1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Picking #2, #23 and #24 who do you...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ballgame, Jun 30, 2021.

1. ball king23

ball king23 Member

I am think barnes does have upside i do like his game but green hard to say no to at 2 but with 23 i would go big maybe TJ Thor 24 I would say BJ Boston if available

larry cook likes this.
  2. larry cook

larry cook Member

2. Jalen Green Pair with KPJ and we'll have one of the best backcourts in a few years.
    23. Trey Murphy III Elite shooting 3 and D small forward. Similar game to Mikal Bridges from the suns.
    24. JT THor Explosive Big Man with Potential.

Unfortunately Corey Krispert and Kai Jones will be gone by the time we pick with 23, and 24.

3. raining threes

Agree with alot of this post.

MDA was a Les hire. Morey wanted Van Gundy.

Les and his lack of spending is what doomed the Rockets to no championships.

PWR and Ramo$e like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I felt his decision to take Marcus over Kawhi clearly showed his limitations. Marcus was slow, his jumper was better at Kawhi but not by all that much. Marcus had poor lateral movement. Kawhi could defend 1-3 even coming into the league. We saw Morey picking up Dekker over Portis. Dorsey over D.J. He did better in the second round.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

I think the Rockets need to be very careful about their picks.
    The team needs, strength, good minds and some tall players, We need height!
    My picks would be :-
    #2 Mobley, #23 Mann # 24 Maker

CriscoKidd and albuster like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

#2 Evan Mobley (7'0 w/7'5 wingspan)
    #23 Jalen Johnson (6'8 w/7'0 wingspan)
    #24 Joe Wisekamp (6'7 w/6'11 wingspan)

Just keep adding MORE vertical pop, ball handling, rebounding, pace, space (3ball), defense and LENGTH!!!!

Rockets will run teams off the court with this rotation:

Porter/Wall/Augustin
    Tate/Khyri/Brooks
    Johnson/Wisekamp
    Mobley/KJ
    Wood/Olynyk

Package EGo + 23 to move up and take Jalen Johnson, trade House for SRP and draft Scottie Lewis, Herb Jones or Vrenz Bleijenbergh.

#46 D-rock, Jul 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2021
    Shark44, PWR, TimDuncanDonaut and 4 others like this.
  7. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I feel like Kawhi would've already left us for another team. That dude has got some wanderlust.

D-rock likes this.
  8. albuster

albuster Member

This line up has the potential to be very good if given time to jell and develop chemistry. The past 10 or so years with Morey was a period when all that was talked about was offensive efficiency and the three point shot. There was not much talk or focus on defense which is the other half of the game. I just watched the Bucks/Hawks game and it reminded me of the many other playoff teams in the past, particularly the MJ Bulls. The Bulls were known for their prolific scorers but what was not talked about much was their total dedication to defense. They were, more than their out of this world offensive players, a devastating and fearsome defensive machine. I saw in the game tonight how great the defense of both teams were. Yes, the scoring was great but Budenholzer's emphasis on defense that was honed from the great Spurs teams showed in the way the Bucks played championship defense. The whole point is that the Rockets have a great opportunity, now that Harden and Morey are gone, to develop a basketball culture focused on both sides of the court. The defensive side demands much more effort and solid commitment and that is where Stone should start if the Rockets are ever going to be a champion again. In my view, Stone should draft Mobley at #2.

9. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

#2 Jalen Green
    #23 Jared Bulter
    #24 Jeremiah Robinson-Earl

It would be huge for us, Bulter and Robinson, both high IQ smart basketball players, play great defense.

I believe Robinson-Earl is the best P&R big man defender in this draft, perfect small-ball 5.

10. weopeo9744

weopeo9744 Member

Shark44, saleem and fckbandwagons like this.
  11. kiwirocketsfan

First time seeing this guy. He looks really solid, doesn’t leap off the screen but shows good hustle, energy and skill.

Every team needs guys like this.

saleem likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

13. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I said I wanted wings at first but if this guy is available at 23 I really want him.

That footwork... that passing...

And winning MVP of a major men's league at 18 is no joke.

FLASH21, clutchdabear, vcchlw and 3 others like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like your picks. I have no insider information, my gut feeling is Green has a 60-40 edge over Mobley with the Rockets brass right now. This can change if Mobley has better workouts in my humble opinion.
    @ApacheWarrior

D-rock likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Good stuff.

But going to need a 5 with 1 of those late picks if Green is top choice.

Or at least a long point forward.

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think its a well known fact that Morey wanted to tank it up but Les wouldn't allow it , the team had to remain competetive.

Without a doubt , given the opportunity Morey would have gone thru the process like Philly .... multiple bad years until we got that franchise player.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  17. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

It took 1 season to get #2 it was incredibly lucky, but as Thanos would say, "the work is done". You are fool if you still believe that. I did at the time too but come on man. The only thing keeping Morey from tanking was his incredibly oversized EGO and the drive to prove he build a winning team with short cuts and analytics. Maybe if I never experience the Rockets winning I wouldn't expect much winning team isn't good enough to win a championship team. Chemistry something always neglected is the most important part, can't overcome adversity your guys don't like each other.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Come on man , You are just making **** up. Its common knowledge that Les was anti tank. Les came right out and stated he wouldn't allow his team to tank and voted for league rules to penalize tanking.

Here , have a read dude ....

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander offers opinion on NBA schedule, tanking - Ultimate Rockets (chron.com)

D-rock and fckbandwagons like this.
  19. amaru

amaru Member

To be fair, the protection his staff out on this years pick saved us from Tilman’s dumbass decision.

saleem and D-rock like this.
  20. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I prefer to use his name given at birth. Dikembe Mutombo.

D-rock and juanming like this.