1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Rocket_Man_2.0

You don't draft for need...you don't draft for rarity...you draft who you think is the best! Jalen Green is the best player in the draft...IMO!

Htown's Finest likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

KO’C: Evan Mobley is the favorite in terms of people’s big boards. However, I question the fit with Mobley and Wood. Mobley can play with absolutely anybody at all because he has the skills on offense to play on the perimeter, can shoot a bit, can pass and facilitate, can rim run and play inside. On defense, he has the versatility to switch on the perimeter.

The problem is with Wood, you’d have two lean guys unable to take on the Embiid’s and Jokic’s of the world. If you’re the Rockets, you have to be looking at the two Jalen’s — Jalen Green and Jalen Suggs. Suggs would add some playmaking just like James Harden did and that’s important for Christian Wood. Wood was at his best when he had Harden running PnR, throwing him lobs, kick outs for pick & pop three pointers and Suggs could provide that too.

However, for a team like Houston who isn’t thinking about winning games right now, they’re still young & in a rebuilding phase, I’m picking Jalen Green. He’s the younger guy who can provide more upside with his scoring ability. Jalen Green at 6’5, freakish athlete, very Zach LaVine-esque, but also has the ability to create his shots on the perimeter. Over the course of the season with Green in the G League, we saw his decision making improve. He got better at passing off the dribble, better at not forcing shots. For the Rockets, that could boost Wood’s value and give them the perimeter shot creator who can score that they lack after trading James Harden.

#282 J.R., Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    DCHAMP and Htown's Finest like this.
  3. Rocket_Man_2.0

Good point. Jalen Green makes us better faster and with Wood being 25...by the time Mobley hits his prime, Wood will be on the decline! We need a player that can hit the ground running.

DCHAMP likes this.
  4. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

It just feels like you are "reaching" for position instead of the BPA. If we had a Steph and a Klay on our team then I would be more inclined to draft Mobley then. Let me ask you this question, who is more likely to be an all-star next year on this team C Wood or Wall or either KPJ? For me I'll say C Wood has more of the potential to be an all-star next year as he was really close to being one this year before he got hurt. If C Wood had some girth to him I would be ok with drafting Mobley as well but I'm not ok with the idea of having two light ass bigs on the court together. And if you are taking a guy in the top 3 you can bet your butt that guy will be starting for said team in less than a year. But hopefully we can resign Kelly Olynyk. I just believe that Green is going to be a 25+ scorer in this league sooner rather than later barring injuries. Based on all the games I've watched of Mobley I'm not really too impressed with him TBH.

Rocket_Man_2.0 likes this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you feel more inclined to get Mobley if we had a steph and a klay then you are the one reaching for position instead of BPA. I want Mobley even if we have Wood so I'm the one going BPA and not you.

I don't care about All Star next year the Rockets are rebuilding they should be thinking of setting the foundation rather than looking for immediate all stars. If they just want All star trade no 2 pick for Jaylen Brown boom instant all star. C wood is def trending to be an all star but the thing is the Rox are the worst team in the league one all star just gonna get them from worst to worse. So the plan should be to still stink it up and hope for another high pick we got 3 picks in next year's draft including our own pick no need to pray for miracle. In fact if I were the owner I'd trade Wood for more assets because at 26 and on a 2 year deal he will likely be gone before KPJ and Kmart Jr are ready for contention. Wood wants to win that's why he left Detroit he won't stick around on a sucking team like the Rox he will leave after his deal is done unless the Rox pay him the max or something. So better to trade him next season when his value is the highest.

In that situation you aren't looking for instant impact players so I'd rather take a risk on a bigger upside guy like Mobley than Green.

JayGoogle and D-rock like this.
  6. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Mobley is a nice player but look at REALITY....he is 7 feet tall and only 215 pounds???? He has to be at least 225 pounds to make a difference. There are going to be 6'9 guys beating him up every night. You do not believe me.....Wood is 6'10 and 215 and he was getting beat up every night and when things got to physical he always WHIN to the refs....Wood is only a Power Forward and Mobley is a Power Forward.......stop dreaming he is a passive and skinny 7 footer....i seen many USC games last year and he was never energetic or wanted to take control of the game....his brother did not him....the NBA is going to eat him up

Rocket_Man_2.0 likes this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Zach LaVine is a top level NBA player. His freakish athleticism helps with that. /end

You don't have to look up anything. I didn't look it up today, i knew it from glancing at it weeks ago, when i was doing the tiniest bit of research on Jalen Green and who his potential comps are. Have some familiarity with the NBA dude.

Nobody said measurements weren't important. I'm just not hyper focused on it as if Mobley is the next big thing because of his measurements.

Measurements are ok. They're relevant, but way below the "can the dude play basketball at an NBA level" analysis.

Which is why I'd never say something like "bigs like him don't grow on trees"... because bigs like him HAVE come and gone and some are successful and some aren't. Just like wings.

Because it has very little to do with how good of a basketball player someone might become when comparing potential top NBA players.

I have to look as far back in draft history as LAST YEAR to find a big like his measurements (except better) that was taken 2nd, and shouldn't have been.

One: I don't know or care if its your only reason. I said its a dumb reason. See 2020 draft.

Two: What i responded to originally was your comment that Green isn't a freak specimen, and de facto since "bigs like Mobley don't grow on trees" that Mobley is... which is incorrect. They're both freak specimens.

If you are in the top x% of athleticism, then that's exactly what it means.

