1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want to draft 2021 "bump thread"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Money Green

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Why on earth would you want to trade the best player on the Rockets Team!
    ie. Christian Wood. The Rockets say they are building the new young team around WOOD.

saleem and peleincubus like this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

for a few reasons. keeping a best player that will likely be in his 30's by the time the Rockets are good again is not in the best interests.

1. I do not want to pay him in two years and replace Wall's salary with a large contract for Wood.
    2. It should net you a decently good pick if you package it with the late picks this year, especially if you take back a bad salary as well.
    3. It makes the team worse next season and potentially the next season also when the Rockets keep their picks.
    4. It increases the flexibility in who the rockets can draft in the next two drafts not having him on the team.

I can understand people wanting to keep continuity on the team but that can start after trading Wood. But doing it this way makes the team very young, increases the quality of picks in several different ways. Having such a young team gives you ample cap space also to sign someone comparable at the price Wood will want when his current contract is up.

My preference would be to draft someone like Kispert. A good high floor mature player. Kind of like a derrick fischer being drafted with kobe bryant.

Trackwell likes this.
  4. JD88

JD88 Member

28-34 is prime age in the NBA, no?

I feel like if you took a list of the 20 best players right now in the league, the majority of those players would fall in that age range.

Not sure what your point is.

Bo6, Dobbizzle and peleincubus like this.
  5. OkayAyeReloaded

Green or Cade after them then Mobley who I would be okay with.

But I have a nagging feeling he might not gain all the weight needed down the road, I also think both Cade and Green are mentally stronger and have a stronger drive to improve, which is what seprates good from great at this level.

Honestly Suggs may turn into a beast too in the right environment lol, tough decision.

It would be funny if a Kawhi or Jokic in the late first or second round become the best player, I hope Stone crushes the late picks also.

Dobbizzle, saleem and raining threes like this.
  6. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

You hit it right on the nail!

I’m going to take it a step further and say I’m going to be very disappointed if we do not trade Wood on draft night for a lottery pick

We need to be really bad next year, It’s very important for the long-term benefit of this organization- and replacing Wood with another 19 year old rookie does this.

I don’t want to see team improvement next year, I want to see some players progress but we need to have a 52% chance At getting a top 4 pick again.

I love the idea Of adding Cory Kispert to go along Jalen Green for the future

Our Goal should be to pair Green with MPJ and Tate and KMJ and whoever we draft and just let them
    Run and get a feel for each other.

I want to position ourselves to have as good a chance as anybody to draft Chet Holmhren next year or Paolo or Jalen Hardy

In 2023 there is also several freaks of nature.
    Victor from France! Emoni Bates and Duran

There is so many prospects coming

These names should be the goal and what we should be focusing on

peleincubus likes this.
  7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That is just one point. I said a lot of stuff in the past. The biggest reason is increasing the value of the draft picks. If you can get a 8-12 pick with the hypothetical trade above. Then you get a 1-6 pick next year more likely without Wood and perhaps a 6-13 with him. Something the same next season.

And as far as his prime. Sure maybe. But Wood on this team inflates his stats increasing likely the price to resign him. Regardless that is not worth losing so much value in picks and decreasing the odds of finding another future top 20 player in the next 2 drafts.

Trackwell likes this.
  8. Trackwell

Trackwell Member

THIS

9. Salvy

Salvy Member

So there is no dimension in where Wood has a breakout year and could potentially speed up the rebuilding process years, drafting is not the only way towards a contender..... Sometimes the best chance of something special is starting with a special player, could be any of our young guys or Mobley when we draft him...

conquistador#11 and ElDobleK like this.
  10. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would skew at least somewhat more that way IF the Rockets didn't owe their picks to the Thunder after these two seasons. Since that is happening and it coincides with Wall's ridiculous contract falling off at that same time it clearly and logically makes more sense to maximize assets for the next two seasons. It is also not a sunk cost as far as the player(s) you would get in free agency for Wood in two years.

Think of it as a trade.

Wood/pick 23&24 and a future pick; one of (Wizards/Pistons/Bucks pick) for say the 8th pick in this years draft. so that's...

Wood, 2021 23rd&24th pick, future pick owed from another team, 2022 10th pick, 2023 12th pick

for

2023 free agent(s) in place of Wood's new contract salary, 2021 8th pick, 2022 4th pick, 2023 6th pick.

You could even flexible say trade the 2023 pick and filler for an established star to go with KPJ and Green or Mobley and the free agent you sign in place of Wood and Walls money for the 2024 season.

12. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

I’m torn between green and Mobley but I’m rolling with green! His confidence and work ethic to be the best is on another level . Give me that !

13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

#2 pick: Green
    #23 pick (BPA of this group): Kai Jones, Garuba, Thor, Murphy III, Isaiah Jackson
    #24 pick: C Bassey (or BPA of this group) T Mann, Duarte, Jarred Butler

**get an early second round pick for Scottie Lewis if no T Mann/Duarte/Butler

* Green / Porter Jr with Khyri Thomas and either of T Mann, Duarte, Butler, Lewis
    backing up Green/Porter sets up the Rockets for the next 10 years at both guard
    positions. Constant offense with defense mixed in. Ying-Yang balance.

* Rockets don't need Mobley if they draft one of Kai Jones, Garuba, Thor,
    Murphy, Jackson with pick #23. Same bust potential as Mobley (big men)
    but at a wiser later pick.

