day he'll become a better player.

D-rock and palmsnbananas like this.
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Checking back in again to say I still don't know who the Rockets should pick. Thanks!

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Keep us updated

We value your opinion....unless it's Mobley, Suggs, Barnes or Kuminga at #2

[just kidding] all opinions are needed and welcome

Verbal Christ and MadMax like this.
  5. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Uh oh green fans mad

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  6. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Do you want to bet Jeremy Lin would average over 20 ppg at USC?

7. MystikArkitect

Isn't that the whole point? That we're drafting for potential vs current production? The arguments against Green that use his G League PPG have zero merit whatsoever. Mobley scored less than that against college kids. It doesn't mean he won't blossom into something better.

Pretty sure Green is going to be the pick. Still have him 4th behind Mobley and Suggs but considering we almost got #18, I'm cool. Hope he works on at least his defense.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

some of y’all really need to stop…

Lin may be a scrub, but he’s still a 9 year NBA vet…people overrate the G-League, but going from high school to there is still a big step up in competition that takes adjusting to, while the G-League is a huge step down for Lin

Lin fresh outta high school wouldn’t be averaging 18 in the G-League, I know that for damn sure

experience can make a big difference

KPJr averaged 10 points as a freshman in college…1 year later he’s averaging 24 ppg in the G-League and 17 in the NBA

put Jalen Green in the G-League a year from now and he’d be averaging 25 ppg easy

9. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Green fans are so impressed with his 17 G league ppg.

Green is currently a net negative plus/minus player. That equals losing points, it may require too much IQ for some of these green stans though. Now hopefully green develops into something he’s not right now which is a great scorer, a great rebounder, a great defender, a great playmaker etc.

Mobley on the other hand as is will contribute to winning, that is without any development.

Now no one knows who will be better down the line but what is clear is Mobley is better right now.

#469 palmsnbananas, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Roc Paint likes this.
  10. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

And you're so impressed by a 7 footer who couldn't even notch 10 rebounds per game, and averaged less points than Green playing against inferior competition?

Dobbizzle likes this.
  11. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Yeah I’m impressed by the best defender in the NCAA who led his team to numerous wins in the NCAA. Lol Mobley isn’t a scorer yet he still scored almost as much as Green how embarrassing for you. He’s likely the best defender in college and can score. It’s called having skills and not being a black hole.

D-rock likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

"I don't know why anyone would draft Evan Mobley when lumberjack Luke Garza was the better player, and NCAA player of the year!!!"

.... same logic as "Green was disappointing in the g league, look at what Lin did!"

D-rock, Dobbizzle and rocketseagles07 like this.
  13. rocketseagles07

Same exact logic!!

D-rock likes this.
  14. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Exactly, Green stans coming for Mobley is a joke. The dude was literally an mvp candidate in the NCAA while green wasn’t even the best guy on his trash g league team lol I’m supposed to be impressed by what? His 40 in vertical?

15. MystikArkitect

Man I really hope we aren't going to have a contingent of fans that are going to be rooting for either Mobley or Green to fail just so they can say "I told ya so".

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's CF--where being right about a player failing in a Rockets uniform is better than being wrong about a player succeeding in a Rockets uniform.

D-rock, Verbal Christ and MrButtocks like this.
  17. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Scored against inferior competition. Mobley is 180 lbs soaking wet. He'd get abused in the NBA.

Mobley can't create offense. And that will NEVER be his calling card in the NBA>

But hey, congrats against "defending" a bunch of future CPA's and software engineers.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  18. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

With ya 100%. I'm Mobley guy (by a hair) but if Green is here I hope he is Kobe 2.0. I just want the team to get better.

D-rock, Dobbizzle and Verbal Christ like this.
  19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Jalen Green may have "only" avg 17 points per game in the g-league, but he did so with a 61% TS, while displaying elite athleticism and scoring abilities. Mobley is an intriguing/impressive prospect in his own right - due to his versatility on both sides of the ball. Both players have immense potential to be great players - yet at the same time, neither are "cant miss" prospect like Lebron, AD, Towns & Zion.

Odds are at least 1 of the top 3 picks in this years draft is not going to be an all-star level player. Someone is going to miss... so instead of prematurely denigrating Mobley or Green, yall should instead hope it isnt the Rockets pick that misses... Because at this point its almost impossible to know which of these 19 year olds will have a better future in 2 to 3 years.

D-rock and Dobbizzle like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think this point is not considered enough.

Mobley is not just a net positive on the floor but he had one of the best box plus minus in the last decade.

THIS contributes directly to WINNING.

palmsnbananas and Roc Paint like this.