1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

I think Green will stunt KPJ's development by taking the ball out of his hands and stagnating the offense. I think Green's usage is going to go up as the Rockets build their offense around him and with his lack of court vision I dont expect the ball to move much once he gets it. All of this turns KPJ into a guy who brings the ball up and gets out of the way. Maybe I am wrong though.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Just because Harden was a ball-stopping scorer doesn't mean everyone we target as a scoring guard will play the same as him.

The great part of Green's play is he knows how to use his quickness and athleticism on down screens and cuts to the basket.

He would add an exciting dimension to the offense that would play within the scheme rather than as the scheme. I feel like they both realize how easy they could make life for each other on the offensive end, with the defensive side still becoming a work in progress.

#2102 FLASH21, Jul 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2021
    Omihall23, Mr Woods, Denovo and 2 others like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Green isn't a primary ball handler and he shouldn't have the ball in his hands very often.

KPJ will be the primary ball handler and Green will be almost exclusively in an off ball role till he gets a lot better at a lot of things.

raining threes likes this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm at the point where I will be disappointed with any pick other than Green. I'm all in.

5. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

I'm gonna bring this thread back to Jalen Green for a second.

First, I gotta come clean and admit I don't watch the G-League or NCAA.
    I've been watching a lot of YT videos in the last month, mostly highlights, of the potential lottery picks, specially Green and Mobley.

I just finished watching some more of his G-League highlights, and I think I made up my mind on my two biggest concerns about Green, and none of them are related to his defense.

Note that since I'm only listing my concerns, this may come off as overly critical--I think Green is a great talent, though I'm not sure I have him as my #2 yet (definitely close though).

1) Shooting Form: I wish I had more tape to look at his shooting form, but I can see a few places where his form deviates from the stereotypical perfect form. He seems to have a low release point, and he doesn't get his right hand under the ball (he uses his left thumb to adjust it before the shot).

2) Handles: They are a bit shaky, he dribbles it pretty high. I mostly watched highlights, so I didn't see where his 2.7 TOs came from, but I'm guessing some came from him being stripped on drives to the rim. Tatum has that problem as well, but he's much taller and longer.

I think a quick release (seems okay) and a long stride to create separation (which he definitely has) could help hide these issues, but it'd be hard to hide these in the NBA.

But then again, Curry's form is not textbook, and Beal has mediocre handles. So he can still be a great player even if my concerns prove true.

The other smaller worry I have is how he lands after his dunks. My knees hurt just by watching it.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is Booker taking the ball out of CP3’s hands? Did Beal take the ball out of Wall or Westbrook’s hands? Idk why u think Jalen Green is SG Melo who ISO’s all the time and will be out here pounding the ball.

Suggs will take the ball out KPJr’s hands more than Green. Suggs will be drafted and groomed to be a PG that runs the offense.

7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I agree with you.

The killer instinct aspect is a real thing to count toward scouting players. Some grow into that mentality others have it innately. I feel like if we are debating two players it should be Green and Suggs not Green and Mobley, because he just doesn't have it.

Chris Bosh with the Raptors is probably as good as it may get for Mobley and whomever he gets drafted by.

8. sydmill

sydmill Member

If you look at the top scorers in the NBA they all have a usage rate of 30% or more. That would mean that roughly a third of their teams plays go through them. With Green a big chunk of those plays are going to be give him the ball on the wing and let him go to work. One of the problems with this is that, unlike a guy like Harden, Green doesnt have the innate vision to use his gravity as a scoring threat to get the ball to open teammates. KPJ, as the point guard, will be tasked with getting the ball to Green and spotting up hoping the ball moves back to him essentially. And this is fine if you're talking about a guy who will move the ball but I dont see that really from Green (at this point).

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

False.

Just as @Reeko referenced on the previous page of this thread, Booker is not taking the ball out of CP3's hands and vice versa. Hell even with Harden being a black-hole that he was with us and CP on the squad they played well off each other.

Again, just because you require the ball in your hands to create doesn't mean it will stick. You're not just creating for yourself but also for others. The beauty of it is that both players will be learning how to perform at those aforementioned levels, together. THAT will be the icing on the cake because that natural growth and chemsitry that grows from it will help each get from the growing pains of our rebuild to the glory of creating a playoff and (hopefully) eventually a championship contender.

We're not talking Wall / Harden here in our backcourt... one was already jettisoned out and the other is not too far away himself.

10. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am just explaining why I mentioned earlier that I thought KPJ's development would be stifled. I am agnostic as to how bad a thing that is actually is though. Why do all of the scouting reports and videos and games show Green as predominantly an ISO guy? Are you saying he isnt an ISO heavy player?

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Green isn't going to be a top scorer in the NBA. His role will be as a 3rd option on offense almost exclusively off ball.

KPJ will be the primary ball handler and KPJ and Wood will be the top 2 scoring options.

One day Green could develop into more than that, but we'd be talking years down the line.

Look at how Eric Gordon was used next to Harden as a template. Usage should be in the 20's, scoring in the low to mid teens.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

LOL.

Will he be exclusively off ball, or too much on ball iso?
    I wish the anti-Green gang would make up their mind.

13. sydmill

sydmill Member

Neither Green nor Porter are Paul or Harden or Wall. I think it is a lot easier for guys like LeBron to sublimate their games once they have already become established and are ready to win. Green and Porter are both young players trying to make a name for themselves. I just dont see things going nearly as well or being anywhere near as natural as you do with this pair. But I am just some dude avoiding doing work on a tuesday so what tf do I know?

raining threes and BossHogg713 like this.
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

I hope that this isnt the case since I think Green is likely the pick. If the Rockets are foregoing some of the other options available then Green needs to be a high usage big time scorer.

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am just trying to figure out what the Rockets offense looks like with Green on board my man.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

it won’t tho…the main one who would stifle KPJr is John Wall, and Suggs would do that more than Green as well because Suggs would be drafted to be a PG that runs the offense

Do they? They show that’s he’s predominantly a scorer/bucket getter that struggles with his playmaking or seeing the court. That doesn’t mean he’s out there running ISO all the time. He had just 23% usage in the G-League and had 46% of his twos and 81% of his threes assisted. How does that happen if he’s just a ISO guy who pounds the ball?

Devin Booker had 33% usage this season, but do u think he takes the ball out of CP3’s hands?

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

you and bobby should get together as you have polar opposite views of why he won't be a good offensive fit lol

raining threes and BossHogg713 like this.
  18. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's not currently capable of that, even in the G League. The hope is that one day he becomes capable of it, but for now he'd be in a role off ball hitting open 3's and occasionally driving to the basket as a 3rd option.

If he improves enough, one day he could expand upon that role, but he's currently just a raw hyper athletic 19 year old kid that probably shouldn't be starting in the NBA as evidenced by him being outplayed by Jeremy Lin in the G League.

Hopefully since he's going to be the pick (Fertitta isn't going to pass up a hype machine cash cow like that) he improves quickly and one day becomes nearly as good as his fans think he already is.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You must have reading comprehension problems, I've never suggested he wouldn't be a good offensive fit. In fact I've been describing exactly how he fits on offense this whole time.