1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I saw @Clutch's podcast on Lock on Rockets where he really disliked this kid even if he fell to 23/24. I did some research on the kid and I couldn't disagree more. Please watch the embeded video below and tell me he doesn't at least have a chance to be a young Jokic. The best thing is mock drafts are placing him anywhere from 6-32, so some teams will be scared away and won't even consider him.

I'd like to make my case for this guy as a potential trade up target especially if he gets past the Spurs at 12. Target would be 13-15 picks, as OKC has the 16th pick and I'm not sure if he'll last past OKC. Also, Stone has shown the ability to get NBA level starters/Top 8 rotation players with ease - Martin Jr/Tate - so we should be looking at players that have potential to be the best 2-3 players on a championship team.

Pros
    - MVP/DOMINATED a professional league at 18 years old (Turkish league and Eurocup); seen anywhere from 3rd best to 6th best league in the world, so this isn't just G-League or Chinese league level
    - Elite-NBA level post moves and foot work and #1 in league at drawing fouls
    - 65% FG, 81% FT with great form, indicating potential to stretch out to 3 point line
    - Potential ability to be focal point of offense
    - Above average NBA passer already. 2.5 assists in 28 minutes, which is high for centers in Europe.
    - 1.7 Blks/1.3 Stls in 28 minutes per game, indicating active hands and great timing
    - Elite NBA level rebounding. Already elite at boxing out/timing with high offensive rebounding rate.
    - Elite motor. Talk about always wanting to improve and out working everyone.
    - Extremely high IQ
    - Did I already mention he is 18 years old???

Cons
    - Poor lateral movement, may have trouble guarding quick players. However, Jokic/Embiid/Gobert/Ayton can't guard perimeter players either.
    - Below average wingspan and below average athleticism. Jokic is 6'11 with a 7'3 wingspan. Sengun is 6'10 with a 6-11 to 7'1 wingspan and may not be done growing. Difference is small here.

Overall - This is a basketball savant that was the MVP of a good professional league at 18 years old. He has ELITE NBA level offensive post moves, efficient shooting/scorer with potential ability to shoot 3s, ELITE NBA level rebounder and work ethic, with above average passing, at just 18 years old. Defense may be a weak point, but he has shown the ability to guard post players and have quick hands/great timing indicated by STL/BLK%. HIs superstar offensive potential greatly trumps his potential defensive deficiencies. If he had good lateral movement, was more athletic with good wingspan/height, he would have been a top 3 pick.

2. CXbby

CXbby Member

He is not falling outside the top 10.

Sengun is going to be one of the best players in the draft.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Jokic can't play defense and so his team can't sustain 7 game series.

#3 napalm06, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i didnt watch many videos of other candidates, but this guy is a baller par excellance...he can play and you can tell he loves to play...i trust stone to make the right decisions because he showed me the flashes and hints of brilliance in acquiring good players

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

If you don't like him you probably thought Doncic was too slow/fat to play in the NBA too. They are similar level prospects. Sengun is a prodigy. As a big his defensive shortcomings get exposed more in the NBA so I won't say he is exactly on Doncic level, but also his defensive shortcomings are being overblown. He is more athletic than people give him credit for and he uses his intelligence/positioning really well on D.

His floor is Sabonis. At 18 he is better in every way than Sabonis was at the same age in Gonzaga. His ceiling is probably the other Sabonis, Arvydis - pre-NBA in his prime without the knee injury, one of the best players in the world.

Patience, tagedieb, kokozo and 22 others like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

We should take him at #2.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

So you are telling me you wouldn't draft Jokic, the reining mvp, with the 10th pick if you could do it again? If you would then what are we talking about here?

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sengun legit might go 4 to Toronto or 6 to okc. Two organizations who know how to draft.

bmelo, BallSoHarden, ipaman and 4 others like this.
  9. Spooner

Spooner Member

I have him as the 8th best prospect in the draft and there is easily a case for him to be higher IMO. I have no idea why people say he’s slow. Maybe not switchable at his current weight but he’s not as bad a rim protector as people make him out to be. He put up amazing numbers at a very young age and his skills are mind blowing at his size. I have no doubt he will be a very good player.

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I was also surprised that Clutch was so low on Sengun's fit and so high on Jalen Johnson. I'd much rather have Sengun.

D-rock, MoMobley, Richie_Rich and 8 others like this.
  11. napalm06

Are you telling me you would?

"Big man no win but big man big!"

I guess we can see what happens if Denver finds the right mix of elite defensive wings.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Would I draft the mvp with the 10th pick, yeah I think I would. I would take him with the 1st pick without thinking twice lol. Wtf is going on here?

13. napalm06

Good question, as far as I can tell the points you are making are .... MVP? Feels like a Westbrook conversation. Or are you trying to make a point for Sengun? I can't tell.

Are you also surprised yearly when Gobert gets DPOY and gets exposed in the playoffs year after year? This isn't 1998.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Reminds me of Rocket legend Jim Peterson

#14 ApacheWarrior, Jul 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2021
    Plowman and hakeem94 like this.
  15. CertifiedTroll

This looks like a dude that will be drafted and not get a single minute on a NBA court

hakeem94, jacoby, fryjol7 and 6 others like this.
  16. Spooner

Spooner Member

You are right. It’s not 1998. It’s 2021. A time when the two finalists for MVP were both centers.

raining threes, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  17. Rockets4Life13

And both of them were bounced in the 2nd round by guards.

I still like Sengun and still like Jokic and if you get an MVP candidate at #10 obviously you take it, but @napalm06 has a point.

I‘d give Jokic a few more years as he’s still only 26 and his 2nd/3rd best player was hurt.

YaoMing#1, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

With that logic, you Green Gang or Mobley Mob?

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It's impossible for someone who dominated a top 5 league in the world at such a young age to not pan out. This kid is gonna at least be Scola level with passing. Unfortunately I'm starting to think that there's no way we'd get him without trading up.

MoMobley, 13 in 33, burlesk and 4 others like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

I like Sengun, but like Jalen Johnson much much more.

Would take either at 23.

But would only trade up for Jalen Johnson.

Trackwell, ickaruto and ball king23 like this.