1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Green is a streaky shoot first guard and is not a creator for his teammates. He has never displayed Ja's point guard or leadership ability. Needing the ball in your hands while not being a great creator worries me. He's young, but seems very one dimensional. If he doesn't have the ball in his hands then he isn't doing much. His defense was underwhelming in the G League too.

2. TimDuncanDonaut

For the top 5 prospect, the one with Wing's height is actually Cade at 6'8" (*drools). then Kuminga who's said to be raw at 6'6".

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Green isn't an engine / lead playmaker and that is my concern with him. He has a very high ceiling, can maybe even lead the league in scoring one day... but hard for me to justify taking a guy #2 who has somewhat limited versatility.

On the other side, Mobley is just straight special. He might be the best defensive big prospect I have ever seen. Unreal feet, long, provides massive rim protection without fouling and has a good STL% given his role. He's everything you want in a modern NBA big defensively and you don't need to worry about strength as much given the lack of true back to the basket big men (and even so, he plays with outstanding leverage on both sides of the floor). Offensively, Mobley has awesome potential as well. Great touch, has a very projectable shooting motion (70% from the FT line too this season), tremendous lob threat. But the best part of Mobley's offensive package is that he can legitimately handle and pass. You don't see guys his size with that sort of skill level. I can eventually see him averaging 4-5 assists a game.

To me the decision isn't difficult. This type of franchise changing big is very rare and Mobley would be 1.1 in most drafts. I'm ecstatic that the Rockets will have the opportunity to draft him.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I voted Mobley but I vacillate. I watch basketball for wins #1 but for thrills #2. Green will probably have more WTF highlight moments. And it would be fun just to out 'athlete' people, put two guards on the floor that can't be guarded.

Defense is 1. system 2. teaching 3. will and effort. I think the kids can be good defensively.

HTXSportsAddict, robbie380 and D-rock like this.
  6. Rocket_Man_2.0

Red Flag: Evan Mobley "May not like basketball"! 7:00

#226 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    saleem and RudyTBag like this.
  7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley's interviews scare me, while both Jalen's are dripping with the love of the game.

Mobley is an absurd talent though, and still a whipper snapper. But his 4.0 GPA makes me wonder If he has other things in mind than hoops.

D-rock likes this.
  8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I guess you didn’t watch AD play in college.

robbie380 and Htown's Finest like this.
  9. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

He literally cites unspecified "podcasts."

D-rock likes this.
  10. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Good points, which is why I am still torn on the pick. Maybe we should swing for the fences and pick Mobley having the better ceiling. His plus minus numbers are off the charts compared to college players Towns, Davis, Bosh.

HTXSportsAddict and roslolian like this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

After extensive research on youtube, I can say that I still don't know who to pick at #2

12. PatBev

PatBev Member

Y’all gonna wish we drafted Green if KPJ can’t handle his off court issues

If we lose KPJ to whatever issues, injury, ect.. Mobley ain’t gonna carry this team

If Green & KPJ and work together I guarantee we can get a solid big man in FA or through the draft the next few years

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

See, I feel the exact opposite. It's not too difficult to find a SG that will provide solid offense. Versatile big men who can protect the rim and switch on D are much rarer.

Now, again, I won't complain if we draft Green. I love his game. But let's not pretend guys like Mobley grow on trees.

Pat, HTXSportsAddict and D-rock like this.
  14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

KG was a terrific defender even coming out of high school.

15. Rocket_Man_2.0

Mobley isn't even in the same realm as Embiid or AD was in college. Mobley is too slow and soft for the NBA!

#235 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jun 24, 2021
  16. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

I agree with you. We need to go with Mobley. We need a true center and big. man. We looked like little boys amongst men when we went against the LA Lakers. We should be able to find a shooting guard in the later rounds.

Pat likes this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Mobley is a big who can defend all the way to the 3 point line, and pass. I don't think he can give much rim protection against Embiid , and Giannis. Physicality will bother him. College ball is making look him better than he is, in my opinion.

CHAMPBOY likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Come on, your not going to make uber confident takes based on YouTube clips, not angrily argue that other posters don’t know shet?

Where’s your spirit man

#238 ThatBoyNick, Jun 24, 2021
    HTXSportsAddict, D-rock and xaos like this.
  19. Rockets4Life13

Apparently Sam Presti is all in on Mobley which might be a good sign considering this is the guy that drafted 3 MVPs in the last 15 years

I personally am still higher on Green because i do think that there are concerns with Mobley but i guess what I'm trying to say is that we basically can't really go wrong and I definitely trust Stone and co to make the right call.

20. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

I agree. We need a big man and rim protector. If you go the guard route, get a pure point guard, someone who can manage the game and get his team mates involved. We don't need another SG who likes to dominate the ball.