1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

for the most part the defensive guys seem to translate better … even if they’re not mega game changers. JJJr, Carter, Allen, Turner, etc.

It’s possible it’s partly because of a center can’t play defense and struggles to adjust offensively at first they’re just not going to get any time. Whereas if they’re struggling to adjust offensively but aren’t a sieve defensively… teams typically have other ways to score so at least the player can get some PT and just be a cleanup, outback, lob guy until the rest of the game catches up.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. photojoe

photojoe Member

The reason Ayton was a win for Phoenix, drafting him over both Doncic and Young, is that Phoenix had Booker and was able to get CP3, who has outperformed what people thought he had left.

How confident are we that KPJ could become something like that?

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hey... I'm a clutch fan

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 and Roc Paint like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Okay bro.

5. JayZ750

yeah until a few months ago Ayton was a decent center who didn’t f up (well outside that whole steroid thing last ear…) and knew his role.

now he’s that amplified because he’s in the exact right situation. Two A+ lead guards and a bunch of super solid role guys.

Without a doubt if they draft Mobley he won’t be maximized unless they do a lot of work around him.

I’m actually very high on KPJ … but yeah they need a lot more obviously.

6. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I don’t understand comparing 3PA and FT% of a center and point guard…what you would expect from a player for those two positions is apples and oranges.

Christian Wood was 63% on FTs last year. Mobley is basically where you want him to be, ideally he can improve from a 70% FT shooter to a 75% FT shooter, maybe a bit more. It isn’t like that is a weakness. Nor is hitting 31% from 3 as a college center - it clearly shows there is something to work with in terms of extending his range.

D-rock likes this.
  7. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I would rather have Ayton than Young, who despite the flashiness, is a below league average shooter. I don’t see a Luka in this draft, especially not after Cade.

8. Salvy

Salvy Member

If you want to have an all star big time scorer that will eventually end up in LA you pick Green, if you want a cornerstone and to contend for years to come you pick Mobley.

9. JayZ750

I’m not sure what’s that confusing? If a player is going to be taking any volume of threes … you want him to do so efficiently. Regardless of position.

being able to shoot adequately enough to stretch the floor as a big is nice…. Which is exactly what i noted… that at least he can be adequate.

ft% is used as a gauge for trying to figure out if here is something to build on when looking at prospects.

it’s not an exact science. WRT to Wood it’s noteworthy that he was an 80% and 74% ft shooter in college despite being basically bad at three point shooting. The idea there was he ad a stroke just needed to develop into a 3 pt shot.

but again it’s not an exact science. We’re just trying to determine what to make of Mobleys 30% from three. Can it get better?

10. JayZ750

I don’t get this he’ll go to LA thing. The nba is setup so that he team can have control for a long time. AD was on the Pelicans 7 years.

if he’s an all star and they’re failing to build a championship contender around him by year 6 then that’s what happens… players get antsy and leave.

I guarantee you if Mobley is the unicorn people want yet by year 6/7 they are losing in the first round or not making the playoffs, he or his team will be pushing for change.

groovemachine likes this.
  11. PhiSlammaJamma

Also, important to note is that their is a correlation between height and intelligence, with taller men having more intelligence. So there's that. Don't sell him short.

12. Salvy

Salvy Member

I want Green, I think he will be better than Cade..... But I don't want rockstars, rockstars end up in California, look at the star power of The Lakers, Clippers, Golden State.... The biggest names in the league end up there someway or another. Green has the tools to become a mega star, It will be really fun until its not. If Stone feels like we can get a chip within 3-5 years then yeah bring him on, Mobley just strikes me as a player who will most likely develop slower and last longer.

13. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m putting my money where my mouth is

bumbum09 likes this.
  14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don’t have a filter

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

:D

#375 J.R., Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I was legit excited to add him to our squad, it was a shame he went down quickly with an injury, he was a prolific player in the PnR, lobs, blocking shots, good rebounder etc. Could have had a similar effect that McGee had for the Warriors at times.

D-rock likes this.
  17. JayZ750

I want to win championship(s). In the nba you need rockstars to do that. That’s what it comes down to.

18. JayZ750

To be 100% clear to any who have read my posts…

I wound be ECSTATIC if the Rockets ended up with Mobley. My preference is Green slightly but I’d root like heck for Mobley and do indeed see generational potential.

my concerns are some of the things you see in the below video when he’s just doing post shooting drills. There’s not quick twitch speed here, it looks lackadaisical, and he misses a bunch of gimmes.

but in games he looks fantastic. No denying it. His athleticism shoots up seemingly. His hands seem very impressive… maybe because of his length. Throw it up he gets it. Throw bounce pass he gets it. He can dribble. Etc.

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Rockstars playing for our team.... Mobley can be that..

20. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member