1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    NBA Free Agency opens today! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room at 4:30pm CT as we react live to moves being made by the Rockets and their competition!

NBA Free Agency - LIVE!

Let’s talk generators...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

[​IMG]

KingCheetah likes this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Thanks. That all makes sense. How much do you allocate to the non heavy stuff? Like just running your lights, normal outlets, etc?

3. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

On most (maybe all?) devices, you can see a label to show the maximum wattage a device can draw.

Generally, the power draw of things I didn't put in that list are almost negligible in the grand scheme of things. Exceptions are incandescent or halogen bulbs if you've still got them. The can be 50-100 watt each and can add up. LED bulbs are 5-10w each. Gaming desktop computers running at full tilt can be as much as 1000watt, but most computer are much much less than that. Gaming consoles and TV are about 150watt each. Generally, the power hogs are things that heat things up and cool things down. Everything else is small compared to those.

Icehouse likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

5. Xerobull

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. Xerobull

I have a $50 off $500 coupon. Check your inbox.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Nice! When I look at the most recent email, it says $699.99 if you pick it up at store versus delivery ($799.99 price).

9. Xerobull

No ****. Let me look.

Can’t find it- do you have the email title?

10. NewRoxFan

Email subject title: STARTS TODAY - Exclusive Member-Only Savings! Shop Online or at Your Local Costco! and was sent at 12:50pm

Here's a paste from the email... if you need the email forwarded to you let me know.

[​IMG]

In-Warehouse + Online
    Firman Tri-Fuel Generator

$699.99 After $200 OFF

LIMIT 10. Available for delivery at a higher price.

Xerobull likes this.
  11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Basketball lottery generators are awesome

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

If you work from home and/or have sensitive equipment you want a gen with less than 5% THD. That isn't the one...

Xerobull likes this.
  13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pulsar has a 12000 watt for $800 -$900 depending on the model. It’s dual fuel but there are 3rd party adaptors that can make it run off Nat Gas.

The basics specs for both 12000 watt models are the same but one is a slightly newer version. One good thing about them is that their THD runs relatively low at around 5% @ 50% load, however it can get into the 8% THD at higher loads but that’s still pretty solid for the price.
    I did get a UPS for the entertainment center as precaution.

Also, the pulsar is fairly efficient and has a solid run time.

14. Xerobull

I have UPSs on any electronic equipment I run. However, this is for emergencies so I am probably not going to be required to work during these times.

Andre0087 and NewRoxFan like this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Anyone know the THD% of the Predator generators at Harbor Freight?

16. Xerobull

One of the reviews on the site:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html

Good Small B/U Power Solution

I'm an old generator tech (30+ years). Have worked on/operated genny's from 800W to 1.2MW liquid & vapor fueled. I've lived off grid for 20+ years on solar/wind. So a reliable B/U power source, especially in a sub-zero MN winter, is a must for survival. Bought this on sale @ $689 + $157 2 year warranty + WI sales tax Currently have about 200 hrs on it. I own bigger noisier dual fuel gennys ranging in size from 3600W to 35Kw & warehouse 2,400 gallons of propane. Wanted something quieter. Narrowed it down to this one and the Westinghouse iGen4500DF Inverter Generator - Dual Fuel (@ $1,149 w/ 3 yr warranty). Decided to save myself $200 & go with this quieter single fuel unit. Not at all disappointed. Also the HF warranty is brainless. If it don't go vroom, return it & they give you another one, same day. No troubleshooting, no calling/arguing w/ tech/warranty support, no waiting for parts, no verifying receipts/purchase date, no sub-zero repair sessions. When it's a snowing -40F w/ no wind & solar no power day, this is important. Not running on propane is a detractor because propane stores forever, one doesn't have to tote it, & maintenance is less frequent. But it is $200 cheaper. Pro's: This thing is REALLY quiet. Freakishly quiet. A little bit louder when the spark arrestor is removed. Sips fuel, easily runs 10hrs @ ~1,000W loading. Love the twist lock plug. Display panel provides useful info. Handles inductive loads well (large 100A battery chargers, motor starting, 1200W microwave, etc.) Starts easily in cold weather (northern MN). Big enough to run house if one watches loading. Electric start Locked in 60 Hz power Low total harmonic distortion (not observable on an O-scope) even during inductive loading. Proportional engine speed based on loading which reduces noise & improves fuel economy. Con's: In tank fuel filter makes refueling a PITA and slow. Changing oil is a PITA & messy. Wish list: Dual Fuel (Propane/gasoline) Remote start (key fob or ATS port) All in all, I would buy this again @ the same price.

17. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

True enough but with the Texas electrical grid in the shape it's in we might be running them for more than just emergencies.

Xerobull likes this.
  18. NewRoxFan

Thanks... that's one of their invertor generators. They do have a 900 watt invertor model but its around $1200. I was curious about the non-invertor models like the Firman.

19. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

20. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I liked this post, then filled out a contact request with their website (Generator Supercenter). After receiving no return call, I've called their number just now - no answer ("the number you called is not working"). They may have gone out of business?

Xerobull likes this.