1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Counterpoint: AD was just as 'frail' as Mobley is

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikenm268, Jun 24, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

True but other than Cade, is there really a player like that in this draft?

Mobley is more of a defender

Green can score by calling his own number, but he's not much by the way of creating for others.

Suggs can create for others, but he's not that great at scoring for himself....and he can't shoot the 3 which will be a problem at the next level until he learns how to shoot.

After the unanimous #1, there's only players with legitimate question marks.

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

He has the ability to put on more muscle that Bosh because of the difference in their shoulders, and is more proportional but they both have very similar wingspans and both moved very well laterally. Bosh was listed at 210 LBS in college and was up to about 235 lbs in his prime. I think that is what we will see with Mobley as well.

Bosh is a pretty good comparison because both would be quite agile, very good athletes but not necessarily extremely explosive. Both also had pretty good defensive instincts (although I think Mobley's are actually better). The biggest difference I see between them is that Bosh is far more animated and clearly loved playing basketball, and that remains to be seen with Mobley.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Cade actually was a mild disappointment as a passer and creator at OKST. What he did very well was shoot the ball from the perimeter and score, which was supposed to not be his strength. You don't hear more about him being an elite scorer at the NBA level because he isn't an top tier athlete when it comes to creating separation. Further, in college his shot creation for others and ability to handle the point was lackluster.

Green impressed coaches and staff with his coachability, desire to improve and his work ethic. Overall he was a very streaky perimeter shooter in the G League and his free throw rate wasn't special. He didn't particularly defend well and didn't show the ability to be a combo guard that can dominate the ball. He also is slightly over rated as an athlete. He doesn't have great measurables, and while he IS explosive, he isn't the type of freak athlete he was pegged as early. He very well could turn into a Hall of Famer, but he has more Bradley Beal to his game than Bryant or Jordan.

Green's risk is somewhat mitigated because he has a reputation as a hard worker and good mature citizen. That should keep him from being a bust.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Mo Bamba has excellent measurables, he is freakishly long and athletic..... but he doesn't move or play like Mobley. Also Mobley is vastly more skilled, has softer hands and has an aptitude for the game that is very high.

T

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Evan looks like KD bodywise and more importantly has similar fluid movement...agile grace at 7ft. High level stuff.

glynch, Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

Did anyone let OP know “street clothes” AD is still spending a ton of time on the sideline

D-rock and Nook like this.
  7. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Uhm, I don't know if Green is being projected as 'that' player. I think he may be more Lavine type with his athleticism and scoring.

I am ok with whatever player they end up choosing. We just need talent on the roster. I will let those professionals do their due diligence on these guys and make the pick come end of July. I don't think we can go wrong either way.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure Green is more of a traditional SG, you don't really want him running the offense all that often, which is fine, because the Rockets have someone to do that already.

I like Green's intangibles and that's what makes me think he could come along as a defender eventually. If he ends up being a Bradley Beal type who can score at will, that's a win so long as we're not trying to run the offense through him most of the time.

HTXSportsAddict, Nook and rockets1995 like this.
  9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Kevin Porter Jr. Vipers and Jalen Green Ignite was the Game I remember most. Talk about Crossing Paths and they look very similar in their Game, they look like Brothers.

I remember thinking they could become Teammates in the Future.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Mobley attacks off the dribble too and that skill will only get better in time. Having a C with that ability will be huge on offense. Clint could NEVER do that for us and I felt that limited the team. Just pointing out another skill he has. He is not a just sit on the block or screen and roll C. We need that on our roster!

HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  11. PatBev

PatBev Member

Lol AD is still frail

12. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

AD looked like a grown man amongst boys in college.

Mobley looked like a tall stick man who got destroyed by college 5's in the post.

Close thread.

13. sydmill

sydmill Member

D-rock likes this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Member

D-rock likes this.
  15. sydmill

sydmill Member

But everyone is beefing about Mobley's size and bulk. Nobody is saying he isn't a great athlete at his height, right? And, if Kareem could hang with the big boys in a much more physical nba, why can't Mobley. I am not saying that Mobley is as good as Kareem (he isn't).Just saying that there is a precedent for a guy with that physical profile being successful.

D-rock likes this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

When I look at bigs I look for:
    1). Soft hands
    2). Agile feet
    3). Killer instinct and Winning mentality

everything else can be taught. When u look at Mobley he checks those first two boxes, I’m not sure about the last one. He does have incredible defensive instincts and he’s a natural passer. Those two things are hard to teach. I do worry about his mindset. Success at the nba level has so much to do with your passion, work ethic, and self confidence. To me that’s the only question with Mobley.

He will grow into his body, he will improve his offensive game. But how dominant he can become honestly depends on that mental piece. I know that’s pretty cliche’ but honestly he has pretty much everything else you look for in a prospect. Can he be a Jokic or Embid? Ie the best big in the league? Might be a stretch. Those guys have that killer instinct.

17. Caesar

Caesar Member

Understood. I agree. In todays positonless game, you can adjust and put him on 3's, 4's and 5's. If i'm not mistaken, KG played the 3 in his rookie year, didn't he?
    The issue i think is putting Mobley in a box as a Center and thinking of traditional/larger Center matchups with Wood in mind as a frail/skinny stretch 4. That's when you need to figure out what to do with Wood so you can run out a lineup with a bigger C to defend the Embiid, Jokers of the world-and even then-who is really slowing them down anyway?
    Other bigs that are large aren't skilled offensively. Mobley's typically going to be a mismatch for most of the centers in todays game. Joker is the only one we'd have to truly worry about since he's in our conference. We'd need some size for matchups against them. Lakers would put AD at C against Mobley, then Bron would feast on Wood, or vice versa. Mobley has to take guys like Capela, Ayton, Gobert outside or face up against those types, but he's long enough to defend them well and most are offensively limited. Ayton could be a future problem though.

I like Wood a lot, but if Mobley is the pick, and with Woods value pretty high, AND with how well KO was playing-hitting the 3/handling the ball/passing like a mini Joker, i would love to see Olynyk/Mobley front court and use the Wood value to find a starting 2 or 3 and let KPj run the show. Throw Wall on the bench. Dismiss him if he causes too much of a distraction. Dudes got no star power left anymore.

All that said, i hope the pick is Green.

HTXSportsAddict and JayGoogle like this.
  18. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Light and yet strong with dexterity. I would work on ankle drills where he repeatedly lands at various angles to start.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

But we aint getting Cade. There is a reason why Mobley is judged to be ahead of Green is most mock drafts

D-rock likes this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I only mentioned Cade's name, because Mobley is considered to be the next AD by some fans. Mobley is tall, long and he is a better two way player than Green. I believe Green will be the better pro in 2-3 years. Cade would have been my choice if we had the number 1 pick.