1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

And 30 point guys (Hartenstein) can barely find the floor.

D-rock and Bobbythegreat like this.
  2. DonatelloLimestone

because theres no precedence. Many guys end up scoring way more in the pros than even in college be it a product of the open offense, spacing, and being able to have a coach who sets you free vs college style.

Now Green instead spent his 'freshman' year playing against guys who dominated or starred in college and are border line nba players, they have a professional mindset as in they work at this like its their job, the competition is feirce, the environment is far more unforgiving ,and teh encougraging thing is green 1)took the challenge of that(yea if you look at most blue chcip prospects in college, they get pay, they dont have to work, get everything taken care of) 2) continued to grow and get comfortable to the point that his final game in the playoffs he dropped and efficient 30.

Rookies are always learning, even Kobe and lebron and KD were terribly inefficient hteir rookie years being forcefed. but somehow they picked it up. if you have the talent, athleticism, and 'feel/intuition/mentality' and a growth mindset which i believe green is showing just like Anthony eduwards showed, even steph his rookie year or Trey young ending the second half much much better than Green can be a top scorer before you know it. But woods and even kpj should be the top next year. Stats are going to be determined by the leash you get from your coach, your system and opportunities. I like green....Also like Mobley and Cade too, heck a few more guys I like too and I can even find some for our 20s picks that are worth a swing. exciting we will get a new foundation piece n about less than two weeks

#1902 DonatelloLimestone, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    xaos likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

Success in the G league means little when it comes to playing in the NBA, it's just such an inferior league. KPJ was by far the best player in the G league and even he struggled at first in the NBA. It took him quite a while to figure things out even to the extent he did....and there was no one even close to as good as him in the entire bubble.

That said, if Green can maintain shooting 36% from 3 over more than just 16 games, and the Rockets dump Wall and Gordon so that Green can start, KPJ should set him up with enough open looks to where he could score 14 or 15 points per game, which would be awesome for him.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

First statement in bold: Definitely one of those quotes that should be brought back up in a few years to be laughed at when KMJ is the role player to Jalen Green.

Second statement in bold: I've seen this statement thrown out here a few times, and it's not necessarily wrong but in the NBA there is far more to being athletic than just jumping high and running in straight lines, right? Don't get me wrong, when Bullard used to say KMJ has rockets in his shorts, he wasn't lying. KMJ has great timing, quick jumping reflexes, and when running in a straight line is an excellent transition offensive player. But, Green's athleticism is very different. Jalen Green has insane muscle synergy when he is making his moves. It's kind of like comparing KMJ's athleticism to Kyrie Irving's... KMJ will test better on verticals and sprints, yet somehow Kyrie can still finish at the rim because of his body control, core strength, and muscle synergy -- all things that aren't measured when talking about athleticism. Another huge athletic advantage to Green is his ability to decelerate. Again, something not really measured in your typical pre draft workout. But, the ability to decelerate is such an incredible athletic ability... it also can help with longevity for the players who play above the rim or are attacking the rim. The same muscle type that is used to decelerate is used to absorb a landing from a jump or counter someone moving you from your spot.

#1904 xaos, Jul 18, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    saleem likes this.
  5. dmoneybangbang

Mobley went from high school to NCAA while Green went from high school to the NBA's minor league. Green played against professionals while Mobley played against a weak schedule in the PAC12.

Hartenstein would have worked over Mobley in the G League, that's the difference in skill level between the G League and NCAA.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I lot what you are saying is correct. I do believe that Green will struggle physically , but I think he is a quick learner on the offensive end. His passing won't be up to Porter's mark, but he won't be a black hole by any means. I anticipate him reaching 15 points per game by the end of his first season with around 30-32 three point percent efficiency and around 3 assists. I believe he will get better in his sophomore season.

It's okay to disagree. We all want the best for the Rockets.

Hakeemtheking and xaos like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

But you keep ignoring the KPJ already played some college ball and some NBA ball before going to the G League and then averaging 16.6PPG for the Rockets.

Unfortunately basketball is a business and Green appears to be very marketable.

Could certainly twist the bolded and make it about Mobley, the PAC12, and the NCAA. Timme outplayed Mobley in some respects in the NCAA, but that doesn't mean much at all in itself.

8. dmoneybangbang

While guys like Hartenstein would take a 19 year old Mobley to the shed.

9. a time to chill

If you want a fire in the belly type player you should have Suggs ranked higher than Green since he's been reported to have the highest work ethic, character & toughness.

I like Jalen Green too, but I think Mobley just has the highest potential and will contribute the most immediately day 1 on the defensive side.

Yep, exactly this.

Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  10. xaos

xaos Member

I think it's important to also remember if you're going to use some algorithm from college basketball, international basketball, G League, etc to try see how it would translate into the NBA there's something things that simply don't translate well. Rebounding, for example, translates very well...

D-rock likes this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The amount of focus on g league and college stats is moronic.

with some certainty I can say Mobley wound not be thought of quite so highly had he went straight to the g league. Not because he isn’t the same potentially amazing prospect … but because he wound have struggled more in the g league relative to what he did stat wise in college. Like Isaiah Todd - 13th ranked prospect last year as a big… relative struggle. Certainly not Mobley level prospect (think he was 3rd).

but again… I don’t think that means much. If Mobley went to the g league and wasn’t as dominant statistically and the Rockets were picking 3rd/4th and picked Mobley I’d be all about that.

saleem likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So if he is more Larry Hughes or Ricky Davis are we happy?

Or god forbid J.R. Smith another athletic scoring 2 guard.

People seem to ignore he is comped more to guys like this than Kobe or Wade.

We could have more productive discussions if some would acknowledge this could also be a legitimate outcome.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Another one of your alternate realities amirite?

Keep taking your meds.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Todd has never been touted as top pick in draft nor has he been called a unicorn.

Ridiculous comp.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

who said he was?

Are you not capable of reading? I literally noted he was the 13th rated recruit not the 3rd.

Read words man.

saleem and dmoneybangbang like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Had Mobley gone to the G league instead of college, he probably puts up 20/10 minimum. Hell Anthony Lamb managed 18/8

The G league is faster paced and no defense is played. It's super easy to score.

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

So why compare apples to oranges?

Stupid comp.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Anthony Lamb is an alpha and he loves the game amirite?

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Green is the pick, I'm hoping for Kai Jones and/or Jalen Johnson.

Usman Garuba would be nice option as well.

20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member