* Feel Rockets will retain Olynyk, using "Bird Rights" Bassey would be a good
    rim protecting, rebounding, shot blocker, screen setter, roll man (in PnR), center
    in training. Can mix and match next to Wood or Olynyk. Gives Rockets versatility.

All bases covered with offense and defensive options 1-5:

PG) Porter Jr.........Wall / Khyri Thomas / (Mann, Duarte, Butler, Lewis)
    SG) Eric Gordon....Green / (Mann, Duarte, Butler, Lewis)
    SF) Kenyon M jr....Tate / House
    PF) Wood.............. (Kai Jones, Thor, Garuba, Murphey, Jackson)
    C) Olynyk..............Bassey

#33 ApacheWarrior, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Deckard likes this.
  14. JD88

JD88 Member

No, I get it...

But Wood is 25. He's not ancient. He's still two or three years from his prime, which typically lasts another four or five years after that.

All things equal, Wood should have another 8-10 years before he starts to fall off, and even then, his game should still allow him to be effective after that.

Every legit, contending team, has savvy 30 year olds that bind the team together.

Even if Houston has a decent year next year, with Tate and an expiring EG and all the picks, they can still make a splash with a young star or move up in the draft if there's someone who catches our eye.

They need to trade #23+#24+whatever else to grab another lotto pick this year.

Mitchell/Green/KPJ/Wood for eight years? Yes, please.

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

#2 - Evan Mobley
    While Green might project as a prolific scorer there are many examples of those guys not traslating to wins as the guy on their teams. For every MJ, Kobe or Wade there is a Lavine, Beal or Mitch Richmond. The one thing the first guys had that the second group didnt was elite defense. Doesnt matter if you score 30 if you give up 35. Mobley instantly improves the Rockets switch defense and provides several new wrinkles with his two man game ability (pick and roll/pick and pop with KPJ, Olynyk and Martin and as the ball handler in PnRs with Wood). Rockets get the best player even if he isnt a finished product in year one. The rebuild starts to take shape as the Rockets select the ultimate flex piece from the draft.

#23 - Trey Murphy III
    The premium placed on length and flexibility continues as the Rockets draft a 50/40/90 shooter with the length and athleticism to guard 2-4. Murphy has a limited ceiling but his high floor makes him a safe choice as an Ariza type with a better shot.

#24 - Josh Christopher
    Rockets gets 90% of Jalen Green's scoring potential at pick #24. Christopher's shot showed improvement over his freshman season and if that continues to develop he could be a 20+ ppg scorer himself. Future starter at the 2 or 6th man microwave scorer.

with 2 second rounders acquired for House & Augustin: Rockets draft Kessler Edwards and Quentin Grimes. Rockets continue to look for outside shooting with length and defensive abilities. Both guys spend 2021/2022 in RGV getting acclimated to the system and as occasional call ups for when Wall/Gordon cant go.

Long term (beyond 2021/2022)
    1 - KPJ/Thomas
    2 - Christopher/Tate/Grimes
    3 - Murphy/Martin/Edwards
    4 - Wood/Mobley
    5 - Mobley/Olynyk

That team has skill at 1-5 allowing for them to play 5 out effectively. The shooting keeps the defense spread out so that KPJ and Cristopher have open lanes to the hoop. If the D collapses its bombs away from outside. Defensively the team can switch everything all game as they possess spectacular length and multiple bigs who can move in space. The Rockets would also have flexibility next draft (and the one after and free agency) to add just about any piece to the core.

#35 sydmill, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    NewAge, vator and CriscoKidd like this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I want Jalen Green. Best case scenario he can be a franchise player. Worst case scenario he's be a more explosive Jordan Clarkson. I think he and KPJ would would be a very fun duo to watch and grow together. Even if Green became a Zach Lavine type I'd be very happy with that. Like Booker before this season, Lavine is criminally underrated because the Bulls are a mess. Prime KG couldn't get the Twolves more than 33 wins in his last two seasons there, even an MVP can't carry trash to success.

I think Evan Mobley will be a great pro and I'd be happy to have him too. I see him as a JJJ type player who can score and spread the floor while anchoring a defense. I don't see him as a premier scorer in the league, but I think he'll be an all-star with his overall game like Al Horford. I wish we could get both of these guys.

clutchdabear and RudyTBag like this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree on all counts. Would love to have both of them.

Whether we draft Green or Mobley, It would be really nice to find a diamond in the rough counterpart for either player later in the first round.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am mostly terrified at passing on Scottie Barnes... o_O That kid learns how to shoot, watch out.

NewAge and sydmill like this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You can’t be too precious about Wood - he was our best player but on the worst record in the league so take his value with that in context. I know there were a ton of other reasons for that including the preseason training camp that wasn’t and the Harden debacle and subsequent uncertainty about the future of this team but I think Wood’s ceiling is such that you have to at least listen to offers for him because he is likely more of a 3rd banana type guy on a title team and we still need a guy or two better than him to be a serious contender.

…that being said - I’m not giving him away. You can make the case that because bigs generally develop slower than guards and forwards that his time frame will sync up nicely with other guards we are hopefully picking higher in the draft.

20. ickaruto

ickaruto Member

Wanted to go against grain but i also really like this kid.

I think we will look back at this draft in a few years and ask why we didn't at least consider Barnes at 2.

NewAge likes this.