1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green should be the pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I'm not an expert, but I think Green has fewer red flags than Mobley, both in the game and in a competitive mindset.
    Green and KPJ could form an extremely interesting pair in the medium term.
    Anyway I think Houston will try to get Cade through a trade, the big question is what Detroit asks for the first pick.

joshuaao, Bo6, Tfor3 and 6 others like this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green's agent is working overtime with the media to plant these "rumors"! I put about a 1% chance of the Pistons taking Jalen Green #1. If they do, then we are the beneficiary.

Bo6 and Rudyc281 like this.
  3. Rocket_Man_2.0

There have been way to many big man bust for my liking. They dominate weak competition in college...then get to the NBA and get exposed! Jalen Green was ranked #1 prospect ahead of Cade Cunningham. What puts Green over Mobley for me is his drive to get better. Mobley has motivation drive questions..could easily become the next Hasheen Thabeet!

#283 Rocket_Man_2.0, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  4. HROZ

HROZ Member

These are 18 year old kids
    Who provides any form of certainty beyond Cade.

Green doesn't have handles.
    You're hoping he improves that drastically.

Kuminga is raw as hell.

Suggs ceiling seems to be Billups. Is that enough for a 2nd pick.

5. eman

eman Contributing Member

I liked the Malcolm Brogdon qualities I saw in Suggs's tourney play-- IQ, leadership, toughness, tenacity-- which got me thinking: why don't we just go get Brogdon? Is he gettable? Recovered from injury or still injured?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

I'm not spending a #2 pick for a Malcom Brogdon style talent.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green played only 15 games in the G-League this season. Averaged 17.9ppg. Kevin Porter Jr averaged 24ppg in the G-league in his 15 games.... so is Green the offensive phenom that is worthy of the #2 overall pick? Scouts question his handle, and obviously question his defense, given his small, thin frame.

This guy is the next Andrew Wiggins - good scorer but little else... and at best a #3 option on a championship level team. We need a well-rounded player -- defense, handle, shooting, leadership. Competitive fire. Brains. Suggs embodies all of these.

9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not only that I think he’s shying away from getting measured I bet he’s 6’3

palmsnbananas likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

24 on worse shooting %'s than Jalen straight out of high school.
    In 2 years, Jalen Green would be averaging over 30 with efficiency in the gleague

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Andrew Wiggins' greatest issue is his general disinterest both on and off the court in basketball, so he never improved.

If there is an Andrew Wiggins v.2 and he loves basketball, you take him unquestionably every time.

12. Htown's Finest

Bro if I could shake your hand right now I would lol, great point about Wiggins. It's not that Andrew Wiggins is not talented, it's the fact that he was traded to an absolutely horrible organization in the Minnesota Timberwolves and learned a lot of bad habits. Well I got news for you people, the Houston Rockets are one of the best NBA organizations around. Wiggins would have been 25+ ppg player if he played for us and especially in D'Antoni's system. The organization and the coaching staff really does matter. That's why I think Green will do phenomenal here.

joshuaao likes this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Also all star bigs have been picked all over the damn plance which is scary. Jokic was a 2nd rounder. Gobert was late late 1st. Bam was mid 1st. Only Joel, KAT, Ayton being top picks. I mean that's seems more wider than guards.

Caesar and Rocket_Man_2.0 like this.
  14. kevtse

kevtse Member

Just curious...why did Green chose g-league over college? Money?

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Bigs are so hit and miss in this league. I'd go with the safer pick in Green every time, especially when he already has G-league experience.

The only issue I'm worried about is his drive to improve because he's got the whole package like many other scorers before him but what it's the drive that separates them.

Also, this is a personal opinion but I feel like the location of where the player goes is important too. Some teams are just terrible at developing players (Kings). The first couple years are so important for a lottery pick unless they got that personal drive to be great.

ilovehtownbb and Tfor3 like this.
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Wiggins has already improved his demeanor while playing for GS. The stats only show a minor increase in efficiency, but he appears to enjoy playing basketball now. In Minny he had Tim Thomas syndrome, where he was clearly only playing basketball because it was his job. That's not Minny's fault though, a player should be internally driven IMO. Even Butler couldn't get him to focus. That's a bad sign.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Agree

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Who wouldn't take the g-league 1mill?

19. Rockets4Life13

I think so yes. They get 500k a year AFAIK which is a lot more than 0 in college. I'd choose the g-league aswell.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  20. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

KPJ already had an NBA rookie season under his belt (albeit only 50 games) before going to the G league. Green went there right after highschool, huge difference in learning curve and jump.

#300 Rocketeer, Jun 24, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2021