1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Counterpoint: AD was just as 'frail' as Mobley is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikenm268, Jun 24, 2021.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Mobley is not considered the next AD the OP said he is skinny like AD was so if AD became big enough to play center in the NBA Mobley can as well.

Cade is the consensus no 1 pick everybody knows that he id the Lebron of this draft.

mikenm268 likes this.
  2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Fine, but I think Mobley lacks the killer instinct.

rockets1995 likes this.
  3. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

Aggressive font, sir. The source I looked up at 3am (his scouting profile) said 214. Evan is 218…if AD was actually 221, it doesnt change my point. What’s yours?

4. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I like this take. I’m not a scouting expert and I dont watch college ball. Im not trying to compare AD’s game or upside to Mobley’s.

I do read a lot of CF, and I’ve seen a lot of ‘Mobley is too skinny, do not draft’. I think that ignores that most players bulk up, and many were similarly light to Mobley.

Anyway, I appreciate the engagement for my first ever post, thanks all.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe, it is a fair question to ask. He isn't entirely stoic if you watch him a lot. For example he can be really aggressive on defense and he also will at times go and force contact on offense.

Honestly it is possible that none of the top 3-4 picks are "killers".

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I like his defense, I think he can't handle physical contact all that well, at the college level. It's possible he may get better with some more bulk. Green is skinny too, but my feeling is he isn't afraid of contact. That doesn't mean, he doesn't need to add more muscle on his slim frame.

Nook likes this.
  7. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

AD was getting injured in college too. Some guys just end up getting injured a lot.

I don't think Mobley needs to put on a ton of bulk, but tone and adding a few pounds of muscle would certainly help him out. Closer to what Capela did than Dwight who became super muscular and mostly useless.

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

So does that mean we should trade Wood?

9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Picking Mobley is swinging for the fences and with all the bad sh*t since Tillman took over, Hakeem blesses us at the lottery, and with a total rebuild in progress we need a home run. :D We'll know more after the combine, I wouldn't be disappointed with Green or Suggs being drafted also. Green could be a big time scorer and Suggs has that 'Trae Young' killer instinct. However, Mobley could be special if it all comes together for him.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I read a streamer comment that Evan Mobley not 100% into basketball and wants to become a Doctor.

Does anyone have more info on this.

It means Jalen Green deserves to be picked 2nd easily.

mikenm268 likes this.
  11. bumbum09

bumbum09 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think he's checks your third box. Mobley has a calm demeanor and an even-keeled personality. He's not publically expressive with his emotions, so I think people get the impression that he's not competitive. I think he's got a similar personality to Tim Duncan. He's very cerebral, and an introvert but highly competitive inside, and only those close to him see his competitiveness.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/19/sports/ncaabasketball/evan-mobley-usc-isaiah.html

Throughout much of their childhoods, Isaiah, older by around 20 months, stood as the more imposing of the two. But in high school, Evan had caught up to him, at least in height.

Now, Evan did not want to just beat his brother once or twice on luck and hope. "Winning was cool," he said, "But I wanted to win how I wanted to win. I wanted to win in a way that was solidified and not a close game."

Sometimes, their father, Eric Mobley, demanded the ball and told them to go inside before the games got too physical. "Evan would be hot, just mad at the world," Eric said. "And Isaiah was bigger, stronger, so I didn't want them to get into fights or anything like that. Then, sometimes I'd let them get in there and mix it up a little bit, because they got to settle it."

They never did really settle it. "It gets too nasty," Isaiah, 21, said.

glynch, clutchdabear, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I’m a little concerned about having bigs that need to bulk up especially if they don’t already have a stockier frame.

Look at Yao, the first 3 years he played like every game. We started encouraging him to bulk up and then the injuries seemed to start and literally pound on. Of course, China demanding he play for the national team didn’t help things either.

More recently, Capela went from being uncannyly adept when he was switched onto guards the first 2-3 years when he was here. Started really bulking up in 2019 and then his first major knee injury that he hadn't recovered from until like this year; like 2 years. It also hurt his ability to guard perimeter players.

For your own example, AD has had continuous injuries.

If we pick Mobley and want him to bulk up, I hope the Rockets have like a 5-year plan. They can’t expect him to add 30+ pounds of muscle in the first 2-3 years of his career. To me, that’s asking for injuries. Ideally, he should add maybe 5 pounds a year and let his body adjust.

If his body type was more stockier like Cousins, Howard, Embiid then that’s different but trying to add too much muscle on a thin frame like that is gonna precursor injuries.

D-rock and Caesar like this.
  13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: IS Mobley significantly better than Jarrett Allen? More Upside?
    (Mobley is who we see as a center right?)

Rocket River

14. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

I would say that I think Mobley does have more upside, particularly with respect to the array of offensive moves he already possesses. He seems to score a lot of different ways. JA seems to get buckets in transition or standing in the dunkers' spot. I was looking up highlights to see if that bias was fair, and the ones I found, it's pretty hard to find JA shooting a jumper that wasn't to beat a shot clock and happened to fall. It's just a ton of dunks and blocks. I've already admitted I don't watch college basketball much, but in his highlights, Mobley flashes some pretty impressive post moves, and his jumper looks sound and like it could improve. I think they are both good defenders, with JA being stronger (at least right now) and Mobley having more lateral quickness and versatility.

That said, the reality is that Jarrett Allen is better than about half of the players drafted top four over the last 10-20 years. I know we all want to draft the next KD or LeBron, but pretty much every year, one or two of the top four players are outright busts, or even if they hang in the league, they become lesser players than JA is now. It's not exciting to think about, but we could do worse.

Makes me wonder where Jarrett Allen would go in this draft, meaning his current skill set/body/age (he's only 23).

15. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I agree, KPJr will need a legitimate 2. Gordon ain’t gonna cut it. Mobley looks soft as hell. The only thing I like about him right now is his defensive potential and mobility.

rockets1995 likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly my question is. . .kind of based on the fact that we could have had Allen
    Then the answer to who the draft would be simpler

Rocket River

mikenm268 likes this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

To me I was a turned off when Evan Mobley Dunk and Screams against 6'8 Stiff Centers that cant play Basketball.

The Center Competition in College is Trash.

Role Players or bust at the Center Position nowadays.

I'm the Euroleague there can be Stars at PF and Center.

banzai likes this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

19. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Ok, just do it if the Pistons don't take Mobley number one. Swing for the fences. Green might just turn out to be pure scorer who can't play good defense-- a Sweet Lou, but of course we will need that, too.

bumbum09 likes this.
  20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cuttino's kid is not frail.

D-rock likes this.