1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pippen: Phil is a racist.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AleksandarN, Jun 28, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Does Lebron always roll 5 to 10 deep?

Can you show proof of this?

2. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I have no idea, I don't follow LeBron enough to know anything of the sort and I'm not trying to comment on this regarding him specifically. I could have been more clear about that.

Just saying a hypothetical situation where I'd personally consider describing a hypothetical group of people as a "posse"

jiggyfly likes this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I get it but posse is mainly assigned to black people.

You rarely here that when its a group of white people.

4. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I don't really disagree, it is a term i rarely hear regardless.
    It is synonymous with "entourage" which I do hear applied to white people and black people in fairly equal measure.

When I hear "posse" in regards to white people it is usually in old western movies, referring to a band of outlaws.

When I hear "posse" in regards to LeBron's entourage, I can see why he'd be upset by that characterization.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

In Westerns, did it refer to a band of outlaws or a band of people enforcing the law? I thought it's the latter.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/posse

I didn't realize it was considered a racialized term, until Jackson was criticized for using it.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

wow, Phil Jackson is actually racist as sh*t…maybe that Kukoc incident wasn’t based on racism, but that won’t distract from the type of person Phil Jackson actually is

and yes, I doubt Phil Jackson would ever call a successful white person’s group his “posse”…I always hear it used for black people like Lebron had a bunch of people playing games and smoking weed around him and not guys actually making moves

Patience likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Phil really tried the NBA’s version of the racist “dumb black QB” talking point…wow

jiggyfly likes this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Religious studies... Eastern Religions in America with Jeff Kripal

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

JumpMan likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

the word “posse” used with black people often has negative connotations, and after seeing some of the other stuff Phil has said, we all know why he chose to use that word when talking about Lebron…

jiggyfly, Patience and SuperMarioBro like this.
  11. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Phil is not only racist, but also a pretty overrated coach. YEAH I SAID IT

... Honestly not a hot take. Phil was a great coach, but I don't think he is/was on the level of guys like Pop or Riley. He showed minimal ability to check egos or drama, and he never won anything without all-time level talent on his team.

It's funny how that works, cuz he was such a high IQ bball player. Similar thing with McGrady. Kinda intursting how brilliant fast-paced decisions don't always jive so well with slow-paced decisions...

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Scottie Pippen's ability to explain his train of thought here was whack af, at best... He was definitely on somethin strong during this interview. But given Phil's history, I think it's reasonable to believe that Pippen's thoughts about Phil were based on reality. Pippen's just not a bright dude and struggles to convey his thoughts clearly... especially when he's high as a kite.

13. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I was about to dismiss this as typical Pippen stupidity, but reading some of those quotes from the book and from 1999, wow. Even for the 70s, that is not exactly progressive thinking on race relations. What a load of horse**** about "white basketball" vs. "black basketball". Hard to fathom Jackson thinking that way (much less writing about it in his book), even in the 70s. (Reminds me a little of Bill Simmons comparing Doncic's passing vision vs. Harden's "cheap assists", but that's another discussion)

Just shows the difference between perception and reality. TBH, Phil has always talked a lot of **** (about his own players, other team's players, other coaches....) yet somehow he has a public image of being this serene peacemaker.

#93 Patience, Jun 29, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Richie_Rich and Reeko like this.
  14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and Kobe Bryant are 0 for life at winning rings without Phil Jackson. And they played with other coaches. MJ & Kobe played for & won multiple titles with Phil twice. Put some respect on that man's name.

15. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

i've heard both

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

Pippen was spot on about Phil being racist, he just didn’t use a good example or at least one that can be proven when he was talking so he’s gonna end up getting dismissed

the way Phil talks, NBA should’ve been called “no blacks allowed”

H.D. likes this.
  17. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I can't believe he talked about his Knicks teammates that way. He is presumably talking about Earl Monroe and Clyde Frazier, two of the best guards of all time. It's not like he was playing with Larry Hughes and JR Smith. It just sounds so petty and needlessly divisive. I mean a LOT of people were racists in the 70s, but it says something special about Phil's sociopathy that he felt the need to both be racist and to trash his championship teammates at the same time.

Richie_Rich and SuperMarioBro like this.
  18. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Wow. I follow basketball pretty closely and I honestly had no idea about this

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

Phil really tried to act like he’s some open minded, progressive, intellectual when he’s actually an ignorant, racist fool

20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

As I said, good coach. But you conspicuously left Shaquille O'neal off your list... the second best player Phil ever coached, and arguably the best center of all time. Phil has coached more all time greats than almost anyone in NBA history, and some of the deepest and most stacked rosters the league has ever seen. It just happens to be that he's also coached them all in their primes... and only in their primes. All those players were developed and/or proven talents well before Phil got there and were on the decline as he left. Which is not a coincidence. He has a well documented history of being a front runner. He left the Bulls immediately after the big three fell apart, and he left the Lakers twice when their dynasties fell apart. After his success in Chicago, the guy used his celebrity to get only the most grand slam positions available for like 19 years.