1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I really like his game don’t know why he isn’t rated higher.

arabrocket likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

What a great bro!

https://www.si.com/college/usc/bask...eveals-why-nba-teams-should-draft-evan-mobley

"[He's] great defensively. Can guard just about all five positions. Freak athletically," Isaiah said of brother Evan. "Guy has ball skills, working on them. Trying to get bigger and stronger, but a smart defender so if a guy is bigger than him he can still guard. Really talented. Hard-working. He should do well in the league."

Similarly, Mobley told analyst Andy Katz, "[Evan] is an excellent player. I believe he can help any team in the league that takes him. His potential is tremendous, he is a great person both on and off the floor. They will get a responsible young man, who is only striving for greatness."

D-rock likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

How has Jerome Robinson worked out? If you wanna talk high scorers who bust in the NBA there's a lot more 6'5 guards who sucked than unicorn prospects who sucked...

As for WCS physically he was everything he was billed to be and in the first couple of years he did ok enough Sac was ok trading Cousins. The problem was his mental maturity and lack of discipline and hard work. Thats not something you can really predict we dont know how fame and fortune changes people look at Kyle Kuzma and Tyler Herro.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Giannis gained 50 lbs of muscle supposedly over 4 seasons. But the truth is that muscle mass was gained between his 3rd and 4th season.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Hu5xB9SDLbjjDzgj7

Of course, you can read a book or 2 as well.

Per George Karl's book:

"I’m talking about performance-enhancing drugs—like steroids, human growth hormone, and so on. It’s obvious some of our players are doping. How are some guys getting older—yet thinner and fitter? How are they recovering from injuries so fast? Why the hell are they going to Germany in the offseason? I doubt it’s for the sauerkraut."

"More likely it’s for the newest, hard-to-detect blood boosters and PEDs they have in Europe. Unfortunately, drug testing always seems to be a couple steps behind drug hiding. Lance Armstrong never failed a drug test."

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Just silly. So quiet guys Tim Duncan and Kwai Leonard would just be destroyed if a guy like Dramond got in their face.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you could be 5x wrong?

WCS is a terrible comp for Mobley.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Mobley's game is very very similar to JJJ's game IMO. Mobley seems to be the better passer vs JJJ seems to be the better shooter, but very similar games. I do not want JJJ with the #2 pick in this year's draft...

rhee likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Timme is returning to Gonzaga

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Those 2 pics are not that different to me, the chest is bigger but those arms are not really bigger IMO.

Gaining 50 pounds on that frame is not crazy and does not mean PED use.

Bo6 likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you just ignore what Mobley does defensively?

Who do you think Green comps as?

11. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

You clearly did not watch the videos lol. Defensively JJJ and Mobley are almost the exact same player. JJJ like Mobley was someone said to be able to guard 1-5 in the NBA. Please watch both videos bro for context.

12. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I have 1.Green/Cunningham, 2.Mobley, 3.Suggs in that order. Green reminds me of a more NBA ready Zach LaVine/Bradley Beal.

13. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

For a guy who could be the next Drexler, yes.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

That left pick is from Giannis 3rd season, not his rookie season.

See what Giannis really looked like when he was drafted.

FYI - Giannis was my pet cat in that draft. Same draft that Rockets (and most of NBA) missed out on Kawhi and Jokic.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see Mobley's floor being a better version of JJJ.

One major thing that has held Jaren Jackson Jr back is that he can't stay out of foul trouble in the NBA any more than he could stay out of foul trouble in college, he averages more than 5 fouls per 36 in the NBA just like he did in college.

When it comes to Mobley, he averaged 2 fouls per 40 minutes and he played more minutes than JJJ, Mobley does what he does on defense without fouling, that's what makes it so impressive. His defensive instincts are just off the charts, something that cannot be taught.

Now that said, Mobley almost certainly won't be the 3 point threat JJJ is, but he'll be better at literally everything else AND he'll be able to stay on the court and out of foul trouble. If Mobley reaches his potential, he could have a near Olajuwon caliber defensive presence, and that's not something I say lightly. Being able to do what Mobley does defensively, without fouling, is the most impressive thing I've seen among every prospect in this class.

iXnal, D-rock and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  16. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

I respect your thoughts bro. The thing with Hakeem though is Olajuwon was stronger, 35 pounds more heavier at 250 pounds, and faster than Mobley is now when he was drafted. Hakeem was an absolute freak physically, I don't think Mobley stands a chance in hell of ever being anything close to Hakeem defensively. The thing with Mobley is going to be not only adding muscle to his thin frame but also maintaining his speed in the process. Can he do those things? Maybe but there are a lot unknowns with Mobley as there are with all of these guys. For me I few Green=Cunningham as equal prospects that are low to medium risk. Of course anything can happen with any of these guys ("knock on wood" injuries, off the court issues, motivational issues, hard time adapting to the NBA game speed, etc). But I see Mobley as more of a higher risk reward player. I would much rather draft a big next year when I have a better idea of what C Wood's future will be with us and next year's draft is supposedly deep in big men. That's my story and I'm sticking in to it lol.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I won't complain one way or the other. I like Green, I like Mobley.

