1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Let me tell you back in the day, my first summer job was selling Mobley shorts.

It was hot, thankless work. Every day, knocking on doors, saying, "Good Afternoon sir, would youl like to help kids say no to drugs by buying a pair of these fine mesh shorts?"

That's about when the door would slam in my face, and i would dread going back to the van. Because she would be there, and she would be pissed.

People remember Miss America 1959 as a real sweetheart, or as loving wife to our Beloved Gary Collins. She was not.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

It does bring up the point though that we need to give him a young mentor he can bang with. if nothing else, to understand he can be pushed around if he doesn't do something about it. I would ask Ante to mentor him. He's the kind of guy who would do it. And then get someone on the team to bang with every day.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  5. liveguy

liveguy Member

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Based on the fact that he is the consensus no 2 pick in a loaded draft. It's not just about potential how come Poku didn't go top 4 last year? Dude had a ton of potential he should've been drafted after Wiseman if you are just talking about potential. What about Nicholas Claxton or Jaxson Hayes or Christian Wood? None of those guys were rated top 3 in their draft class even if they have the same potential as Mobley. The floor for Mobley is low but then again I don't see it as any different from Suggs who can turn out to be Maxey/MCW 2.0 or Green who can be JR Smith 2.0. All 3 of them can flame out depending on how unlucky they are with injuries or how immature they are. Outside of Cade nobody in this draft gonna come in and instantly contribute all 3 of the rest of the top 4 have some chance of risk and holes in their game.

How many lanky pogo stick big men are rated highly enough to go top 3 in majority of mock drafts? Unless the draft is ridiculously bad like Harden's draft class project big men with high bust potential are usually slotted outside top 3. That's how you know Mobley's bust rate is lower than the average boom/bust big man he is seen as closer to AD than Tacko Fall.

Suggs is NOT more 2 way than Mobley lol he has a suspect J and scored less pts than Mobley in college. I dunno how much of a defensive threat Suggs will be either he is only 6'4 which I guess is big for a pg but pretty small vs wings. Both Suggs and Green have some questions and need development just like Mobley you aren't gonna put them in and they're gonna be instant allstars. Green didn't play any defense in Ignite and had some inefficient scoring nights whereas Suggs had a bad J and his 14 pts in college is gonna be like 8 pts in the NBA. All that leadership stuff in college doesn't always translate in the NBA if you aren't a superstar rookie cuz all the role players in the NBA were previous college stars. You see "leadership studs" like Austin Rivers and JR Reddick lose their leadership skill over time simply because they aren't good enough to be alphas on the squad.

Mobley is def the biggest project among the top 4 but again he is in the top 4 meaning him being a project is only relative compared to other players in the top 4. He is a lot more polished in general especially compared to other big man in the draft.

For me Mobley is 1A while Green is 1B, I can go either way but I prefer Mobley. Suggs oth is like option 5 lol he shouldn't even be in the conversation it should ust be Mobley, Green or Cade if somehow Pistons derp it up.

#306 roslolian, Jun 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    HTXSportsAddict, D-rock and jiggyfly like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

That's some specious reasoning. Being consensus #2 seems more like a curse than a blessing based on history. Also we don't know if it's an actual loaded draft until at a year later.

Too much of a gamble.

Nah. Green is 1A and you can flip a coin on Mobley and Suggs for me.

Mobley's offense is overrated based off what they ran at USC and there's too much of a chance he won't live up to the defense (his calling card). Offense is just much easier to translate to the NBA.

8. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Mobley is the pic with the way the Rockets are constructing their team. In three years you will see Mobley be a monster in the paint

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

*Currently*
    197 votes
    78.2% for Mobley
    21.8% for Towns

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I would take both AD and Embid over Drexler, thats for how they can control the game more than offensively.

Why would we not compare him to AD and Garrett pre draft?

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is the prize in this draft, every lottery team is praying he falls to them.

Even teams with young 5's on their roster.

Cavs are willing to trade JA if Mobley falls to them.

Roc Paint and groovemachine like this.
  12. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Well this makes me want to draft Hakeem, he sounds even better than Mobley. Will he be there at #2?

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  13. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

Koby Bryant said so.....

D-rock likes this.
  14. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I really like Mobley and Green, and have been pretty torn but leaning Mobley. Yes, Mobley could be a bust, but so could Green.

If this video is an accurate representation of the ‘Evan Mobley: Not That Good…?’ corner, it honestly makes me like him even more. He is moving well, and I see very little bad decision making. Everyone misses shots, I don’t see him taking many bad looks or showing bad form. The charges to me look like little guys he got off balance simply falling down in front of him and him getting a rough call. He shot ~70% on FTs as a big man, what is the point of starting with four misses from the line? If this is his worst, sign me up.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you paste KD's head onto Mobley's body.

Rudyc281 and Plowman like this.
  16. Roc Paint

I would much rather have Hakeem’s head

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

It seems Clutch fans are evenly divided between Mobley or Green. Whoever we pick, I hope that dude has the fire in the belly to want to be great by continuously working on his craft.

If I were a betting man, giving the Rockets tradition of great big men, Mobley will be the choice.

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  18. Roc Paint

I for one would not take that bet ;)

saleem likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

20. Roc Paint

Too bad we couldn’t put his butt at the Fonde rec center with Hakeem and Moses Malone back in the day

saleem and D-rock like this.