1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought you were kidding.

There are, of course, many many busts, for every great player...

Yet.....

Big E
    Moses
    Ralph
    Dream
    Yao
    CC
    Mobley

#401 Plowman, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  2. DCSLaw99

DCSLaw99 Member

I believe he taught Lebron and Kobe

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Guys who can score and create can also be had later in the draft as well. Lets not pretend Tre Mann and Jalen Johnson dont exist.

HTXSportsAddict, D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Bro what do you mean? LeBron, KD, Jokic, Kyrie, Curry, Harden, AD, and Dame all are considered top 10 guys and all are sitting at home on the couch too right now. You, me, and this entire board would be ecstatic with any of these guys that I just named. We would be thrilled if we grabbed Beal or LaVine lol. I'm not understanding the logic here. Some years the best players simply don't win. But you would rather be a franchise that has one of these tops guys than a franchise that doesn't.

5. iXnal

iXnal Member

chill, man.
    practice being practice, on-court highlight being just highlight.

You saw those moves might be lackadaisical, but it is normal as it should be. The clips didn't show much warm-ups like some back & forth running etc... Those preparation are supposed to get his muscle both being prepared and also being tired, then the shooting practice needs mechanical repetition to build the muscle memories, and those process are supposed to proceeded under a exhausted states because it's mean to be more closer to real match situation. Considering the reality that Mobley still lacking upper body strength, so it won't bother me that much. : )

6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

But the problem is you are still drafting for fit. None of the guards we have on this team are all-star calibur players (not even KPJ yet). If you guys were telling me that you believe Mobley is a transcendent player, first or second best player in this draft, is better than Green is as a player today then I might buy in. But the argument people are making for Mobley over Green is rudimentary at best. I'm sure some of the same thoughts that people have on this board about taking Mobley over Green because of what he MIGHT become are some of the same thoughts Portland had when they took Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan and look how that turned out. Portland went for fit and missed out on the greatest player ever. And their premise is more understandable because they already had Drexler, but I bet my last dollar that if Portland could redo that 84 draft they would have not selected Bowie #2. There is no Clyde Drexler on this team. Also Green is a 19 year old kid and did a phenomenal job in the G-League. Very few kids that take the G-League route as opposed to college are going to lead the G-League in scoring so we can agree to disagree on that thought too.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The arguement is that Mobley is the better prospect AND he's a player at a position of need, you don't draft the inferior prospect just to say you didn't draft a position of need.

When it comes to Green all of the talk is what he might one day become, not what he currently is....a guy with a lackluster performance in the G League who got played off the court by Rockets players who weren't yet ready for the NBA at the time

8. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Bobby I like you but I simply disagree with you on the Mobley over Green debate. However you want to slice it KPJ was still a starting NBA calibur player with immense upside that could very well be an all-star some day. His talent did not go away simply because the Rockets put him on a leash and made him play for the RGV. KPJ is very very talented, so to me that's not a fair assessment to say that Green struggled against KPJ. KPJ would bust a lot of NBA all-star players ass let alone a 19 year old kid straight out of HS. Mobley does seem like an interesting prospect, I'm not a Mobley hater by any means. If the Rockets drafted Evan I would trust their evaluation and just simply sit back and watch his development. I just see a lot more red flags with Mobley vs Green at the next level.

9. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I keep seeing these two names mentioned. Like at least 5 times in this thread. But can someone tell me how much did Dream’s tutoring contribute to their success?

Kobe and LeBron happen to be two of the GOATs in NBA history. They have/had great work ethic and self discipline. They’ll improve themselves with or without a tutor. I have no doubt Dream might have sped up the process. I’m just not sure if it’s a big factor of how they became who they were.

Case in point: Harden is the same type of player. He seems to add a new move to his repertoire pretty much every offseason. Who is his tutor? Whoever that is, I’m sure he’d earn big bucks if he were to open a basket ball academy. (/sarcasm)

More importantly, center position has greatly evolved over the years. In today’s NBA, being able to shoot from distance is more important than post moves.

Nothing against Dream and his big men camp. I just feel people have blind faith in Dream’s tutoring. Some other poster said it better: he’s not gonna turn turd into gold.

#409 duluth111222, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
  10. Rockets4Life13

Im sorry but this is the biggest BS ever.
    To say that Jalen Greens performance against way better competition was in any way inferior than Evan Mobleys is laughable.

and the funniest thing ever is that Mobley is ALL talk about what he COULD become. Because what he is right now is a project.

all of you Mobley guys act like he is the only guy that could improve upon his weaknesses while the weaknesses of other players will always stay weaknesses.

17 points on 61% TS against almost/ex NBA players is lackluster for a 19 year old. LOL.

SkareKrow and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, im not trying to overemphasize some random workout clip, one way or the other.

That said, at this point, that's a type of lackadaisical/misses you actually don't see that much on these types of videos. Someone on his marketing team or whatever did a poor job letting that one get out...

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Hopefully talent that helps us win games.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yep.

Bigs have become the offensive linemen of Basketball. Their impact is actually monumental but it isn't flashy and it isn't exciting, so people tend to ignore it.

Even as Ayton dominates another series it just gets pushed to the side as "CP3 and Booker are doing everything!" Even as CP3 missed most of the first series and 3 games of the current series.

I feel like, not everyone, but definitely some people...and some have quite plainly said it, they are more interested in what is fun to watch than what might help the team win the long run.

Mobley picking up a switch on a perimeter player and having that player pass the ball off isn't very exciting. Mobley cutting off a driving lane isn't exciting either but it really is just as important.

14. iXnal

iXnal Member

nah, I don't see that a problem.
    before the final draft, there always are joint practice camps some what that coaches and scouts can give a watch personally in a close distance. So there's no need to cover it up deliberately. Anyway, it's the franchise front office making that decisions not fans, right ;)

15. hakeemthagreat

There is a reason Jalen Green is a projected top 5 player and they're not. The Rockets need the best player available which is Green

16. hakeemthagreat

Defense & rebounding can be had later in the draft or via trade. Finding a shot creator & 1st option scorer is invaluable in today's game. The current teams in the playoffs all have elite shotmakers outside of Milwaukee. Stop living in 2001 and understand the league has shifted to elite guard play not post big anymore

17. hakeemthagreat

Exactly. Having a possible elite shot creator is something you cant pass up. Bigmen are always one knee injury from Greg Oden

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Armoni Brooks averaged the same playing against the stellar competition that is the G League.

KMJ managed to average over 17 points per game against that same amazing competition while being a considerably better defender. KMJ even managed a better offensive rating at barely 20 years old in the actual NBA than Green did in the G League.

That's why it's hard for me to buy this offense only player being the next coming of MJ. Could he end up getting a lot better? Of course, but he's still a raw project player....he'd have been like the 3rd best player on the RGV Vipers last season.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I honestly think by year 2 Mobley will begin to look really good. Green should be good year one.

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

KPJ/Green is a top 3 backcourt within a few years

Trae & Booker are in the conference finals while Embiid & Jokic are sitting at home. You need guards to win

We already have Wood so why waste the #2 pick on another big when we could possibly secure a top 3 backcourt for the next decade

Pick Green and check the backcourt off the rebuild list. Wood gives us a couple years to work on securing a reliable big man

If KPJ/Green play well together I promise we can land a top 10 center in free agency

BossHogg713 likes this.