1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Trade Targets?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, May 18, 2021.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

• The Astros are “going to entertain the idea of [acquiring] starting pitchers” at the trade deadline, GM James Click told The Houston Chronicle’s Chandler Rome and other reporters. Zack Greinke and Jose Urquidy are battling sore shoulders, Framber Valdez’s control has been shaky, and Luis Garcia and Cristian Javier might be approaching innings thresholds. These issues have combined to turn what had been an area of strength for the Astros into a potential concern down the stretch. On the plus side, relievers Josh James, Austin Pruitt, and Pedro Baez are all on rehab assignments and are expected to be activated from the injured list soon, with James and Pruitt coming perhaps as early as Friday. That trio and perhaps Garcia could all fortify the bullpen from within, allowing Houston to pursue rotation help.
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021...-cubs-braves-lorenzen-gray-astros-madbum.html

2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Would y’all do Urquidy for Scherzer straight up, if Washington ate all of Scherzer’s remaining salary?

As awesome and Verlander-2017-esque as Houston trading for Scherzer would be, 5+ years of a guy who has proven he has the talent to be a good big league MoR SP is a pretty steep price to pay. I would probably want the Nats to include a 2nd tier prospect (somebody like Sammy Infante) to even things out.

No Worries likes this.
  3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Contingent on Scherzer signing a two year extension? Maybe, yes. Maybe, no.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If the Nationals took back Verlander's contract and we could add a high middle tier prospect for the rental. Schertzer also makes 6 million less than Verlander which would give us some room for another move.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

With an extension for Max and an agreement with Verlander to sign here next year

That’s the only way I would do it

6. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

To me, Verlander shouldn’t be back next year because teams will outbid Houston for him. Yes, Crane has done right by the players but that is a genius move to trade Verlanders contract in a move for a large salary. It may actually take more than Urquity for that to happen.

7. rockbox

The chances of Verlander being here are not effected by where he officially ends up this year. With Schertzer, we are at least guaranteed a compensation pick because it will be guaranteed that we make a least a qualifying offer, it's guaranteed that he will be offered more than that from someone. It's literally a no lose situation minus the prospect we would give up to get them to do the swap. We would also get 6 million of space this year to make another move and still staying under the LT threshold.

8. prospecthugger

You cant QO a player traded midseason. They could offer Verlander one. I don't see Verlander being traded. They could accomplish the same thing by the other team just eating salary.

rockbox, Astrofan59 and Snake Diggit like this.
  9. rockbox

Didn't know the QO rule. Thanks for the clarification.

The Beard likes this.
  10. the shark

the shark Member

I wouldn't do that trade because there's other trades out there that they wouldn't have to include Urquidy.

What do you think it would take to get Kimbrel?

11. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Funny, at one point Odorizzi was turd of the rotation and now he's the only one without question marks.

raining threes and jim1961 like this.
  12. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Can't remember the details but a Cubs fan site had a offer with Hunter Brown as the center piece. Might have been Brown and Nova for Kimbrel.

the shark likes this.
  13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s probably a fair deal but I do not want Houston to trade Brown for a reliever, even an elite one like Kimbrel.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

If Click is actually worried about our rotation and health, I would thrilled to add Kyle Hendricks. He’s under contract for 3 more seasons after this one at 15mil per. He’s 31 but I think he will continue to pitch and age well. I listened to a podcast yesterday where Yellich stated he’s one of the hardest pitchers to face, he has like 4 different change ups and 3 different fastballs, and even though he hovers in the upper 80s can locate incredibly well. Just a thought...

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

100% agree. Especially with the Cubs looking to sell and the potential need for a vet starting pitcher next season, I would love to trade for him.

BMoney likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think it is just a general concern that pitchers get hurt with some additional concern with our guys pitching a lot of innings. With Ivey, Whitley, and Emanuel down (i.e, Plans H, I, and J), they may be looking for injury protection. Though, he could also be doing due diligence to see if he can get a good one.

#516 Joe Joe, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  17. The Beard

Sorry but you can’t QO a guy you trade for in season

rockbox likes this.
  18. The Beard

Hail no to that

19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Madison Bumgarner, the Diamondbacks record are worse than the oft-mentioned trading team, the Cubs. He makes the same amount as Lance McCullers' contract. And with Greinke and Verlander not likely coming back because of money, MadBum is a good replacement. I heard he is a big fan of rodeo. DBacks can throw in Josh Reddick for free :)

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Woooooo!