1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The state of the republican party

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 21, 2021.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I remember when the republican party was somewhat respected as a part of ideas...

2. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Poor Republicans are they supposed to support the police or attack them? Thinking for yourself is so difficult.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Public communication is not and cannot be he key term, because the conjunction there is an or, not an and, and public is attached to the second item in the list. If I said I like jelly beans, black licorice, and gummi worms, you wouldn't say that I am only talking about black jelly beans and black gummi worms. This is just English grammar. The Mall of America case was about legal protections, which is not what I am talking about at all.
    It is unpopular in the way Trump is unpopular. Unpopular among certain people.
    Unfortunately I don't have access to twitter or tumblr's financial data, in particular change in advertising revenue after banning Trump/p*rn respectively.
    They are what you were responding to above.
    On the other hand, there are many, many consumers who use Facebook specifically for those purposes.
    As I said, I don't have access to their numbers. Perhaps the remaining users are a better advertising demographic, but usually traffic is very valued to advertisers. Especially so when the ads are not tied directly to the objectionable content (vs. on YouTube where adds run on specific videos).
    I don't disagree. @jiggyfly was saying that he was banned for illegal tweets. I don't think he was.

4. NewRoxFan

Delete

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What I meant by illegal tweets was the violation of terms, the term illegal was a poor choice of wording.

StupidMoniker likes this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

7. NewRoxFan

I reckon george won't be invited to any family get-togethers anymore...

ROXTXIA likes this.
  8. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Nah.......these people aren't power-hungry egomaniacs.

Rolling Stone magazine:

One day, before Trump was elected, [Lindsey] Graham visited Brandt at his office. “We were talking about politics, and he looked at me and said, ‘Larry, you’re too honest to be in politics,’ ” Brandt recalls. “He said, ‘Eighty-five percent of the people in Washington, elected officials and bureaucrats, would sell their mothers to keep their jobs.’ That’s a direct quote.” Two Christmases ago, Brandt ran into Graham at a restaurant in Seneca and reminded him of what he’d said. “He, of course, made a joke out of it,” Brandt says. “But Lindsey, in my opinion, has sold his mother to keep his job.”

Andre0087 and B-Bob like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, I don’t think Jenna Ellis “underweigh”s in general. NTTAWWT.

10. NewRoxFan

11. NewRoxFan

12. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Let them try it. Without the blue states to create the jobs, tax revenue and pay for their welfare they won’t last very long.

13. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I'd be for all that if it wouldn't have both short and long term negative consequences for people who just want to live their lives in relative peace. A divided United States, even if you think your beliefs will align on the right side of history once the dust settles, is still an awful state of affairs for all Americans to endure. All it'll do is weaken the U.S. presence and influence globally, making the U.S. even more susceptible to blind sided attacks from outside forces while even more paranoid about attacks from it's own nation's citizens. Not exactly a carefree prosperous way of life in my opinion. I wish all people who legitimately want a divided United States could see that.

#973 London'sBurning, Jul 15, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
    ryan_98, rocketsjudoka and Andre0087 like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

i find the independent numbers quite disturbing

15. NewRoxFan

I thought the California numbers were interesting, but I suspect that is more related to natural resources than anything else. I used to live near Rough and Ready which did succeed from the United States.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

These numbers are unsettling but splitting up the US isn't going to happen. Does anyone seriously think most of the people in Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonia and El Paso are going to go along with Texas leaving to join a new Confederacy? Or people in Atlanta, Miami, Raleigh - Durham and etc are going to be fine with that?

If Red states actually tried to secede you would see civil war breaking out in those states before you saw it with Blue states.

London'sBurning likes this.
  17. London'sBurning

I forget who linked it but I remember reading an article in a D&D thread that mentioned Texas seceding and how that would cause the state to flip blue. All the blue cities would have more political influence and power than they do at present, so seceding would in fact backfire on conservatives pushing such rhetoric if they were to go through with it in Texas. Not to mention it'd very likely drive out all the tech companies from here as their biggest concern is money and money isn't very stable when your business operations are in a now hostile environment whose citizens are divided. I do agree it is just talk and political posturing at this point, but it says a lot about politicians that poke such a sensitive nerve that appears to be resonating among conservatives, independents and liberals, all for personal gain. It might just end up being a self-fulfilling prophecy if we aren't careful and instead shift more of our trajectory towards maintaining some semblance of unity.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  18. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

If Red states seriously brings it up

Blue cities in those states should demand they still be part of Blue states or at least part of the city.

Just like West Berlin.

That's should shut up the Red states real quick.

19. London'sBurning

That's great and all but at the same I can imagine someone who really has no allegiance one way or the other that lives outside those cities who just wants to take their loved one to their routine dialysis or infusion therapy appointments where the clinic just so happens to be located inside the city and don't want to deal with the extra hassle of living in a hostile environment. Those people would have a worse quality of life despite not having any particular investment one or the way other over which ideologues win. And they wouldn't be a single isolated example of citizens suffering from a greater divide in this nation. To a much much tamer degree this is already happening for many Americans caught in a similar situation described above that just want to live their lives in peace while feeling hopeful for good reasons about the future.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's the problem for Republican politicians.

Trump lost in a free and fair election.

But for some reason it seems it's an issue for them to admit it.

Not a good state of affairs.