1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets haven’t drafted a player this young in the top . . . ever.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by VoR, Jul 9, 2021.

1. VoR

VoR Member

And it shows. Remember, we never drafted Francis. Even then, it’s been a long time since we’ve invested in a kid, more or less. These 19 year olds are fuxing projects, guys. They’re not going to be Trae Young out the gate. They’re not going to be even Ja Morant or Kevin Durant. Durant wasn’t great for the first two years and his first year as a Sonic. It takes time to develop and if we draft Green and get 15ppg out of him and get to watch him develop while the team gets ready for being a playoff team in 2025, then you win.

Rookies are only even guaranteed with the team for 4 years. Green will be 23 by the time he can start receiving offers from other teams and probably just getting to the point where he has a strong feel for the game. The question is how to draft a player of Booker’s skill and work ethic while hoping that they develop AND agree to a long term extension with the team?

Greatest likelihood of having a career Rocket is probably Mobley or Cunningham. Green is certainly a possibility, but he will have big eyes once he gets in the driver seat and don’t be surprised if he wants to be a Laker by the time he turns 24. From a fan’s perspective, that doesn’t sound fun at all.

Tilman will look for someone who wants to be the face of the franchise and he will pony up for that guy. He will look for someone with character and the antithesis to the Harden era, because he’s had his fill of that and has the team vision going in a different direction.

Cunningham is an Arlington kid. Don’t be surprised if he wants to be a Rocket for life and don’t be surprised if Tilman moves heaven and earth to get him.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Getting Cunningham would be a success story and then some. Unless we gave up 5 picks or something crazy...

DaDakota likes this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Presumptions about people sure are fun aren’t they.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We took Royce White who had the mentality of a 13 year old

5. juanming

juanming Member

OP.... Strange, today no kidding, I was just thinking that green will want to be a Laker someday. I totally agree with OP.. I think Cade is from Texas..not sure, to lazy to check..but if he is that would be cool..

I was all on board with the green gang till I found out that cade shot 40percent from 3.. with a much bigger wingspan than green.. they should move heaven and Earth to get the #1 pick

Edit: adding more to my theory that green will want to be a Laker he idolizes Kobe he modeled his game after Kobe and his coach was Brian Shaw a Laker..

I think he's going to use us as a minor league team before he bolts to the Lakers

I don't want Mobley.. cade or trade down

VoR, D-rock and Jontro like this.
  6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

How did you figure that Cade or Mobley is more likely to stay a Rocket but not Green?

7. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Cade shot 40% from college 3. Green 36.5% from NBA 3. I think they’ll end up being about the same from NBA range.

Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  8. Jontro

Jontro Member

suggs shot 49% from college 3 and a 31.6 per rating. he legit

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

no he didn't

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

dam you're right, he probably didn't. i stand corrected.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Jalen Green hit 100 percent of the threes he made in the G League. Some of you are sleeping on that detail.

BHannes2BHonest, kjayp, Bo6 and 6 others like this.
  12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I've watched a bunch of Green interviews and stuff with him just hanging out with his teammates and stuff and I don't get that vibe about him.

But I don't know him personally so I have no clue what the guy will want to do in 4 years and neither does anyone here.

13. VoR

VoR Member

We live in a different era of NBA where players running around trying to make super teams. Two year contracts. No loyalty. Dame is right, this age is weak.

Cunningham and Mobley don’t strike me as having maturity issues.

If we could trade KPJ and #2 straight for Cunningham, I’d do it. Especially if Cunningham showed interest in setting down roots. Build the team around him Martin and Wood,

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I’m not trading away KPJ. Take all our picks, but KPJ is untouchable IMO. I mean, come on — he’s the youngest player ever to notch a 50 pt 10 assist game. Lebron was the youngest previously, and he didn’t do it until he was 23.

rkh-dog and saleem like this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

KPJ is good, but he’s not untouchable to me. Having one 50 point game isn’t an end all be all for me. Brandon Jennings did it in his rookie season at 20 years old, and he was never confused for a franchise cornerstone. There is no one on the Rockets roster I wouldn’t listen to offers on.

If they can manage to get Cade, that would be a massive get. He’s head and shoulders above the others, IMO

tycoonchip and napalm06 like this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

whole lotta assumptions being made by OP based on nothing

Don’t be surprised if Cade wants to be a Rocket for life?

“I switch a whole lot. I switch a whole lot. LeBron has been probably my biggest influence just throughout my childhood, just because he’s been the best since I’ve been around and watching basketball. But right now I watch a whole bunch of Luka Doncic. I grew up in Dallas, so Dirk [Nowitzki] was my guy and now Luka’s the new Dallas Mavs guy.

he has zero attachment to the Rockets

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

KPJ is erratic, but he is improving. He looks stronger and enthusiastic for the upcoming season. I want to retain him. I like Cade a lot. He is undoubtedly the best player in this draft. I will be very surprised if he falls to the number 2 spot.

MadMax likes this.
  18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That 50/10 game by KPJ was amazing .... No doubt about it.

BUT

How much of that was "the Harden effect" on a player who got hot and can he replicate that on any kind of regular basis ?

What I mean by the Harden effect is putting the rock in his hands every trip down and letting him make the decisions.
    That game by Porter was very Harden-esque when you look at the box score.

9-11 from the charity stripe.
    9-15 from 3
    16-26 from the floor

Again , Impressive game by Porter by any standards but I'm not so sure scoring 50 is as difficult as it was even 5-6 years ago when the scheme gives that player such freedom / control over the game. It wasn't a Kobe level of dominance .... it was an efficient game.

What makes Harden special is he can replicate that on a regular basis - not just on night where he got hot and hit 60% of his 3's which was double his season average.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Why does everyone seem to ignore the 11 assists aspect of that game? It’s not just about the 50 points. It’s that he scored 50 and ALSO facilitated.

7uche likes this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The 11 assists are probably more impressive .... my point was more about the modern offense offering easy opportunities for a primary ball handler.

The 50 isn't so impressive when its 3's taken within the flow of the offense as it is when its Kobe killing double teams on the wings / post.