1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2021 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Dec 7, 2020.

1. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Looking at the last few years of Fangraphs top 100 prospects lists, there's not a ton of catchers in the top 30-40, much less top 10. I don't see Lee ever getting that Correa/Bregman level top 10 prospect hype. In terms of catchers that's reserved for the pedigree guys like Adley Ruschman (top overall pick) and Joey Bart (2nd overall pick). Those guys have 60 present/70 future defensive grades, which makes sense. An elite catching catching prospect is an elite defender. Korey Lee has a 40 present/50future defensive grade. Ruschman and Bart also have a 60 grades elsewhere (power).

I think Korey Lee's grades might uptick a little, like hitting tool going from 30/45 to 40-45/50-55, but I don't expect anything to uptick to a 60 grade. He's showing his present skills are better than expected; his future grade might not change that much.

If I had to guess, his FV score will uptick from 45 to 50 which will put him firmly on the top 100 list and as high as upper 40's. That's a top catching prospect. Not an elite prospect but c'mon.

Snake Diggit, awc713 and No Worries like this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

mikol13, vince and King1 like this.
  3. vince

vince Member

He's turning heads that's for sure. Not too often you get a monster offensive potential out of the catcher position. And Korey Lee is tearing up the minor as we watch. It could be he's riding a hot streak, but isn't baseball primarily about hot streaks and adjustment! Obviously he's capable of countering the adjustment they are throwing at him.....

Astros Minor league system is keeping us focused on our own reinforcement in house!

mikol13 likes this.
  4. The Drake

The Drake Member

Would it be realistic to have Korey Lee in the Stubbs role in 2022, then (assuming all goes well) taking over as a starter in 2023?

5. awc713

awc713 Member

i would think that’s the plan with Machete/Castro inked for next year and Stubbs will be a DFA candidate.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is what I expect.

Buck Turgidson and The Drake like this.
  7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Joe Perez hit a three-run homer for Asheville, his 8th of the season.

8. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yea, he also had a double and 4 RBIs for the game

No Worries likes this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Norel Gonzalez just keeps hitting

5-5, HR, 2 2B, 7 RBI

For the season:

.313 AVG, .397 OBP, .999 OPS, 9 HR, and he is striking out less than 20% of the time

Francis Martes went 2 IP, 1 BB, 3 K, 0 H, 0 R

By far his best outing.... he was being shelled in his earlier outings

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Gonzalez needs to be in AAA.

Would be great if Martes showed stuff similar to when he was one of the top 5 pitching prospects in all of baseball.

11. Buck Turgidson

Don't know if anybody else helped you out, haven't read the thread, I've been out camping and swimming and bbqing since Tuesday, but the best I've found is the team twitter account, and any local journalists who follow the team and tweet about them. That was my go-to in Round Rock at least. Hope you and your dad had a great time.

Nook and RunninRaven like this.
  12. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Looks like he will be cool with the Crawford Boxes.

14. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

That was an absolute BOMB.

The left fielder didn’t even move

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

You could take out the Crawford Boxes and make the railroad track the yellow line on that bomb and it is still gone....

Meyers having another good night and only in the 6th inning

3-3, 2B, 1 RBI

vince, mikol13, Astrofan59 and 3 others like this.
  16. vince

vince Member

I'm still hopeful that Francis Mates puts it all together. I remember watching him pitch, and I liked his delivery and the way the ball came out of his hands. I know he got hit with the performance enhancing drugs, and the injuries, and some sheer bad luck. He's not even an after thought for many Astros fans.

Heck even I had to verify he was still in the system a few month ago.

But if he puts it all together, which I still think he can, there is hope he sticks in the Majors.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  17. vince

vince Member

I think Straw saved the hairs on his little chin-chin ML Season with his June performance (and I have to hand it to Straw, his OPS is up to .340 or soooo, not BAD at all "quite impressive"!!). If he'd of continued in La-La land, we could be seeing Meyers at the Major League level and Straw back at AAA. But Straw is most definitely looking like a legit ML baseball player of consequence - major props for him!

However I too am very intrigued by Myers, and what he could do at the ML level... Myers is smoking the minor's right now. We Baseball fans know that having a lot of depth in the Minor's is a GOOD THING to have, it's never a problem -- at least, not in the short term. Of course you don't want to keep a ML level player in Minor league jail just to maximize a pie in the sky value, but short term, great problem to have.

HTXSportsAddict and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Shay Whitcomb hit his 7th homer of the season today for Fayetteville.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  19. The Drake

The Drake Member

Would it make sense to swap McCormick for Meyers for a bit? I feel like Chas needs to work on making contact and Meyers is red hot; may as well see what he can do against MLB pitching.

20. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yes... but that would require moving Meyers to the 40 man roster and that is a problem right now. Click has to start making decisions and either trade or cut guys like Taylor Jones, Ralph Garza Jr, Joe Smith, and Nivaldo Rodriguez. Josh James, Austin Pruitt, and Pedro Baez are all on the 60 day IL. Each one will require a 40 man roster spot when they are ready to play so some guys have to go.