1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Athletic) Detroit might pass on Cade and take Jalen Green #1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jun 22, 2021.

1. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Teams gather intel and have hunches. There's no way they know for sure.

But once again and for the final time, going off the thread and the tweets if Detroit wants Green and Stone believes this to be the case....Even if he LOVVVVVESSS Cade, he'd be foolish to give up "picks" to move up one spot just so Detroit can have their cake and eat it too. Detroit isn't going to take a guy they don't want at number 1 overall just to be spiteful.

2. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

That was a terrible trade for Philly, but the point was that if Houston felt that Cade was the clear cut #1 guy and Detroit was waffling they would move an asset to move up to #1. They would not dare Detroit to take him. Philly had the same intel everyone else did, that Boston wanted Tatum and the Lakers would likely take Lonzo, but they felt so strongly that Fultz was their guy that could not take the chance he would be drafted before their pick.

Let's do a hypothetical so that the bust factor isn't involved. In 2003, if Detroit caught wind that Cleveland was interested in someone besides Lebron at #1 (say Melo) should they have dared Cleveland to make that choice and settle for whoever's left? I know this is hindsight which is 20/20, but Cade is the consensus #1 at the moment. If Houston really thinks he'd be a Luka level player and Green has a risk factor involved, they'll move assets to guarantee their choice. Just like the Mavs traded up two spots to secure Luka in the 2018 draft.

Reeko, JusBleezy and hakeem94 like this.
  3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I'm not sure how that was justified as a good move at the time, let alone trying to justify it in hindsight.

I'll just agree to disagree on this one.

LOL Hell yeah they should have dared them to take someone else. Maybe they end up with Lebron instead of Whats his face.

But that isn't a good draft to prove your point either, because they picked the one huge bust in the top 5. There were three other guys that were taken right behind him that would've been great too.

#123 xtruroyaltyx, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    34to11 likes this.
  4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Or, Detroit is totally 100% split on Cade and Jalen, and would happily take either, and would take draft capital in order to not have to make the choice. In such a scenario, your version of Rafael would be risking losing Cade Cunningham for a measly draft pick, based on an erroneous hunch that Detroit wants Green over Cade.

That would be enormously stupid. It would not be stupid to send Detroit a pick to avoid these guessing games and get the Rockets the franchise player they covet.

Reeko, csnerd84 and hakeem94 like this.
  5. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

If Cade falls in our lap all this debate will be for naught :D

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

There's nothing to disagree about here. I said it was a terrible trade for Philly. I'm trying to explain why they did the move, because they felt so strongly about Fultz. Clearly they were wrong about him and he was a huge bust.

In my example, what if Detroit dares Cleveland to take Lebron and they actually do? Detroit loses out because they gave the opportunity to Cleveland. Forget that they picked Darko, anyone they picked would have been worse than Lebron. If you feel that strongly about someone you don't leave it to chance.

7. thekad

thekad Member

If the Rockets want Cade, you trade up to get him obviously. 2022 Top 8 protected, if not conveyed becomes one/two of the other numerous picks the Rockets have. You don’t let a pick get in the way of getting a player you believe is a superstar.

csnerd84 likes this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What if Cade starts throwing shade while sharpening a blade made of jade?

9. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Explaining why they did the move doesn't make it a smart move.
    I can explain why the Rockets traded CP3 for RW, but that doesn't justify the move.

34to11 and MrButtocks like this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I dunno why I keep reading how good a shooter Mobley is ..... the dude shot 29% from NCAA 3 & below 70% from the charity stripe. He's NOT a "Good shooter". He's a below average shooter ...

I feel the opposite - Give me a star potential guard early and I'll find a big man who can rebound and play defense at 24 , you have 5-6 to choose from and some of them can actually shoot.

DayRon Sharpe
    Isaiah Jackson
    Greg Brown
    Usman Garuba
    Kai Jones
    Neemias Queta
    Filip Petrusev
    Roko Prkačin

xtruroyaltyx, 34to11 and kevtse like this.
  11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

while drinking gatorade.

hakeem94 and KingCheetah like this.
  12. TimDuncanDonaut

If Pistons survey and want Green to play, little need to persuade us to choose Cade. Thanks for the aid, without having to trade.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

#133 J.R., Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    don grahamleone, D-rock and JusBleezy like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

If I'm Stone, I'm not giving up a single draft pick until the Rockets are back in the playoffs at least.

16. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Doesn't make any sense because there is no guarantee the Pistons can get green unless they trade with us. So they don't have much leverage in this trade, no need to offer such a high pick next year considering we have multiple picks in this draft to offer.

17. xaos

xaos Member

Are we able to make a trade like that considering OKC has the rights to our 2024/2026 and protected 2025 swap? or are you referring to BKN's/Buck's pick?

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

But, that's how we got James Harden...

Reeko, D-rock and JusBleezy like this.
  19. kiwirocketsfan

Even if Detroit take Green, I’m picking Mobley over Cunningham.

20. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Green is a super intriguing prospect. Given that the league is a guard heavy, pick and roll league now I would pick whoever is left out of Green or Cade if I am the Rockets. Obviously Mobley should be vetted but it really seems these 2 guys will be the best players from this draft in 3-5 years and beyond. I like the Ja Morant comparisons for Green but also think he reminds of Jaylen Brown especially reading that he lives at the gym and only cares about being the best ball player he can be. Cade may have the measurables/feel for the game but Green has a pretty good feel too and is very instinctive while still only being 19. I think he can develop into an above average defender and distributor considering his work ethic. He already has underrated handles which will only improve with age.

Anyways, I will basically be happy with Cade or Green at this point and consider them 1A and 1B. Mobley would be intriguing as well but can't really tell if he will have the same work ethic as Cade or Green to become a better player year after year. Not to mention that even if he does develop to be similar to AD, AD never even got his team to the playoffs did he? Supporting cast was rough yes, but there is no way a big man superstar will lead his team to a title anymore without a guard/wing superstar to pair with. I would rather get the likely star in Green or Cade.

hakeem94, xaos and RudyTBag like this.