1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

If true Lebron wouldn't have needed AD. If true we would be champs by now. I agree you don't have to be big to play big but name a all guard championship team lol. Even Draymond is SF/PF that can play center.

jiggyfly, JayGoogle and D-rock like this.
  2. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Mobley is 20 he's not even done maturing into his body. At 7'0 tall with a 7’4 wingspan not many people are going to able to shoot over you even if they are stronger. lol

groovemachine, JayGoogle and D-rock like this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If Mobley had AD's skill on offense to go along with his defensive tools he'd go #1 over Cade easily. I'm not talking about current AD, I'm talking about AD even at Kentucky and high school. Mobley's jumper and ballhandling are still developing. People knock Mobley for being skinny because he's a big man. Green as a ultra athletic guard with NBA range doesn't need to worry about that.

4. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Mobley has guard skills at 7 feet. He can put the ball on the floor too.

groovemachine and D-rock like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Especially with his bounce and pogo stick ability.

groovemachine, JayGoogle and Ramo$e like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Chad Ford just said so.

Go back a page.

8. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

AD needed LeBron more than LeBron needed AD

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

you mean he has some ball handling skills, guards skills include actually shooting and scoring.

remains to be seen whether he can actually shoot like AD. He for sure can't bulk up like AD. AD has a really wide frame.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Mobley is incredibly skilled, I agree with that. The assertion was that he has as much skill as AD coming out of the draft. I disagree with that entirely. Not only was AD a more explosive athlete, but his offense was way more advanced. He focused on defense at Kentucky, but you'd think he were a 6'11" wing in high school. Just look at his highlights below. He was crossing over and spinning around guards, hitting contested step back and double clutch threes. Mobley doesn't do that stuff off the dribble yet. And that's fine, most big men can't.

11. Clutch City1993

So true. If Mobley was so rare and gifted, would be the unanimous #1

12. Clutch City1993

Mobley was getting abused by college 5's. What is going to happen going against Jokic and Embiid? Lol

Drift Monkey and Corrosion like this.
  13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

There was actually a video someone posted in another thread...it was 2 hours long can't remember the title of it but they went into how Mobley's intelligence on defense was such that he knew he'd give up ground but how he always is able to challenge shots at the rim even against stronger centers...and does so without fouling.

That's one thing people should look at, Mobley has gone against bigger centers in college and was able to still be effective on defense. With a professional weight gain program no doubt he'll add on the weight and strength needed and become even better defensively than he is now.

Little Bit and D-rock like this.
  14. Clutch City1993

Also, name an NBA championship team in the last 10 years that had a "top" big man? (Not including AD who was carried by LBJ last postseason)

Corrosion likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

A healthy AD is the best player on the Lakers and should have won DPOY to boot.

HTXSportsAddict and Ramo$e like this.
  16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

His defense is elite.

Ramo$e and JayGoogle like this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think people really undersell just how good he was defensively...by a lot...and a lot of it isn't even physical stuff but IQ stuff and knowing where to be and what to do and communication.

18. Clutch City1993

Healthy is the keyword. I cringe everytime I see Christian Wood twisting and pivoting his little twig ankles.

Mobley has tremendous upside but alot of it is potential and not what he can do currently.

Ive said this before but Houston does not need a project big man.

You draft the best talent (proven) you can get or trade down for a better package (unlikely). I dont trust the FO at all though.

Just a bunch of yes men.

19. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That's a great point, that second jump quickness could be deadly on put backs...not to mention protecting and finishing at the rim from day one.

20. Clutch City1993

Chad Ford also had Rubio way ahead of Curry in the 2009 draft.

He also called Yi Jianlian the best international prospect of the 2007 nba draft.

Yikes

D-rock likes this.