1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Be very wary of people like this who put everything on measurables and then use the wrong ones to inflate their side of the argument. Westbrook is 6'3" not 6'5" which puts him at about 2" above the average for a pg in today's game. He is indeed a freak athlete, but that isn't just because he can run fast and jump high. Plenty of players at his position can do that. It's about how he can control that athleticism to his advantage in a game. Green is a freak athlete because of his control of his athleticism. If Westbrook was a good shooter he'd be unstoppable, but he's not. This is why I'm wary of players coming into the league that aren't very good shooters, because there's no way of telling if they will ever become one and in the playoffs when teams guard the rim much better, you must be able to shoot well to score.

2. Rockets4Life13

Well said.

It’s ridiculous to say that you can find guys like Green everywhere just because he is 6“5 (he’s actually 6“6 according to my info) that’s like Me saying you can find Evan Mobleys everywhere in the draft because 7 footers aren’t all that rare. (They aren’t, most of them just suck at basketball) A lot of people here really overrate raw height and ignore skills and athletic ability.

joshuaao, Denovo and Htown's Finest like this.
  3. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Ball in the Australian League, which is below G League level.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

So you think Mobley doesnt have skills and athletic ability?

....this draft is considered extremely deep. If Mobley was just a stiff with zero skills and athleticism he wouldnt be considered the top big man prospect wtf.

5. Rockets4Life13

And Jalen Green is 6“6, not 6“5. So from 3 inches difference we had them at the same height to fit that posters argument, which is completely ridiculous btw.

Omihall23 and Htown's Finest like this.
  6. Rockets4Life13

Hell no, Mobley is really talented, but so is Green. I’m just saying that your argument is trash in my opinion because u can’t find someone like Green easily as you can’t someone like Mobley.

Htown's Finest and JayZ750 like this.
  7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Wtf are you talking about. You can't even follow the conversation.

Those were Zach LaVine's NBA averages this year.

I don't think you pay that much attention to the NBA, related. The fact you immediately thought those were Green's g-league averages means you've not put any research into this at all (Green's g-league averages are worse across the board, as one would expect) or that you wouldn't have thought they were more likely LaVine's (as any hardcore NBA fan would know... cause LaVine has been under the radar great for a few years now, health aside... ala Booker...who know is all that now his team is winning).

You kind of like sweep in with generalizations randomly.

Imagine thinking actual ability doesn't matter? Like Hasheem Thabeet and Tako Fall should be HOFers.

8. Rocket_Man_2.0

Mobley doesn't have the skill and athletism worthy of a #2 draft selection! Jalen Green is the more skilled player!

Htown's Finest likes this.
  9. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Says the guy that said guards are easier to find than bigs lol. We all know that. But this isn't the NFL bro where teams are going to take QB's and DE's in the first round and then draft the best TE's in the second round. Teams draft whom they think the best player is regardless of position. This whole conversation is moot to be honest.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

The conversation was about Jalen Green and Mobley. You just said "he" lol how was I supposed to know you were talking about Lavine? Why even post Lavine's averages are we trading for Lavine? No? Then what the hell is the point? There's no guarantee Green gonna be the next Lavine Mobley could be the next AD want me to post AD's averages to tell you why Mobley should be the pick? It's a dumb argument wtf.

When did I say actual ability doesnt matter? These are top rated draft prospects who d hell among these two dont have ability??? You are the one with generalizations here not me imagine using Lavine season average to tell me why we should draft Green and lumping Mobley with Thabeet and Tako Fall just because they are all 7 footers wtf.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The conversation was about Green being a freak specimen, upon which i compared him to Lavine and yo said Lavine wasn't a freak specimen and his athleticism maybe helps boost his scoring a bit. That was literally the post i responding to.

But forget that... more obvious is you've done no research and aren't intimately familiar with whose doing waht in the NBA and among the top prospects. I'm not like a scout or anything. Heck, i don't do a ton of research, but it's not that hard to pull up google and do a little research.

I'd be shocked if you've put more than a bit of rudimentary thought into this.

Yeah, it's a moronic argument, which is the point. Measurements is a dumb argument. He's the next xyz is a dumb argument. Etc.

You got to actually do a bit of research, lol.

I don't ****ing know. When did I say measurements don't matter? I'm just putting words into your mouth like you did for me.

Negative ghost-rider... i'm just parroting your dumb line of arguments to show you how dumb it is. Success i guess.

"Mobley = bigs like him don't grow on trees = he has to be the pick!"
    - rosliolian

See how dumb that is?

