1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Draft Mobley.
    Trade up for to acquire Sengun and Jaylen Johnson.

Still need to outfit the backcourt but that really gives a ton of young depth 3-5 considering Tate, Wood, KMJ.

D-rock likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

You would lose that bet.

3. Spooner

Spooner Member

Embiid had freaking Ben Simmons as his robin while playing with a knee injury and Denver had significant injuries. Are we going to say Harden didn’t deserve mvp because he got bounced in the second round continuously? Also comparing Gobert to Sengun is silly. Gobert has no on ball skills he couldn’t possibly be more of a different player than Sengun. You just think every center is unplayable in the playoffs regardless of their skill set? Mystifyingly odd comment. And still I wouldn’t hesitate in taking a perennial DPOY with the 10th pick are you kidding me?

There is an extremely young guy who put up crazy numbers in a professional basketball league and is clearly a savant to anyone who spends 5 minutes watching tape on him but we are supposed to overlook that because of some narrative that isn’t even true. Ask Anthony Davis who probably could have won another title this year if big men have a place in the NBA. In the draft you take the best basketball player period and don’t think about current narratives. Or are we supposed to let Evan Mobley slide to the teens because he’s a center?

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Denver would have won it all had JM stayed healthy.

5. Spooner

Spooner Member

Jokic averaged 30-12-5 in the postseason this year but it’s his fault they lost because he’s unplayable in the playoffs. Let those numbers sink in. A team with a center as its best player can’t win regardless of circumstance. How did the Brooklyn nets do again this year? The stupidity on this forum sometimes...

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Nah, Chris Paul woulda still got'em.

BlastOff, burlesk and hakeem94 like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Haha, it's Green for me by a small margin, but I do want to see better passing out of him.

You want guards that can spoon feed your bigs. Remember how good we were with Capela with Paul and Harden as great passers, and Capela isnt a top lottery talent.

I see guards as the engine that drives the team. Wings need to be switchable and high IQ and bigs need to be quick-footed rim protectors.

dmoneybangbang and D-rock like this.
  8. Rockets4Life13

I don’t get where your aggression is coming from. You’re putting words into my mouth, lol.

The point is that classic post play has Its limitations and probably isn’t the best offense in the NBA anymore. Sengun‘s greatest strength is his post play. That’s all, lol.

doesn’t mean he isn’t good.

napalm06 likes this.
  9. Rockets4Life13

Take a step back from the computer, you’re being ridiculous and putting words into people’s mouths.

take a deep breath dude.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. napalm06

Not sure why there's a need to call the whole forum stupid because of a disagreement in philosophy and then attack a strawman to complete the elitist jackass combo. (Seems like projecting to me?)

I bet you also were team Darko, Thabeet, Oden --- God this forum is so dumb.

(See how easy it is?)

This ain't politics man, we can have a direct conversation and have multiple opinions.

Again are you people shocked every year when the hype builds for Gobert and nothing comes from it?

Your bigs need to to be quick, hard-workers. They don't need to put up 30 if it comes at the expense of defensive ability. It's the exact same damn thing for Damian Lillard. But it's a problem that's often suffered by skilled bigs. Hakeem Olajuwon is incredible for that very reason.

Given the last 20 years of draft results I don't roll the dice on a guy in the top 10 expecting a slow-footed mismatch (on both ends) who can put up 30 and has some of the best passing ever. Jokic is an incredible and flawed player and a GM will have a big task to build around him. He needs to be the 2nd best player on the team if he's going to win a ring. "MVP", lol.

11. napalm06

I don't agree with this at all. But I like Denver and I would've preferred to see them play the Suns, I don't like to see any injuries.

This is hyperbole to make a point that Jokic is not a defensive liability, it seems.

cbass likes this.
  12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

As long as the price to trade up isn't too steep, would really like to add 2 quality bigs to this team, even if the Rockets do draft Mobley.

Whether Sengun, or Jalen Johnson, Kai Jones, whoever. Someone is going to slip. Maybe all the way to 23, but probably not.

The dream is to get someone with size who can't be played off the court in the playoffs.

Two Sandwiches and D-rock like this.
  13. Spooner

Spooner Member

Are you insinuating that people can’t have differing opinions about politics? I never cared for any of the bigs you mentioned. You don’t generally take bigs that high and I’m firmly in the Green camp this year. Having said that we are talking about pick #10 if you want to pass on a guy with star potential to pick up a role player like Moses Moody or Franz Wagner be my guest. The Gobert comparison is really silly and deep down I think you know that. They couldn’t be more different as players. I’ve always seen things outside of the consensus or meta if you will and if that makes me an elitist I will gladly accept the complement.

14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Be honest, is it because Johnson reminds you of Aaron Gordon?

15. MrButtocks

The Nuggets were in the WCF literally last season. That's no easy feat on a team with no other all-stars. Jokic's defensive issues are overblown. Denver's defensive rating was 12th in the league. Brooklyn, who I thought was one of the top contenders this year before injuries, was 23rd in defensive rating.

invocux, JayZ750, burlesk and 3 others like this.
  16. varughese.arun

Haha trash

HardenVolumeOne likes this.
  17. napalm06

Best argument that has been made so far. But I don't agree that his defensive issues are overblown. I think you have to take them into heavy consideration when building a championship Jokic roster. Not saying it's impossible though. Maybe Denver just needs grittier defensive wings. They are consistently a top tier team but they are exploitable in a 7 game series when the intensity hits peak.

I was honestly shocked Nets were even able to stay competitive with a hobbled Harden and minimal rim protection. Their wings really stepped up and Durant played uncharacteristically great two way ball.

I just don't think people should point to MVP as some sort of deciding argument. MVP means almost nothing to me. It's an individual media driven narrative award. Though it's impressive individually that he won it from the 2nd round or whatever.

#37 napalm06, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sure. Forget mvp. He's one of the top players in the league, how is that arguable? He can't win a championship? How many other players were said the same thing before they won one? Saying you wouldn't take Jokic with a 10th pick is just straight up trolling.

19. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Luis Scola!!!

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. MrButtocks

Maybe you have to consider how Denver's defense would fare if you put Jokic in drop coverage if he is getting cooked. Again, that has not been necessary as their defense has been league average at worst the past few years. With today's iso heavy offenses any weak defender, big or small, is exploitable so why single out Jokic as a liability? We attacked Steph Curry in iso repeatedly and almost won. You can build a contender around an individual weak defender. Jokic's style of play also allows any type of defensive player to be a good fit next to him, like Dirk being able to play next to Tyson Chandler. There are no spacing issues with him.

Your argument sounds a lot like Harden's detractors, where they said his defense was so awful that Houston couldn't contend. But the defensive stats showed that Harden's defensive woes were totally overblown and we were able to contend. We may not have won, but it wasn't because of Harden's defense. Maybe you feel like Jokic is the worst defender in the league, but that certainly hasn't been quantified.

clutchdabear likes this.