1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYT] A Disparaging Video Prompts Explosive Fallout Within ESPN

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jul 4, 2021.

1. Spooner

Spooner Member

While I definitely agree with this, after listening to the audio I found what she said to be extremely mild. Its not like she made an ill advised facebook post. She was frustrated about not being in the Finals just like any other human would be talking to a close friend in what should have been a private conversation. I understand her frustration regarding the contract part of things I guess. That is frankly pretty douchy of ESPN if true. If I had a promise from ESPN and worked hard for it, I would want to know why as well. The whole thing just seemed very mild to me. No one seems to care that she said "why not get rid of Doris Burke instead of me?" It wasn't long ago that female sports castors were trying to get on level playing field with men and I'm not sure its even happened yet. So I'm sure Rachel had to pay her dues. Remember guys it wasn't long ago that everything was about female equality. Female marches, including as many females as possible in everything, etc. Now its like no one cares. She said she was afraid of getting replaced entirely and if you believe what a lot of women in sports media say, I'm sure it wasn't an easy road to get where she is. Cant you at least see how that would be frustrating for her? Everyone has a right to vent to a friend in confidence.

It really seems like our society is getting increasingly vindictive and maybe that's needed at this time to get things on the right track. I don't know its just sad to me how people are so quick to attack one another instead of celebrating that we are all flawed human beings. Is it not normal to be frustrated in private from time to time? Rachel was frustrated with her job and talking with a close friend about it. The USA is obviously trying to diversify everything to a much greater extent these days which I think is a great thing for our society that should have happened long ago. We all know this is happening. Are we supposed to get outraged or deny it when someone points it out? What exactly is the reason people are upset? I know they don't have quite the same history so they dont understand to the same extent but every time I go to Europe or talk with friends in EU they think we've gone completely insane lol.

#61 Spooner, Jul 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    Nook, GotGame15, Easy and 2 others like this.
  2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Michael Rapaport the dude that released KD's emails Michel Rapapaort?

jeezz what a hilarious situation this has become. I may tune in to ESPN again.

Theking and i3artow i3aller like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

These things happen in most workplaces and to immediately jump to the race card is shameful, she acknowledged it was about diversity and that's only part racial. Nichols was upset because they took something away from her that was in her contract, anybody would be upset about that.

I am disappointed in Maria for not sitting down and talking about it and then saying white people talk differently behind close doors while not also acknowledging she stepped on another person's contract.

I am really disappointed that somebody took this off the server and then spread it around as if Nicholls was out here calling folks niggers.

Those people who are jumping to the she said said Maria only got the gig because of she is black are only looking at it superficially and looking for something to be outraged about, what would you have done if it was you?

And the people saying it's gonna make Maria's job harder are really just stirring **** up. There is just no reason for Maria to not return calls, that's just childish high school behavior, Nichols is one of the main reasons she has that job.

We as black people need to be more thoughtful and not turn everything that can be considered racial up to 11.

People remember **** like this.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Went to watch it but it was 52 minutes! I'll just assume it would have been better that way.

DreamShook likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Diversity does not only mean black it's also about being a female for people to frame it as only race are not looking at the big picture.

And so what if there are racial undertones why is that wrong, race has undertones in everyday life so now white people can't talk about how race is affecting their life and should she not be worried about something being taken away from her?

We are talking about humans here, everybody feels some type of way when something is taken from them.

6. Spooner

Spooner Member

I'm not going to get into who is more qualified and the phone call aside, imagine if Maria Taylor had a contractual agreement with ESPN to do the finals and then she was supplanted by Rachel Nichols and lets say the reasoning was that Rachel was more qualified and because of that ESPN terminated the agreement with Maria. Rachel then takes the job without the slightest concern for her colleague and refuses to acknowledge any of the drama it has created. Does that sound like white privilege? Just a few years ago I was told that white women were being marginalized. Really makes you think.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

WTF?

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Does anyone like Rachel Nichols (besides Outkick/Clay Travis/Jason Whitlock)? I guess there is one…

Hope Maria lands at CBS, NBC, FOX or Turner.

And maybe Rachel can go host a failed show on CNN. Wait, she already did that.

#68 J.R., Jul 4, 2021
    lionaire likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

#69 J.R., Jul 4, 2021
    i3artow i3aller likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. i3artow i3aller

Racial Nichols

Bearded13, WinorLoseMate and J.R. like this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

H.D. likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What do you mean 'these people'?

Pandaemonaeon and clutchdabear like this.
  14. DonatelloLimestone

ha, but seriously. Does anyone think if Scott Van Pelt or Rachel Nichols are gone that any viewers are going to care that much, to the point where they are demanding mid level nba millons in contract money for a pretty cut and dry job that the weathermen type can do. is any of their drama even worth it. At least Steven A and Bayless have some odd screaming niche that has turned into a known personality, can't say that for most of the others

15. i3artow i3aller

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

But is Maria Taylor actually more qualified? A quick look at their wikipedia pages and Rachel Nichols has 14 years more experience, more professional league coverage (Maria Taylor mostly covered college before the NBA), and also more awards.

Personal feelings aside, since I don't know these ESPN personalities too well, Nichols is more qualified and was contractually given the gig. She has a reason to feel slighted.

pantherheat1022, cmoak1982 and HP3 like this.
  17. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

Seniority doesn't mean someone is better, there are plenty of people who have senority but a newer person has better ability and can surpass them. We see rookies develop into all stars over a few years over older vets all the time.

ESPN was offering Maria more money as a rising star and she may have tested better with audiences. If someone can show Rachel's salary, I'm seeing 1.5 million a year and they were offering Maria 5 million. That is likely that she is a bigger draw with audiences, regardless of experience or past awards. This was what was happening now and money like that pretty much always has a business reason.

Also Rachel likely may have had options in her contract for ESPN to reassign her, that is only her side of the story in what may have been an emotional comment. We don't know the inner workings of her contract, but most employers have freedom to make changes.

FrontRunner, GotGame15 and UTSA2step like this.
  18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Whatever happened to that one blonde, older lady that seemed to hate everything in sports but the San Antonio Spurs? Michelle Something.

19. TheresTheDagger

I never liked Nichols....thought she was very obvious in her pandering and didn't add much to the average NBA fan's viewing experience. It appears we've found something that conservatives and progressives can finally agree on. Rachel Nichols is garbage.

Richie_Rich and pippendagimp like this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This what's hurting our country, everybody has to be on a team and it's posters like you that love stirring the pot.

Really @J.R. you don't give a **** about any of the people involved but here you are doing a play by play.