----

EDIT: the whole conversation was about whether Green is a freak specimen. He is. He has top 5% NBA level athleticism. Sometimes that helps, sometimes that doesn't. Just like sometimes Mobley like measurements help, sometimes they don't.

Denovo likes this.
  12. roslolian

roslolian Member

You ever heard of Ceteris Paribus? These are two of the consensus top 4 picks obv you wont find them easily. But you can find Green clones more easily than Mobley clones.

You are saying both of them are talented and both of them are hard to find. I agree with you. So how does that help you make a decision on who to pick? Lol you're not really saying anything when you say both of them have it.

13. Rockets4Life13

So you’re accepting the premise that both are great prospects? Good. I personally think that Green is the one with the higher upside. Like 30+ ppg upside.

which is why i favor Green. But i won’t be mad if Stone picked Mobley after he did his research.

Im sure Stone will pick the right guy

roslolian and Htown's Finest like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

How does Lavine's scoring average prove or disprove my statement? So you think just because somebody scores a lot he is a freak specimen? Kyrie Irving scores 2 more pts than Lavine is he a freak specimen? Why the hell do I need to look up Lavine's regular season averages to prove or disprove what I say? LOL I'm shocked at how little sense you are making.

Measurements has got nothing to do with the next XYZ. You are the one saying because Lavine scored 27 pts then Green will score 27 pts. That's different from measurements. Measurements are extremely important why you think people have a draft combine? If it's a dumb argument people wouldn't get measured to boost their draft stock.

You literally just said measurements is a dumb argument in your previous reply. Are you high or what?

Why is it dumb to select Mobley over Green because bigs don't grow on trees? That's one of the reasons to select Mobley I never said that's the only reason. I been making posts about Mobley and arguing with so many posters here should I write every single reason I can think off on every post I make about Mobley? lol. You're the one with the dumb points here not me. It's not my fault you cherry pick one post that's not even addressed to you and assume that's the only reason to select Mobley. In your own words, do your research and read what I previously wrote about Mobley before you start arguing with me.
    ----

Just because you are athletic doesn't mean you are a freak specimen. When people say freak they refer to measurements on top of athleticism usually. For example Zion is called a freak not just because he is extremely athletic, it's also because of his mass he is like heavier than Draymond Green but jumps and dunks like Lebron. Lavine is extremely athletic and people call him a freak athlete but they've never called him a freak specimen cuz his measurement is just average for his position. Giannis, WB, Zion these are the guys called freak specimens cuz they shouldn't be able to do what they do given their measurements.

I never talked about whether it helps or not like you said the conversation is just about Green being a freak specimen. Sometimes it helps sometimes it doesn't hence why I didn't mention anything about averages. You are the one who pulled averages out of nowhere like it affects whether Green is a freak specimen or not. My opinion is Green can def dunk from the ft line so he is extremely athletic but he isn't a freak specimen cuz he doesn't have above average measurements for his position. Going back to human highlight reel days we've always seen uber athletic shooting guards so people don't see Lavine as a freak. They see him as a human highlight reel but he isn't really freakish like Kawhi's long arms and big hands for example or Lebron being the size of Karl Malone but having the speed and reflexes of Kobe.

#275 roslolian, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is very similar to the logic used by Bill Obrien to go with Brock Osweiler and Tom Savage as his NFL quarterbacks.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Westbrook gets to the line.

A common theme among stars. Green's inability to get there in the GL is worrisome.

D-rock likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course I'd be ok with either. I'm just saying between the two I'd pick Mobley because he is rarer to find than Green. Next year for example the two big men prospects comparable to Mobely this year are Chet Holmgreen and Banchero are both projected top 2. So if you don't get Mobley then you have to pray to get top 2 pick again to get his replacement.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any Clutch heroes want to post this article for a ninja?

D-rock, Rockets4Life13 and roslolian like this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't really follow NFL but we only have limited information to make decisions. If given the same situation where both are highly touted prospects with a lot of talent and upside you are trying to use differentiating qualities to make your decision already.

If A is a freak specimen and B isn't then all things equal you'd take A. it's better to be a freak specimen than not doesn't mean you are always gonna be correct. You can't really use outliers to prove or disprove your point does that mean every 6th round QB gonna win 6 rings like Tom Brady? Of course not between a prospect like Andrew Luck and a prospect like Tom Brady you take the prospect like Andrew Luck. You won't always be right but given the limited info you have at the time that's the best decision to make.