1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. sydmill

sydmill Member

Someone please dissuade me of the idea that the Rockets would be the Jalen green show if they draft this kid. I already foresee a stagnant offense where KPJ crosses half court and passes it to Green who spends the next 20 seconds trying to breakdown his defender before passing to KPJ with 2 seconds on the clock for a desperation heave. Green pounding the ball while everyone else watches. Didn't we already see this movie with Stevie Franchise? At least Steve passed the rock sometimes.

I know that guys like LeBron and Harden were willing to take a backseat to Wade/CP3. But all of those guys were established and I think that is why they were willing to share the spotlight. Not sure KPJ or Green is anywhere close to that maturity level yet. This could end up being a **** show...

jiggyfly, D-rock and Hakeemtheking like this.
  2. dmoneybangbang

Except that Mobley isn't some great scorer and rebounder...... even at the collegiate level. You overstate the "lack of defense".

saleem likes this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Sometimes the truth hurts, Hartenstein has years of professional basketball under his belt compared to zero for Mobley. I think it is safe to say Mobley will have a better career than Hartenstein but Mobley would get worked by Hartenstein his first year. No need to question someone's sanity because you disagree.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yes everything has to be a direct comparison!!!

it’s called context. Not that complicated.

you have a higher ranked recruited big prospect that went straight from high school to the g league to compare?!?

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  5. JayZ750

why are we quote tweeting random people?

not that I think all professional media is better … but at least it’s not entirely random.

6. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Honestly, I'm becoming a big fan of this kid, Green. I don't think we can't go wrong with either choice, Green or Mobley, but the Rockets need some major luck to strike gold.

D-rock and Deuce like this.
  7. JayZ750

Do some research. Green had a very solid off ball game in the g league including cutting. This was not a weakness of his game. He wasn’t just iso’ing away possessions ala Harden. He is a great iso scorer though so that is rightly part of his game.

Denovo likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green’s 1st 11 G-League games:

18, 4, and 3 on 50/42/78 shooting splits

[​IMG]

D-rock, Richie_Rich, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green had 46% of his 2 point field goals, and 81% of his 3 pointers assisted in the G-League

he also had just 23% usage to get his 18 ppg with an efficient 61% TS

D-rock, Richie_Rich, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  10. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

the ppg are okay but the efficiency is what sticks out the most IMO.

You can't teach that IMO

D-rock likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't have to be a great scorer or great rebounder to score 20+ a game in the g league and pull down 10+ rebounds in the g league.

As I pointed out, Lamb nearly did it and he's outright trash.

Any scrub can dominate the G league, Mobley would have crushed it.

You have to be pretty bad to score less than 20 a game in the G league.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green does not have the playmaking for an offense to be just a 1 man show featuring him pounding the ball while everyone stands around and watches…that is reserved for guys like Harden, Trae, Luka, etc

D-rock, Richie_Rich, Deuce and 4 others like this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In a few years he could be a good sidekick for KPJ though

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agreed. However, when someone is annointed Kobe reincarnated or as good as Jordan one assumes they will have the offense tailored to them.

It seems the argument on this board is that Jalen Green is a can't miss offensive savant. I see what you do. A great player but one who is not appropriate to have the keys to the offense. Not sure such a guy should be the priority in the rebuild.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

here’s the thing with Jalen Green and his efficiency in the G-League

1st 11 games:

52% of his twos and 84% of his threes were assisted…18 ppg on 50/42/78 shooting splits and 65% TS

final 4 games:

29% of his twos and 67% of his threes were assisted…17 ppg on 38/23/100 shooting splits and 53% TS

I will place the usual caveat of small sample size, so people can take this info however they wish

16. King1

King1 Contributing Member

It doesn't matter lol. Everyone has pretty much drawn their line in the sand. Green will prove his doubters wrong

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s only the delusional ones that even dare to mention Kobe or MJ when talking about Green…I don’t think he’s an offensive savant because that to me is guys like Harden and Luka who can be a whole offense by themselves

Offense tailored to him in the sense that he’ll lead the team in shot attempts and ppg? For sure, but I don’t think it will be the Harden or Steve Francis show where he’s doing a ton of ISO or pounding the air out of the ball all game, every game, while guys just stand around.

sydmill likes this.
  18. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

The hype around Green is generated by dumb fans, he's clearly not the number 2 pick by any measure or metric. Him going number 2 will only happen if Tilman needs ticket sales, rather than championships.

D-rock and sydmill like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Or vice versa.

20. sydmill

sydmill Member

I 100% agree with this view of Green. I have always comped him to Zach Lavine. And I just don't prefer that to Cunningham or Mobley. Also think Green stifles KPJ's development which makes me value Suggs more who I think is a similar valued prospect as a Kidd or Billups type 1. Just don't think he is the best option at 2. But I'm just a guy on a website.

D-rock likes this.