I think Green has a lot of upside as a scorer and I like his mentality. The only reason I might lean a little bit towards Mobley is that finding an elite defensive big is a little bit more difficult than finding a 6'6 guy who can score.

I don't think there's any pick in this draft that is completely without risk......but I'm just happy the tank worked and we got to keep our pick.

D-rock and HTXSportsAddict like this.
  18. Caesar

Caesar Member

https://www.nbadraft.net/situational-analysis-evan-mobley/
    NBA-Specific Skills

Chris Bosh has been making the rounds on the podcast circuit lately to promote his new book, “Letters to a Young Athlete.” His interviews, however, have inadvertently shaded my pre-draft evaluations of Evan Mobley.

Bosh is as candid and thoughtful as any recently retired player. He openly discusses the way the game has shifted in recent years and how it would alter his approach.

Beyond the superficial similarities (tall, extremely long, lean, graceful, exceptional touch), Mobley has the unique opportunity to thrive in an NBA that has shifted in his direction, while giving us a glimpse at what a young, bouncy Bosh might have done in a pace-and-space game, especially defensively.

Mobley’s full-body coordination stands out above all else. Scouts like to say “he moves like a guard” when a big man can run the floor well, but in Mobley’s case, he really does move like a guard – changing directions, slithering into open spaces, reacting to an opposing screen.

He isn’t as bulky as the traditional eraser at the rim, but Mobley’s timing and athleticism make him an elite rim protector (nearly 3 blocks per game) and he often turns those rejections into transition opportunities. And unlike typical rim protectors, he is more than quick enough to hold his own on the perimeter and guard well beyond the 3-point line. That kind of versatility will show its true value should Mobley find himself on a title contender playing late into the playoffs.

Mobley’s most optimistic developmental track puts him in position to be a game-changing two-way force for a team with title aspirations.

On a scale from 1-10, Mobley’s two-way potential rates at a 9.

Fatal Flaws

For all the natural ability Mobley possesses, it’s easy to find tape of him drifting through serious chunks of action.

He is quite thin, and he will likely remain thin for much of his career – particularly when compared to the Joel Embiid/Nikola Jokic bruisers he will be asked to defend. While Mobley will be an A-level help-and-react defender, questions surround his ability to hang in the post against the league’s brutes. Sure, nobody hangs in against Embiid or Jokic – they’re MVP-caliber players for a reason – but even a level below features maulers like Jusuf Nurkic and Jonas Valanciunas.

Offensively, he has access to the full toolkit, but he often stays within the realm of short jump hooks and dunks. We have yet to see Mobley extend his jumper beyond the 3-point line with any kind of consistency (12-40 as a freshman at USC). If that part of his game comes around, Mobley becomes an All-NBA kind of player – protect the rim on one end, stretch the defense on the other.

Mobley has a very high floor, due to his incredible length and speed, but his ceiling will be determined entirely by his work ethic. How bad does he want it?

On a scale from 1 (not a concern) to 10 (serious hindrance), Mobley’s ability to put it all together for entire games is at an 8.

Pre-NBA Setting

Like many top-5 projected draft picks, Mobley’s exceptional talent was clear the instant he stepped on the floor as a high schooler.

Evan and his brother, Isaiah, dominated the competition in California, with Evan winning the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year award twice. Only Jrue Holiday has ever pulled that off before. Once college coaches got a glimpse of him, the accolades started rolling in – all the stars from the recruiting services, all the recruiting letters from the blue-blood programs, all the hype.

Mobley chose USC and became the team’s best player right away. Even a drifting, occasionally detached Mobley was better than anyone else’s A-game. Mobley won every possible Pac-12 award (Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year, Freshman of the Year), while earning second team All-America honors.

By all accounts, Mobley – an honor-roll student in high school – is a sharp, coachable kid with a solid attitude and should fit in seamlessly in any NBA locker room.

On a scale from 1-10, Mobley’s pre-NBA career rates at a 9.5.

Ideal NBA Ecosystem

Mobley will benefit a great deal if he can find himself a team with a veteran big man and a dialed-in coaching staff who can bring out the best parts of his game.

If Mobley spends the bulk of his rookie contract in a losing situation, he could pick up a lot of bad habits instead of developing into a more well-rounded basketball weapon.

While Mobley will certainly have some backers within the Detroit Pistons, it is much more likely that he will land with the Houston Rockets. After the disastrous James Harden situation, Mobley will likely serve as the first key piece in this squad’s from-the-ground-up rebuild. Can he play alongside Christian Wood – or, more accurately, can Wood play a complementary role alongside Mobley? Can they acquire a high-level playmaker who can help make Mobley’s life easier? Will Houston lottery representative Hakeem Olajuwon take Mobley under his wing? Does Mobley have a working knowledge of the Swishahouse catalogue? Only time will tell.

On a scale from 1-10, Mobley’s situational independence rates at a 7. Any team would be lucky to have him, but Mobley needs a bit more situational stability to realize his full potential. Houston is at least a year or two away from that kind of stability.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

So we are back to comparing him AD and Garnett.

How could you pass up on the next MJ in Green!?!?!

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ive seen him in a mock before and he was a mid to late 2nd pick if I remember correctly.

ApacheWarrior likes this.