1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Silas likes to go big, but man I’m scared of how thin Mobley is. That’s a freak injury waiting to happen.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  2. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Will still have the top 3 worst record with either Mobley or Green.

daywalker02 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  3. Rocket_Man_2.0

Players with Mobleys build usually have a lot of injury problems. Oden, Bowie, Yao. Those twig legs won't last...especially if he gains a lot of weight!

#483 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jun 28, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Here is the thing though right?

People will say Jalen Green dominated in the g-league...but he didn't. He wasn't even a top 5 scorer in the league. He was 19 in scoring. Who was first? KPJ was first.

KPJ is not much older than Green...this is to say, how has KPJs scoring translated to the NBA as #1 in the G? Pretty well right? Has it translated so well that it's made him some top scorer in the NBA? No, but it makes him nice.

So I guess I'm not buying the whole idea that everything Green does in the G will translate to the league exactly.

As for Mobley, well, it's been said that he's a sefless player. I don't see that as a knock, that's a pro to me. Harden's old coach used to say the same thing about him that they would have to tell him to be aggressive. That he didn't have amazing games every night is no surprise to me, that's natural, if he did then he would have averaged 20ppg.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Capela has been pretty durable while thicker players like Greg Oden and Andrew Bynum were not. So I don't know if thin stature always equates injuries, but you just never know until they get in the league to see how their games will translate.

If Mobley's skill level translates then that might save him the pounding in the paint his first couple seasons, and you can play him alongside Wood, maybe Olynyk (who I think would be a great complement to him), and maybe some tougher perimeter players like Tate who can help in the paint.

I think if we are taking Mobley I just think that Olynyk getting resigned would be such a huge asset for Mobley's development. All three bigs in that rotation have skills that really complement each other, and Mobley doesn't really have to do a ton right away, but there are so many ways for him to be active in those lineups where he might be asked to do too little, or too much on other rebuilding teams where they just throw a guy like that in there against guys like Jokic, Gobert, and Embiid every night.

HTXSportsAddict and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Like I said , I'm NOT all in on Green. I could be convinced to go with Suggs .... or Jalen Johnson If he didn't have the off court issues he'd be much higher in the conversation. (after a trade back).

I just don't buy that Mobley will ever be good enough offensively to justify the draft slot. He'll never be a second option on a good team. He'll be Clint Capela .... rim runner , lob catcher , put backs and not much more .... minus the 14 boards a game.

Denovo and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well I can't argue your opinions on the matter, I just don't see why Mobley couldn't dominate on offense. He's fluid, has a nice touch, and doesn't have a broken shot...oh and can actually put the ball on the floor and is a great passer.

I really don't get the Gobert and Capela comparison's, he's coming in with more of an offensive skillset than those two ever did. Capela came in raw as possible too on that side of the ball.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao had literally the thickest legs in the NBA. His lower body was nearly twice as large as Shaq's. Rocket Man Deez nuts.

Drift Monkey and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

Is this what we're doing. Listing players who've shown brightness but never reached full potential because famous injuries?

Guards:

Derek Rose #1
    Penny Hardaway #3
    Jay Williams #2
    Shaun Livingston #4
    Brandon Roy #6 draft pick

[​IMG]

#489 TimDuncanDonaut, Jun 28, 2021
  10. Rocket_Man_2.0

And Yao's legs and feet still couldn't handle all the upper body weight he gained! What's going to happen with Mobley when he gains weight?...SNAP.

#490 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jun 28, 2021
  11. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

I watched this and came away much more impressed by Wiseman actually. Honestly don't think Mobley is worth the 2nd pick in this draft if we have to bet so strongly on potential and he looks like he barely gained any weight since this video which was a few years ago. He's going to get dominated for at least the first few years he's in the league and also looks like an injury waiting to happen.

Denovo and saleem like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao never had extreme upper body weight. He was all lower body all the time.

What happened to Marcus Camby's legs? How about KG? How about Bill Russel?

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Capela comparisons , at least from me are based upon his shooting and nothing more. (I haven't compared him to Gobert)
    Yes , he's a better ball handler than those guys but you aren't going to put the ball in his hands and say go to work ... unless he improves his shooting dramatically. If he doesn't make that dramatic improvement , he is what those guys are on the offensive end - rim runners , pick and roll , lobs and put backs.

I don't see the "has a nice touch" ..... Everyone has a nice touch on highlight video's but if you watch the game , he clanks quite a few and there's no touch on the free throw. He's laying bricks.
    there's video of him missing multiple 4-6 footers on the baseline in practice with no one defending him .... Someone here made the comment that his handlers shouldn't have let that video get out .... It could cost him money.

I will say this - If the Rockets draft Mobley , I hope I'm wrong and he's a unicorn like Durant / Giannis.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Remember when Clint Capela and Giannis snapped in half after they added weight in the NBA?

It's something that happens to every player over 6'9 so we need to build a team of nothing but 6'6 players.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is no comparison, Mobley comes into the league as a better shooter than Capela could ever hope to be....hell Mobley was a better shooter in high school than Capela could ever hope to be.

So yeah, if that's your comparison, it's a REALLY bad one.

HTXSportsAddict and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  16. Rocket_Man_2.0

Yao gained too much weight and that's what shortened his career. With Mobley it's going to be worse because his legs are skinnier. Too much risk. If Mobley is going to successfully defend NBA centers and PFs...he's going to have to bulk up...and if he bulks up, that increases his injury risk. I'd pass. A part of building a winning team...is building a team that stays healthy.

#496 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jun 28, 2021
    BossHogg713 likes this.
  17. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yao had the weight in his legs/core.... It was China's insistence on playing ball year round....no rest... That's what killed his career and at least one title.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He would have played another 2 years without being called up to the NT, but no big international player has refused NT so far.

Now you play 66 to 72 games due to Covid. In the past you used to play 82 games with much more travelling.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bosh's blood clot condition is a lot worse IMO. Anything near heart and lung.

20. Rocket_Man_2.0

If Mobley gains weight...his chicken legs won't be able to handle...the long season NBA grind.