What, what people, and wtf are you talking about like there's some kind of consensus for what people mean when they say freak, lol.

my brain cells are literally dying the more i read this...
    "he's a freak athlete, maybe a freak bro... some might call him a freak dude or homey, but not a freak SPECIMEN, he'd have to check boxes x,y,z to be that..."

i'm not responding anymore....

Htown's Finest and HP3 like this.
  8. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Klay and Steph are all-stars though. Why draft a guard when they aren't really going to see much time on the floor with the #2 pick if you are the GSW? That's why the GSW drafted Wiseman last year. What I'm saying is quite simple, not really too complicated to understand bro. The reason why we can't just simply trade the #2 pick to lets say Boston for Jaylen Brown is number one I don't think Boston would do that (The Celtics are notoriously hard to deal with in trades) and number two we would have to give up some core assets and probably have to take back a bad contract or two to boot. Like you said C Wood has good chance of leaving us high and dry in 2 years. If Houston believes he's a piece moving forward with their rebuild why sour the relationship by drafting a guy at his position that is not even half as good as him right now? Just seems like more trouble than what's it worth to me. Also do you really believe that Mobley has more upside than Green? At best I could see Mobley being a top 5 center in about 4-5 years. At best I could see Green being a top 15 guy in 4 years. Green has more upside to me...

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Again you are the one who said sometimes athleticism helps in scoring sometimes it doesn't. So Lavine's stats are irrelevant whether he is a freak athlete or not. I don't care about Lavine so I don't care how much he scores I'm not a Lavine fan and I don't watch Chicago games either. Besides we are talking about Green and Mobley not Lavine so again Lavine's regular season stats are irrelevant to Green. Sure Lavine the player is a possible outcome for Green but Lavine's averages this season is irrelevant as Lavine is 26 yr old while Green is only 19 right now. Why will I worry about Green's possible average 6 yrs down the line? It's irrelevant.

You are right you shouldn't respond anymore you are contradicting yourself and not making any sense.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Do you even know what reaching for position vs BPA means? Explain what you think it means and then reconcile it with your statement.

11. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

lol

roslolian likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I put "2021 NBA mock draft" in google and the top hits pretty much have Mobley as the pick. ESPN Givony is the only one I saw who has Green has his no 2, most mocks even say Mobley is in a league of his own after Cade.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...alen-green-are-top-three-picks-after-lottery/
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...nning-pistons-at-no-1-jalen-suggs-to-rockets/
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944822-2021-nba-mock-draft-post-draft-lottery-edition
    https://www.nba.com/news/2021-consensus-mock-draft
    https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
    https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2021/6...021-instant-first-round-picks-detroit-pistons
    https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

Of course the collective mocks are never correct 100% of the time he can be a bust but I'm just saying the overwhelming consensus rn is Mobley. Tbh I'm shoked here in CF Green is leading I thought we are all partial to big men after Malone, Hakeem, Yao, Dwight and now CWood.

13. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Reaching for position is what you are trying to do in drafting a light in the ass C just because great C's are unicorns in the modern NBA. BPA or best player available is taking the guy who is more likely to have the better NBA career example being me believing that the Green will undoubtedly have the better career vs Mobley.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

I never said I thought Green was the BPA, Mobley is my BPA I'm saying he is a unicorn on top of being my BPA. If you think Green is the BPA that means you will be taking him regardless who is on your roster. That's the definition of BPA even if you Klay Thompson and Steph Curry if you think Green is the BPA you'd still take him and not Mobley. If you had 14 Steph Currys on the squad and Green is available if you think Green is the BPA then you still take him in the draft. When you mentioned you'd be more comfortable taking Mobley if you had Steph and Klay that means you aren't choosing by BPA you are choosing by position or need already.

Here is what Kevin O' Connor says about Green
    "No scorer in the draft has more upside than Green. But he’s still raw and must tighten his handle to become the type of scoring threat the Cavaliers need. Green is also slightly undersized and underweight as a wing,"

Green isn't MJ incoming in my eyes, he has holes he needs to fix just like Mobley. If they both have holes and need work anyway I'm taking the Unicorn, on top of him being my BPA.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You should.

I think it's a lot harder to find bigs that can defensively cover 5 positions than it is to find a guard that can drop 20 a night.

I think it's not even close, especially with how the rules favor that kind of player.

I mean I think we can literally keep the guards we have and get a 20ppg scorer from Wall, Ego, or KPJ...

Now where are we going to find a big that can cover 5 positions and protect the rim at the same time?

16. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

These are 19 year old kids bro lol. Of course they have holes in their game. Kobe, KG, LeBron, Moses, etc were not finished products at 18 years old. And personally I could give a damn what Kevin O'Connor or any other analyst has to say about who they feel is the BPA in this year's draft. If they are so great at assessing talent then why aren't they getting paid millions of dollars by some NBA franchise vs writing blogs? I don't get it bro...

17. PatBev

PatBev Member

Just let me have my biased opinion lol

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Barnes too.

If Sengun falls to 23, would be very hard to pass up.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Right so they are both project and both need a lot of work. One is a unicorn and the other isn't.

Kevin O Connor's opinion is just that, an opinion. Just like yours and mine if you don't care about other people's opinions why you even here talking with strangers about their opinion? I don't get it bro...

20. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Only 1 of them got a ring. Think that whole rocket era of “BIG” man is long gone.. especially with fertits here now.