1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I am not really disgreeing with you. I was simply pointing out Bosh was much more polished offensively, but that was a different era entirely.

The point is, if people expect Mobley to develop into a Jokic level difference maker, they will likely be disappointed. In today's league, unless you are really skilled in the lowpost, or passing like Embiid or Jokic, you are never going to be a No.1 or even No. 2 option on offense as a center.

However, if you draft Mobley hoping he would be a defensive force, and maybe be a 3rd option on a contending team doing the dirty work, and get most of his points off lobs, put backs, and occasional dribble drive/post moves, then it would all work out.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley has the intelligence and physical tools to build an NBA defense around. His timing on blocks is impeccable, he can move his feet in space, and his rotations are on point. He can play alongside another big man or be the primary rim protector. The upside for Mobley's defense is limitless, and it should be no surprise when he's selected to multiple All-NBA Defensive teams.

3. dmoneybangbang

A lot of lanky bigs? Like JJ Jr... Johnathon Issacs... to name recent lanky big men who need some seasoning and weight.

And AD was the unquestioned #1 pick all year. I'm not saying Mobley can't be like Chris Bosh.... AD.... Kevin Garnett.... it's just less likely Mobley is going to be the type of player who can anchor a team and be the #1 option.

4. dmoneybangbang

This. Comparing Mobley to players who literally anchored an offense and put up 20/10 seems like a recipe for disappointment.

5. ilias

ilias Member

I don’t see elite offensive skill in Mobley. Ok, he is not a pure rim runner like Capela, but he is nowhere near skilled bigs like Gasol, Bosh, AD, KAT. To me he looks a bit awkward and jerky when he puts the ball on the floor. I’m really not confident that being “fluid/mobile for a 7-footer” translates to an efficient inside game in the NBA. He won’t be able to get good post position until he puts some weight on. His ball-handling needs to improve if he is to cut it in the NBA, he will get the ball stripped a lot. His footwork does not scream Hakeem - better post moves than most starting centers, but no Embiid, Jokic, Sabonis. How does he ever become a great offensive player, a legitimate #2 on a good offense?

I see a bit of Jaren Jackson Jr in Mobley. JJJ plays tougher and bigger, and he has a better outside shot.

napalm06 and Htown's Finest like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Is it more likely that these other guys will do the same?

Outside of Cade, I don't see any of the other guys as a true number 1 option.

I have not done a deep dive but Mobley checks an awful lot of boxes for today's NBA.

I don't look at him like a savior but a guy that shores up a lot of weaknesses on a contending team.

I don't think you should look at this draft as "The Fix" draft.

7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who is that in today's NBA?

Name a guy on the 4 teams that are left that checks those boxes?

Name the last time a NBA champ has had that guy?

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

9. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Is Mobley your guy at number 2, assuming the Pistons draft Cunningham?

10. dmoneybangbang

I've argued elsewhere this is at least a 3 draft process.

Mobley is the high bust/highest potential. We have a lot of weakness everywhere and the #2 pick shouldn't be used to address defensive weakness but be BPA.

I see Mobley becoming a true number #1 option as less likely than Suggs. Green is the true #1 scoring option. Cade is is a point forward who can score and play some defense. I wouldn't upset if we took Mobley, but he is the biggest project and highest variance of the top4.

Denovo likes this.
  11. Rocket_Man_2.0

I don't see it...his post moves are way too slow...he will get stripped and blocked alot in the NBA. His passing is nice. But you need to be an offensive threat for it to work. The main difference I see between him and players like Embiid, Jokic, Yao, AD is their post moves are a lot faster and more polished. There offensive post skills were developed before they got drafted. I see him as a super role player.
    Not a superstar.

#251 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    fattz, King1 and ilias like this.
  12. Denovo

Denovo Member

He’s gonna struggle rebounding just like JJJ.

And JJJ was 20lbs heavier than Mobley coming out

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Cade is #1 and Mobley #2 on my list.

Jalen Green is #3.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Just wanted to point out Mobley doesnt have high bust risk. He has the highest bust risk between all 4 top picks, but in general he has low bust risk hence he is the consensus big man in the draft and the only big in the top 4. Most mocks have him the undisputed no 2 so they dont see him as your typical bust/boom big either he seems a bit more polished than usual.

Mobley may be lacking in offense, but Suggs and Green are also lacking in defense. You are right the Rox have holes everywhere so you shouldnt be fixating just on offense. Saying Mobley can't be no 1 on offense is unfair cuz Green can't be no 1 on defense either. If you look at our 4 core pieces though they are more offense oriented than defense oriented already we need more help on defense than offense. CWood is a very efficient scorer and Kmart Jr and Kpj had some decent scoring nights. However they all lack defensive presence thats where Mobley can contribute.

jiggyfly, fattz and D-rock like this.
  15. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I could be wrong, but Mobley appears shorter than the advertised 7 feet height. Also, slight and small frame. I like his skills set though.

Can somebody confirm my suspicions in regards to size?

16. dmoneybangbang

Based on what? A lanky big, needing more offense polished is pretty typical of the high risk big men. Had he he played in the G League and put up those numbers it'd be different.

He's #2 because he has the high potential, not because of his floor.

Sure.... but offense > defense. List all the #1 defensive players then compare them to all the #1 scoring options. Also Suggs is more two way than Mobley while Green is just pure scoring.

Mobley is also the biggest project out of the top 4.

Rockets4Life13 likes this.
  17. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Roc’s Paint

D-rock likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wasnt Willy Cauley Stein touted as the next "modern" big who would be able to defend the perimeter and be a lock down defender while his offensive game matured? How has that worked out?

No way in hell am I taking a big at 2 based on what he has done in the NCAA defensively. Without that ready made offensive game Mobley is the biggest risk among the top picks. I might even be convincing myself that Suggs would be a safer pick and Im not a Suggs guy by any means.

Bad comp between Cauley-Stein and Mobley?

19. fattz

fattz Member

I think we need a sure thing. Maybe trade back collecting assets and get a solid return that will produce maybe not at the franchise savior level but that is where the newly obtained assets comes into play. Wood / Tate / Vernon Maxwell / Robert Horry / Mario Elie type are not franchise player but a team full of Wood / Tate / Vernon Maxwell / Robert Horry / Mario Elle level players could win at a very high level. If a team was filled with better than average two way players at every position then opponents would have to expose their weaknesses because they can’t guard all 5 positions. What if a Wood / Tate / Vernon Maxwell /Robert Horry / Mario Elie type team ran 9 deep. Obviously with different skills and sizes but not the best but really good with high motor and heart. Watching a Rocket game would be like blue collar works picking apart yuppies. A team that is better than it’s parts. IMO, a franchise player will come to us in free agency at a reasonable price because we will have what they need. Stop chasing prospects and get some two way, high motor, emotional players that don’t quit. Trade back and collect.

20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I find it hard to pass this dude up given his defensive potential on the perimeter. Rare.