1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Say we want Mobley...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jun 23, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

The guard market may be getting saturated fast. I feel this is why Clutch put
    out that trade Eric Gordon options thread. Clutch may be overlooking the terrain
    and seeing the guard market being overrun. The cup might be filling over soon.

Guys like Cole Anthony, Quickley, Halliburton plus others drafted a couple
    of years ago are developing. Terrance Mann types will be pushing the Ish
    Smith/Rondo's out of the league soon.

Can the Rockets trade Eric Gordon without having to wrap him with
    draft picks like bacon? Augustin $7M contract is looking pretty
    steep to many teams when they can just draft a young player in the
    second round and pay him cheaper. Younger, taller, more athletic
    individuals.

Rockets might need to spend picks to move EGo/Augustin to
    make room for late first, second round or undrafted free agent.
    Rockets worked out Tre Mann this week. Things to consider.
    We might need additional future picks.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hear you bro. I hope Gordon will successfully represent the USA team in the Olympics. This can improve his trade value. I'm okay with attaching a high future 2nd round pick to him. No more than that. His trade value might be best around the February deadline, if he's fit.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  3. Htown's Finest

D-rock stop it lol, you and I both know that I watch the Rocket's games and I know you watch Rocket's games too. Yes defense was a problem for us big time but most importantly our offense was stagnant. We really don't have that "guy" that you can give the ball to and say here go get me a bucket. KPJ is developing nicely and C Wood is pretty good but they are not first option players to me. We need a horse, someone that we can give the damn ball to and watch him work for us like we had in James Harden. Mobley I'm sorry to say is not that guy for that. He seems like a very nice kid and is a pretty good at basketball but there is nothing I see in his game that is elite, plus he is really really thin too. I watched guys like Ralph Sampson and Hakeem and Moses and Yao and etc play for us. I get that Houston has a pedigree of drafting great big men, but it's has to be the "right" big man. Also what nobody on this board is considering or talking about is this is a jump shooting league now, and more three point shots are taken in our league than ever before. So why waste a #2 pick on a guy that IMO is not even elite on the defensive side of the ball and is average at best offensively again? It would be different if Mobley was Rudy Gobert esque and was the total rim protector but he's not. I see a pretty a good helpside defender and guy that is going to get bullied even by guys like Zubac, and my heart shutters at the thought of trying to have Evan guard guys like Jokic, KAT, Embiid etc. They are going to take his lunch and ask for seconds. Also look at it from TF's perspective, is a guy like Mobley going to bring fans to the arena or is a high flyer like Green going to put butts in the seats? I think we both know the answer to that rhetorical question. Green or Cade is an easy sell to an already struggling business man.

34to11, Denovo, Dobbizzle and 2 others like this.
  4. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Yep!

Htown's Finest likes this.
  5. a time to chill

I think we should draft Mobley and keep Wood. Make Mobley the Center and Wood a PF. I really want a team that's top-rated defensively.

D-rock likes this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

Yes, they're in a bit of limbo land, where the new draftee overlaps with their existing guys, who is still blossoming. They have to decide if similar to Rockets where they're just drafting for talent or talent + fit.

If we take Mobley, and Green falls into their lap, they'll still have the problem of overlapping guards. Even if the split the minutes among the three: Green SexLand, development might get stunted on one or multiple guys.

D-rock likes this.
  7. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I keep going back and forth on whether the fit with Mobley and Wood would be good or not.

Either way, it's definitely not a thing where it would for sure not work like when Philly had Embiid, Okafor, Noel, and Simmons.

D-rock likes this.
  8. Rocket_Man_2.0

Red Flag: A common inquiry draft analysts have made into Evan Mobley does not concern his tangible talents. Mobley shies away from contact at times and it shows in his body language. This could lower his ceiling at the next level. He does not possess the same aggressive spirit of other forwards in the league. How could this impact his eventual team’s play on the court? Mobley is not a strong screen setter at all. NBA systems rely on both pick-and-roll and dribble handoff schemes so much that this could prove frustrating. It begs the question: “Can a player learn to be more physical?” Perhaps yes. When he adds more muscle to his frame, Mobley may find himself more willing to assert his dominance and be the aggressor.

Denovo likes this.
  9. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I think our team goal is to tank the next 2 seasons still because we don't owe OKC until 24'. By then the BKN picks should start to be worth something.

I feel like picking Mobley will let us keep tanking whereas picking Green will make us a lot better next season and ruining the tank.

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley is an elite defender.

Have you seen his advanced stats?

Not only averaging almost 3 blocks/game but can switch 1-5 and he does all this without fouling.

That is elite defense.

Zen Tabak, JayGoogle and ChillyPete32 like this.
  11. Htown's Finest

Shot blocking does not equal elite defense bro. Mobley is going to get used and abused down low in the paint. He's not quick of foot enough to guard the Dame Lillard's and the Steph Curry's of the world in a defensive switch scenario IMO. He's barely keeping up with guys that will never step one foot in the NBA, what do you think it's going to happen to him once he starts playing against all-star calibur players?

34to11, Denovo and Rocket_Man_2.0 like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Name me a big that can lock down Dame and Steph?

Or any player regardless of position?

Your examples of elite defense are ridiculous, your mind is obviously made up but you are better than these silly anecdotes.

Once again, just look up his advanced stats.

Mobley was named Pac-12 Player of the Year, Defensive Player of the Year and Freshman of the Year. He’s the first college player from a major conference to win all three awards since Davis did it at Kentucky in 2012.

Mobley also leads college basketball in BPM (box score plus-minus), an all-in-one stat that attempts to measure a player’s on-court impact.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...aft-comparison-bio-highlights-scouting-report

a time to chill and JayGoogle like this.
  13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Living in dc, I’ve seen Beal and Wall for 7 years. No thanks

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  14. Rocket_Man_2.0

Mobley's skills aren't going to translate to the NBA. He looks good against college competition but will get exposed against NBA pros! Too soft..too slow! Draft Jalen Green...he's NBA ready!

Denovo likes this.
  15. Htown's Finest

Yes Mobley has the accolades to warrant him being the #2 pick. Nobody is saying that Mobley is not a decorated athlete or a scrub. But you said he could guard 1-5 not me. You tried to make points about how great of a defender Mobley was because he averaged 3 blocks a game. I'll ask you again how does the equate to being a great defender again? I'm not holding my breath for a straight answer from you because like always you spin narratives to support what position you are on. So carry on as usual D-rock lol.

34to11 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm the one spinning narratives???

You said elite defenders can lock down Dame or Steph, I simply asked you to name these elite defenders you speak of in the NBA.

And I'm not the only one saying Mobley can defend 1-5.

Obviously you did not even bother to click link or watch the tweet above.

17. Rocket_Man_2.0

Mobley can defend 1-5 in college..Will get blown by in the NBA!

34to11 and Htown's Finest like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

There is no player in the history of NBA that hasn't been blown by, silly analogy.

If you're saying this will happen EVERY time Mobley iso's on perimeter then you have zero clue.

Ridiculous analysis.

JayGoogle likes this.
  19. Rocket_Man_2.0

Mobley will get blown by more often in the NBA because he's slow and soft! College competition makes him look better then he really is.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, anyone thinking Mobley can shut down Harden, Curry, Dame, they have no idea what they are talking about. Not even Kawhi can shut down these players when they are on. No one can.

The idea of saying Mobley can guard 1-5 means in general you can trust him on regular players and he can at least switch as to not give up open jumpers.

joshuaao, D-rock and Htown's Finest like this.