1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Coming around to Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Jun 25, 2021.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think you can find a really good bigs with the later picks especially if you can package them and move up a bit.

Alperen Sengun - A bigger Scola, I really like this player!
    Isaiah Jackson - undersized C or PF :D
    Ibou Badji - Draft and stash option

rkh-dog likes this.
  2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

His first step is world class. He'll get past anyone and with today's offenses and defenses, he will generate a ton of 3s that we'll then miss.

13 in 33 and bmelo like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was one of my thinking as well.

There are good Euro bigs instead of a 2nd pick who strives to be a defensive Euro big.

ipaman likes this.
  4. sydmill

sydmill Member

I will be happy with either player but I am Team Mobley until I start to come around to the idea being peddled that he doesnt care about ball. I will, and have always, conceded that Green is electric and will be a top tier scorer but what else does he bring? Up until now every team he has been on had their primary play be give the ball to JG and watch him go to work. Did we not have an entire BBS complaining about Francis doing that as everyone stood around watching? How many complained about Harden dribbling the air out of the ball? Until Green can convince me that he can be the centerpiece of an offense and not a guy that scores a lot of ISO points then I will need to think that Mobley is not what I expect him to be.

End of the day both guys are likely a major improvement to the talent base that is currently on the team. I just feel that adding a Zach Lavine type doesnt equal the same benefits as adding a Chris Bosh type. Regardless, either is worthy of a top pick and will be very useful.

5. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Mobley. His defense is immediate. We have offensive options.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

When you are the worst team in the league, you draft for talent, not for need. We do not have offensive options. We have Wood who is legit good, KPJ who has potential and bunch of scrubs including one making 100 million dollars.

#26 rockbox, Jun 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I'm team Mobley but I really have 0 issues taking Green.

I guess the only one I do worry about is Suggs. Personally, everything I hear about him just screams like a really really good player. I feel like his absolute ceiling is Kyle Lowry, like that's his ABSOLUTE ceiling...and while Lowry is definitely a HOF player and great PG he's not someone and has never been someone where you go "If I'm starting my team I'm going with Lowry." I feel like Jalen Suggs is going to be a good starting level PG and borderline all-star while Mobley and Green do have potential IMHO to be a lot more. So Suggs is the only one where if his name is called I'll go "Huh?? Well, that's interesting..."

So I have no issues with getting Green at all. I merely prefer Mobley because it's not easy to find bigs that can switch and guard perimeter players and it's easier to find guards that can just get buckets.

For me, for Green to be worth it, is if you think he's going to one day be a 30ppg scorer on great efficiency and a great leader to boot. If he's all that, then yeah, he's going to be great...but like that leadership ability and the ability to know WHEN to take over his huge. Because lots of guys can score. Donovan Mitchell can score with ease and Beal can too and it really didn't help their teams out. What really separated them from other elite scorers like KD, Jordan, Kobe, Kawhi, etc...is those guys knew WHEN to take over games.

I feel like most of us team Mobley guys are fine with taking Green while Team Green guys are adamant against ever drafting a big man in the top 5 ever again...

8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Trying to fix the defensive problems amidst the offensive explosion going on in the NBA is chasing your tail. ROX were 24th in scoring!! 24th!! I think too many guys are lax in thinking the offense is not the problem with this team. How many times do possessions stall because guys are playing hot potato timid in their own ability or just trying to fit in? This team needs an assassin who will go get buckets in bunches to keep up with everyone else. Green has the physical tools and like OP mentions the MIND STATE to be at the very least an above average defender, unlike KPJ who thus far is lost out there on defense too much due to him not being a student of the game - Yet. Having a guy like Green around would push EVERYONE to be a better version of themselves on the court.

For the record Mobley would be my 2nd choice, but it would require more jostling of the roster and subsequent player movement IMO.

My starters if we cant retain Kelly O for next year:

KPJ
    Green
    JST
    KMJ
    Wood

9. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

You obviously didn’t watch the video because they showed plenty of plays both in high school and in G league scrimmage of Green making plays for others in the half court. He was asked about his reads and he was very honest about what he needs to work on in terms of delivering the ball to bigs in better spots and seeing the open man and passing to them across court in the half court.

Green is 19. He’s the youngest prospect by far, so I think it’s crazy to expect all of these improvements from Mobley, but then turn around and say that Green can’t improve as a playmaker. Was Steve Francis incapable or unwilling to be a playmaker? Most of these things start with an unwillingness. If you watch the interview Green has no problem being held accountable and wants to improve at everything. That’s not Steve Francis.

10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

booker and trae

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Booker and Trae are great players off the ball though, this is an area where Green can definitely improve at. Green's great with the ball...not so much without it.

His reliance on the ball is a legit criticism and if we do draft him is going to be a bit of an issue if he's sharing a backcourt with KPJ who also thrives with the ball and John Wall who refuses to pass the ball...

12. raining threes

Green has good handles for a 2 guard. Plays defense and will gain strength. He's barely 19 years old.

bballjunkie likes this.
  13. raining threes

Could you not say the same thing about Trae Young?

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nah because Trae's better at catch and shooting, Green's not there yet. He should be, nothing is wrong with his shot. But if you can shoot like Trae can then just literally standing behind the three point line massively helps your offense.

I mean he should develop into a great all around scorer for a guard. I'm just saying that immediately I think his reliance on needing the ball will stick out.

I'm not against drafting Green and just pointing out there are still many areas he has to grow his game.

15. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I feel the same Don

Over the last couple of weeks, the more I saw of Jalen, the more I lean towards picking him at 2. I was for Mobley for a while, but now I'm thinking Jalen is the first choice, and more of a superstar caliber player. Also, Mobley kind of disappointed in his last game in the final four...

16. vlaurelio

Trae and Booker gets most of their points as Pick & Roll Ball Handler

ATL and Suns surrounded them with players and coaching devised and strategy and implemented it and Trae & Booker executed it

17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

But the issue here is again...how will he impact the offense without the ball? It's a fair question to ask especially if you're set on KPJ being the PG of the future.

Everyone is hyping a KPJ/Green backcourt but we have to envision how that might work. If it's going to be "My turn, Your turn," then I'm sure that will be fun to watch but will get tiring after a few early playoff exits.

All I'm saying is the guy has to improve his scoring ability when he doesn't have the ball.

don grahamleone likes this.
  18. vlaurelio

that's what I'm saying he needs to have the cast and coach who will implement and execture PnRs with Green as ball handler. just like booker and young

and what your asking is not 100% on green. it would be the teams makeup, offensive philiosphy, and coaching

raining threes likes this.
  19. ball king23

ball king23 Member

for I like Jalen Greens game as a scorer but it all depends on who is a better fit for me watch the highlights in the g league that is all I will say other than defense that can be worked on with any player in this draft I looked at the highlights for Evan Mobley and Jalen Green there is a difference in both watch the highlights in both players

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You do realize that draft predictions are draft predictions.

The only players that were stars in their first year can be counted on one hand?

You get better every year.

I am very amused by the crowd that seems to cry 'low ceiling' 'low ceiling' with a 20 year old.

I do not get that a mature player cannot get even more mature. That is a myth to me.

Especially if that is a card played to aggressively mob a prospect out of conversation.

Unfortunately yes, you have to draft him and then see if he progresses to get better each year.

And no, the Rockets aren't going to listen to CF on those predictions!