1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] A Disparaging Video Prompts Explosive Fallout Within ESPN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 4, 2021.

1. HardenVolumeOne

Who is adam mendelsohn and why is he advising rich Paul and lebron and talking to Rachel about blocking Maria Taylor from interviewing certain nba players

Now I understand why LeBron was silent on the tamir rice murder.

and now I really know why lebron came at Daryl moreys head over that China tweet

but, but I thought rich Paul was running thangs

klutch controls ESPN. The nhl signed with ESPN and you hardly still see any nhl topics or articles on the website

#81 HardenVolumeOne, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Espn's nba coverage is terrible. If this was Charles pay him 10mil. No is tuning in for Maria Taylor.

3. H.D.

H.D. Member

Rachel should be fired for referring to Taylor as a diversity hire. She won't, of course, having the tribal media "Get Out of Jail Free" card to play at will.

Bearded13 and pippendagimp like this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why are you watching pocket?

The people that will be replacing them will be getting about the same amount of money.

And then you actually try and claim Steven A and Bayless somehow deserve to be paid much more.

[​IMG]

#84 jiggyfly, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Right. She may have been slighted, no idea, but maybe not for the reason she thinks she was.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Everybody and they mama trying to have a take.

If she want Stephen A Smith money she is delusional and needs a wakeup call aint nobody tuning in for Maria.

She could be an afterthought in a year and nobody would care.

clutchdabear and Slyonebluejay like this.
  7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Rachel clearly blames ESPN and the boys club, but she ****ed up insinuating Maria was a pure diversity pick.

The real tragedy is ESPN culture will continue to be shitty because the scapegoat will be Rachel and her being racist -- she deserves some but not all of the blame.

But ALSO... ESPN sucks. Inside the NBA is must see TV. ESPN coverage is ****ing boring.

8. DonatelloLimestone

I think Steven A and Bayless are clwns, but I don't hate the player , I hate the game. They at least have some character niche that we both know people tune in to watch them Bicker and scream like WWE personalities and it works, I'm not saying its good, I 'm saying it works.

Where as Scott Van Pelton, Rachel Nichols and the like are almost totally unmemorable that I was shocked Beadle was getting paid 5 millon and that these news folks are getting nba mid level money meanwhile if they were replaced by someone making a million or less, I don't think anyone bats and eye or feels the difference. I mean does anyone disagree, are there Rachel nichols and Scott Van Pelton enthusiast here? anyone tune in to sports center or jump and can't wait to be taken by the charisma of Rachel or Van Pelton? Am i missing something?

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

She never said she was a diversity, how about you actually listen to what she said before having a hot take.

This is why we can't have nice things.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. DonatelloLimestone

Not only does ESPN suck at their production, hell NBA TV usually is not memorable or unique either.

TNT has naile it and its hard to get that level of chemistry, but they do and it is just wildly entertaining and hilarious. Kenny and Ernie get to play the normal sensible guys to relate to the audience while shaq and barkley do their ridiculous sort of banter. In any case, I almost always will watch when they are on. Candace is someone I can see growing into it really well as is Draymond, they both have an effortless bold and smart take while being able to rib and be casual that flows well with that show. No other show has nailed it like them

Rocket River likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

She never said or insinuated she was a pure diversity pick.

I see this narrative has left the station.

We have not had a good cancelling in a while, like moths to flames. SMDH.
    So why are you hating on Nicholls and Van Pelt should they have turned down money?

Why do you care what they make its the going rate for them as well as Steven A and Bayless.

You can ask the same question about Steven A and Bayless and I happen to like Van Pelt a lot Nicholls is fairly harmless but she does what she needs to do.

You are missing a **** ton, why don't you start by examining why the pay of Nicholls and Van Pelt bothers you so much, if they made through the last round of cuts they certainly have their own niches and are paid accordingly.

Nook likes this.
  12. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Get the degree and it doesn’t matter how you got in. Don’t even worry about it. Plenty of people get in and never get out, and really that’s all that matters. **** ‘em.

13. DonatelloLimestone

No, I'm not hating that they should turn down money. I'm saying I'm shocked from a viewer perspective and I think that may be a majority reason that they don't have that consequential roles. Thats why I askked, are there any Nichols fans or Van Pelt. Do they have any driving force. Are people just watching sporcetner an the jump bc they want basketball entertainment where ss Steven a probably headline their show for outrageous tates.

Why do I care? Maybe the same reason any of us are discussing anything? This is a discussion board.

Its not like Van pelt, nichols, beadles, or any of these people are bad or not harmeless. I don't have any issue for them, bt the teams can replace them for another elite figure, 1 million for any news caster of which there are lines for who can read and do a good enough job, not bad, not inside the nnba memorable, and stil be high paid without all this drama. There are very, very few sportscasters I think are indispensable to the point where you have to pay them 5 plus or lose somethign that the target audience would notice.

Thats why I was curious, does anyone think that they would really be missed or can't be replaced even for a fifth of the price? Is there a difference from the nba tv guys to pelton or nichols? They almost all deliver close to the same way.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is a thread about what Nicholls said not about her pay or Van Pelt for anything.

It's very evident you have an issue with their pay or you would not have brought it up in a thread that had nothing to do with it.

If you are so curious make a thread about it and the fact that they made it through all the cuts and are making that amount of money should already let you know they have a following or do you think ESPN gave them that money because they like them?

Do you not understand how companies like this come to those decisions?

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm amazed this thread is 5 pages lol.

16. DonatelloLimestone

do I have an issue over their pay? lol I don't really care, do I care about the JUMP or sportscenter at all? No. I'm just making an observation, think most people would be shocked to see those guys command thtat salary in a free market for what they do almost at the same level as many otehrs. Simple as that. You act like ompanies are infallible and don't make mistakes, aren't efficeint. Look at NBA TV's production a whole new level of medocirity. Same thing. N

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've always wondered why you have to be a blonde woman to do the sideline...

18. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

ESPN is CNN.

19. HTXSportsAddict

You're correct. They totally botched the character of Finn among many other things. But hey, at least Boba Fett's ship is no longer called Slave II. What a clown world we live in.

20. Spooner

Spooner Member

Is hiring for diversity a bad thing? I thought that’s what people wanted.

B-Bob and durvasa like this.