1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Hunter Biden Art Appreciation and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Opinion: Hunter Biden is going about his art career all wrong

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/07/09/hunter-biden-paintings-ethics/

Opinion: Hunter Biden is going about his art career all wrong
    Opinion by
    Karen Tumulty
    Columnist
    July 9, 2021|Updated today at 6:12 p.m. EDT

When it comes to navigating the tricky ethical issues that may arise around Hunter Biden’s budding career as an artist, he is going about it in exactly the wrong way. What this situation calls for is transparency — the more of it, the better.

As The Post has reported, the president’s son, who has no professional training and has never before sold art on the commercial market, has struck an arrangement with a New York gallery owner under which Biden’s art — described as paintings, drawings and collages — will go on sale this fall for asking prices that are expected to reach as high as $500,000 for a single piece.

However, under terms negotiated by parties described as “officials close to President Biden,” the gallery owner, Georges Bergès, will withhold all records of the transactions, including final sales and the identities of buyers and bidders. Bergès, The Post reported, “has also agreed to reject any offer that he deems suspicious or that comes in over the asking price.”

Got that? To insulate these purchases from the obvious potential for conflict-of-interest violations, we are counting on the sole judgment of a gallery owner who stands to make a profit on the deal. And we are relying on the assumption that the details can remain confidential in a political world in which pretty much nothing does.

It is also worth noting that high-value art is a business in which it is not unheard of for foreign buyers and sketchy parties to disguise their identities by using others to make their purchases.

I have no problem with Hunter Biden’s learning who is buying his art, and how much they are paying.

In fact, I think we all should know.

These transactions could then be subjected to the scrutiny of art critics and professional appraisers who can tell those of us who don’t know a Warhol soup can from an original by Campbell’s whether the value of Biden’s talent resembles the amount that is being paid for it.

We could also learn whether his artwork is being purchased by connoisseurs known for having a knack for spotting rising talent, or people who have never previously stepped inside an auction house, but who happen to be in the market for a tax break or a bit of regulatory relief from the government.

Hunter Biden has already come under legitimate criticism for making money off his last name. But he is hardly the first presidential kin to do so.

Have some of these earlier endeavors been tacky? Yes. And ethically suspect? Yes again.

When Jimmy Carter was in the Oval Office, each can of a certain light-bodied lager known as “Billy Beer” came with the personal endorsement of the president’s brother: "I had this beer brewed up just for me. I think it’s the best I ever tasted. And I’ve tasted a lot. I think you’ll like it, too.”

As first lady, Eleanor Roosevelt appeared in advertisements for hot dog buns, mattresses and air travel.

Meanwhile, it is hard to keep count of the number of presidential children and other family members who have written books. Hunter Biden himself made the bestseller lists earlier this year with a scorching memoir in which he wrote of his battles with addiction.

But in all of these instances, there was an aftermarket: Did a publisher pay too high an advance for, say, a children’s book or a novel written by a president’s daughter? It was easy enough to tell by looking at the sales figures.

Biden’s defenders are certain to ask: Well, what about the Trumps?

Yes, it is true that the 45th president and his family set a new standard for shamelessness.

Where his predecessors divested their businesses and put their assets into blind trust, Trump only went so far as to turn over day-to-day management of his companies to sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump. His eldest daughter and her husband worked in the White House as top advisers. The family patronized its own properties, which meant that taxpayer dollars, spent for security and other purposes, helped keep their operations afloat.

But what President Biden has promised is, in the words of White House spokesman Andrew Bates, “the highest ethical standards of any administration in American history.”

This isn’t a close call. Hunter Biden may be the next great wonder of the art world. If he is, I wish him all the acclaim that he deserves. But keeping things under wraps is not the way to go about it.

Nook and Andre0087 like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

i bet one of the buyers is the man who killed Ashley Babbitt! #allconnected

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I agree. If you are in high government office, you shouldn't be able to keep buyers' identity secret. Wait, Hunter Biden isn't in government. Consistency?

After Becoming President, Trump Has Sold Millions in Real Estate In Secret Deals (newsweek.com)

Even after taking office, President Donald Trump has sold more than $35 million worth of real estate last year to secretive buyers.

Trump sold 41 luxury condo units in Las Vegas last year to people who used limited liability companies (LLCs), which allow them to hide their identities, a USA Today report found. The president can withdraw profits from these sales at any time using a trust that names him as the sole beneficiary but is managed by sons Donald Trump Jr. and Eric Trump.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

if Hunter ran for president and said he'll build a wall and white supremacists are good people he'll win over these maga **** and they'll praise him for his business savvy

dobro1229 likes this.
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He's not in government and thus not subjected to government transparency. What happen to your hardcore support for untraceable transactions?

6. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i wanted to make fun of his artwork, but im actually really impressed. i love colorful abstract painting and some of this stuff is right up my alley. would they be commanding this much money if he wasnt the presidents son? - most likely not, but ive been to shows where art at this level sells for a couple thousand or more. hes got some talent.

white house shouldnt be involved at any level - obvious conflict of interest...but trump supporters have ZERO credibility when criticizing said conflict of interest. yall really need to just STFU on this one. again, you have zero credibility.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems to me what would've made this more ethical is if Hunter Biden had renamed anonymous or painted under a psuedonym.

JuanValdez, durvasa and Andre0087 like this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

graft out in the open

they aren't even clever about it, artwork is the classic money laundering instrument

part of it is to just to flex the power disparity. they want you to know they are held to a different standard

10. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, Trump Foundation and art is synonymous with alleged fraud. As for conflict of interest, Mar a lago is not a place for haters. Winners naturally know to stay there at ridiculous marked up "seasonal rates."

Trump supporters break more laws and cover more things up than the grey ethical violations they bleat and whine as hypocrisy for the other side.

Hell, i agree the laws are ****ed and and shouldn't be grey, but these clowns aren't going to get rid of the loopholes. They just hold it as a card or symbolic scandal to hang over Joe Six Pack and add it among their thouands of paper cut injustices. It lies dormant and forgotten during their years of control, then festers up like a plague of locusts when it's time to change turns.

Vince Foster and Benghazi happened!

Thats proof enough all dems are corrupt and shouldn't be bargained with!!!

#32 Invisible Fan, Jul 12, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    Nook and mdrowe00 like this.
  13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

14. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NOW THIS IS ART, MOJO! HANG IT IN THE LOOVE

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

With all due respect you sound like a F-ing nut job.

OMG!! Someone doesn't want it to be public that they are buying expensive art so they don't get their homes broken into, and because they don't want FoxNews to start conspiracy theories about how they are laundering money to Joe Biden in exchange for the blood of children or illuminati entrance fees. Also anytime you buy anything it's always basically "Anonymous" unless it's donating to a charity or something that has to be reported publicly.

You guys are out of your Gdamn minds. You've listened to too much Alex Jones.

FrontRunner likes this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

20. HP3

HP3 Member

If Steven Silas were more attentive this art could be even better.

Os Trigonum likes this.