1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Please don’t listen to him. @KingCheetah talks out of his p**** more times than not

D-rock likes this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

Definitely not the same in terms of grades.

Ben Simmons

"Ben Simmons wasn't certified for the Wooden Award because of poor grades
    The Wooden Award's set of criteria includes academic requirements, stating all candidates must have at least a 2.0 grade point average and be full-time students. "​

article

Mobley has a near 4.0 GPA. If people talk about motivation and drive, he balanced academics and athletics. Kid having both; book smart and ball smart.

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  3. PhiSlammaJamma

The G league may be better, and a good predictor, but you have to separate that from the pick and from saying that Mobley is less than Green because you know more. It's just one extra page in the book. One less year of professional experience. Mobley can still be the better talent though.

D-rock likes this.
  4. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wut?

It is an example of a player who actually domniated the GL with a greater sample size in multiple years, what does the NCAA have to do with it?

Why does projection only matter for Green?

5. dmoneybangbang

It's an example of why the G league, a league with professionals, gives one a look at how prospects go up against overall talent closer to the NBA

Why would you assume that?

I've brought up Mobley's competition and the weak USC schedule.

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Dude, his criteria is to compare similar players, dang, simple reading comprehension.

7. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I know they made the playoffs but 2 out of 7 years is nothing to write home about. Considering they were never a contender or even close to a high seed.

When you watch Mobley does he remind you of Hakeem? Cuz he sure doesn't to me. He even runs kinda funny. He's an injury waiting to happen.

If this was 1984 I'd be all over Mobley. But this is 2021 and basketball is no longer a big man game.

hakeem94 and Rocket_Man_2.0 like this.
  8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m looking for more book smart and streetsmart

9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

But it actually does not do that, once again we can give examples of players that have actually dominated the GL but could not stick in the NBA but for some reason those examples do not matter when it comes to Green.

Yes you have brought up Mobley's competition while acting like Green went up against top notch talent every week. The GL has never been known as a strong defensive league, yet for some reason 18 ppg means something.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. dmoneybangbang

I guess that seems more helpful to prove Mobley is a AD comparison, but it also shows the variance of Anthony Davis to Brandon Clarke to Nerlin Noel.

Seems to back up the notion of mine that Mobley is high variance.

#730 dmoneybangbang, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does Hakeem have to do with anything?

He does not have to Hakeem to be the correct pick, Does AD or Giannis remind you of Hakeem.

Atlanta and MiL both start 2 bigs and they are in the the ECF and Ayton says hello.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

But that's not the point, the point is trying to determine the level of play. The average NCAA player in a D1 power conference is not as a good their G League counterpart.

Conversely, the best NBA prospects use the NCAA but that talent is diluted by the overall numbers of the NCAA. Just do the math......

But Green went up against professionals playing NBA rules. Is that enough to put Green over Mobley in a vacuum, no. It's just instructive when trying to decide between players.

13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

If Phoenix had Luka they'd already be in the finals. Ayton is good a player but he will never be great. CP3 made people think Deandre Jordan was a good player.

I brought Hakeem up because in your reply to me you asked if Hakeem was a bust. This dude doesn't remind me anything of Hakeem. He kinda reminds me of Ralph Sampson.

The only reason Atlanta and Milwaukee are in still is cuz of injuries. Is that what you want? Draft a guy and hope everyone else gets hurt?

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That's exactly the point.

We have a litany of examples, that putting up numbers in the GL means squat, yet for some reason that means nothing when concerning Green.

I mean should Green be ahead of Cade because he played in the GL?

No it's not that instructive because those numbers usually do not translate to the NBA and that's a fact.

And then you only have a 15 game sample size and it is even less of a determination.

hakeem94 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

D-rock you may be right about Mobley being a better player than Jalen Green, but the GM's of the Cavs and the Raptors will never make their decisions based on the subversives on this board. Let their fans pray. GM's aren't paid to listen to them. You're passionate, I like that. Take it easy.

I don't trust Stone entirely, but I think he will make a good decision at the top and also at 23 and 24. It's entirely possible, that he will go after a more established star, for the picks. I don't think he will succeed in acquiring one. He got Wood for the 16th pick. I expect him to try and acquire Zion or Luka for the 3 FRP's.

I don't think he should do that. I don't think they want to be part of a rebuilding team. Morey and he are the same in this aspect. TF wants instant results. Stone is under pressure. We all would love to go deep into the playoffs. It's just not that easy to expect it to happen. I know you're realistic, but TF seems very impulsive to me.

#735 saleem, Jun 30, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

No. You are only looking at the top end and not looking at the entire league.

You think the PAC12 would beat the G League. I don't.

So you completely ignored it when I said:

Is that enough to put Green over Mobley in a vacuum, no. It's just instructive when trying to decide between players.

Conversely your average NCAA D1 player will never play in any sort of proleague. So we are comparing a league where your average player isn't even good enough to play in a Chinese or Russian league.

Again. You think the PAC12 would beat the G League, I think that's laughable.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does that have to do with anything?

Atlanta and Mil finished in the top 4 of the conference starting 2 big men, the Lakers also started 2 big men when healthy.

Ayton is still valuable and he is a big so not the era of the big is not over.

I never asked you if was Hakeem a bust, just stop.

Mobley is not your traditional big and if you are looking at him like that you don't really know a lot about basketball.

If you are thinking anybody in the draft is a franchise player you are also most likely to be disappointed.

The fact that you think he reminds you of Sampson but are knocking him is telling, Sampson would be a top 5 player in the the NBA today.

D-rock likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I did not ignore it i just think its very true because we have a **** load of players who have actually dominated the GL and have done squat in the NBA.

This has nothing to do with the Pac 12 vs the GL it has to do with GL numbers not translating HISTORICALLY to the NBA.

Anyway I am done because your argument boils down to the if the average player in the NBA is better than the average player in the GL and that is irrelevant to this discussion.

Simple question can you give an example of 5 guys whose numbers translated from the GL to the NBA?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

LOL wut?

20. dmoneybangbang

Then you should know I'm just using the GL experience as part of greater evaluation. By that logic most of the NCAA numbers don't translate into the NBA either since the vast majority of NCAA players don't play pro.

The reason why the GL would beat the PAC 12 or whatever power conference is because the overall talent is better and more experienced (aka professionals). It's pretty simple.

And your average GL player is better than your average NCAA player.

Aaron Brooks, Ish Smith, DMo, Patrick Beverly, Robert Covington, Clint Capela, Montrezl Harrell, KPJ, and KMJ from the Rockets side.

But that isn't the argument, the argument is overall skill level. Why would the top 5 guys be indicative of the overall skill level of a league.