1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Houston might get another WNBA team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 19, 2021.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

hmm, would be nice if they could draft Paige Bueckers

cheke64 likes this.
  2. vince

vince Member

When they are all losing money, it’s a toxic financial league. If the Comets could not thrive with a all around good team with cool personalities, why try it again! I didn’t miss it then and I don’t miss it now….

Side story, I got to meet Swoops at a church parking lot basketball court on Eldridge in the early 2000’s. She was taking her son to get a shaved ice. we tried to get her to play but she politely declined…. Nice lady though..

Jontro likes this.
  3. H.D.

H.D. Member

^^this. It is actually watchable now.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Jeez, does anybody watch it at all?

I really wish they would lower the rims or do something to make it more exciting.

It is already played with a smaller ball to make it easier to dribble and to make shots....work on making it more exciting for all the fans.

DD

BossHogg713 likes this.
  5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We can draft Jalen Suggs and then draft his gf Hailey Van Lith

Jontro and BossHogg713 like this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

There won’t be expansion but hockey teams move all the time. Coyotes would be in Houston tomorrow if Tillman wanted to do it

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm actually a long time Coyotes fan (adopted them when I lived in Phoenix and Houston didn't have a team). The NHL seems to have a big interest in keeping them there no matter how much owner turnover they have. But never say never. The Stars have been a lower-middle attendance team in Dallas, so Houston could probably draw similar interest. I'd LOVE if the Yotes moved to Houston.

In the 80s/90s Hartford moved to Carolina, Quebec moved to Colorado, Winnipeg moved to Phoenix.

But the only move since then has been expansion Atlanta failing and moving to Winnipeg.

10 of the last 11 new teams are all expansions, San Jose, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Anaheim, Florida, Nashville, Columbus, Minnesota, Vegas, Seattle - in that order. Well, 11 was too (Atlanta).

#47 napalm06, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
  8. AXG

AXG Member

I loved those early Comets teams as a kid. I would watch if the WNBA brought them back.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I was shocked the read the comets were around till 2008. Thought they were gone way before that. If there is a fan base, bring em back. Always good to have winning franchises repping the city (not to mention the economic and social benefits). I wouldn’t watch. WNBA playoffs was intriguing enough to watch while waiting for a table at Cheesecake Factory once, but that’s about it for me.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

No offense to the women but I just can't make myself care about the WNBA ..... It's like watching NCAA D2 ball with lesser athletes.

Its just not entertaining to me.

luckyman76, clos4life and J.R. like this.
  11. MykTek

MykTek Member

Hilton couldn't afford to support the Comets and they went to ****. I've heard alot of stories about him, so lets say I wasn't surprised. The WBNA at the time didn't vetted the potential new owners well enough.

JamesC likes this.
  12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly.... I'm a Rockets fan. The only thing that concerns me is seeing the Rockets hold the trophy. Didn't care when the Astros won. Don't care if the Texans win. Couldn't care if WNBA ever set foot in Houston.

Jontro likes this.
  13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Unless the Rockets are going to own the team it won't happen and to be honest no one is going to support a terrible WNBA team in this town. The reason Les sold the Comets is because they were bad and he was losing his ass on them.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. Homey the Clown

I was a big time Comets fan during the early years. Those 4 first years were special to watch. I really haven't watched much WNBA since. Kinda hard to get into now.

15. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

WNBA is sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place. Or perhaps the NBA is the one that's stuck.

Thing is the NBA would love to rid itself of the WNBA, but they couldn't afford the PR backlash. And the WNBA needs the NBA for funding.

Problem is the WNBA and NBA are two very different products -- not just women vs. men. Rather, the NBA is an entertainment product, whereas the WNBA is a more traditional basketball league. Like mentioned earlier in this thread, the only path to making the WNBA more exciting is to lower the rim to better mimic the NBA game, resulting in athletic highlights.

But the WNBA would never do that; imagine the drama of "women really can't reach the same heights as men in society?"...even if the result would be a more entertaining product, and thus more interest (not to mention other sports like women's volleyball having a lower net).

Logistically the costs would be extraordinary to have lower rims installed at every gym and school in the country to accommodate the women's game.

In the end if the WNBA could figure out funding, they may be better off being a league independent of the NBA, therefore not one that's intended to be the "women's version of the men's game".

Emulating the men's game with an inferior product is simply not feasible for sustained success. It's been 25 years, which is mighty impressive, but the current path leads to nowhere.

Either make the game more like the NBA with a lower rim or rebrand as a more traditional basketball league -- a niche product that might gain more localized support, but likely no national interest.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. Mr. Space City

ok, this made me giggle.

tycoonchip likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Houston should get a NFL team. Long due for one.

18. rhino17

rhino17 Member

19. Rochut

Rochut Member

I was living in Houston during the Cooper/Swoopes era. Those were fun times and I watched the Comets back then. It is too bad they can't make it financially viable - it has to at least be a break-even proposition or it just won't fly.

jch1911 likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Problem is , it's just not as entertaining as their male counterparts who are great athletes and highly skilled on top of it.

There are no high flyers and only a fraction of them can dunk at all much less in game .... Its very much like watching a D2 college game in that regard as they are very sound fundamentally but that's not particularly entertaining.

Top it off with the women wanting equal pay ..... I just don't see it as economically feasible. The market simply doesn't exist for that kind of financial outlay. Its very much a niche market.

Entertainment is the key word here and the bottom line is that it simply isn't ..... <insert highlight video of MJ here>