1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breakdown of our choices at 2

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jun 22, 2021.

?

Who should we take?

1. Green

223 vote(s)
    59.8%
  2. Mobley

110 vote(s)
    29.5%
  3. Suggs

40 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

The shot is just 2 pts, what won the game is his 80% FG and 14 rebs vs Zubacs. Previous game he had 20 9 2 on 71% FG. Unless he going uo against another superstar big Ayton dominates most role player big men he matches up against.

You just dont find centers like Ayton unless they are at the top of the draft. Guards are available every draft but only when you get top 3 do you have access to blue chip big men prospects like Mobley.

I know Green is the safer pick and the instant impact pick but we may not get top 2 next year when Holmgren and Banchero next year. It's better to capitalize by getting Mobley now and then getting our Green prospect next year.

Fact that there is only 1 big man and 2 guards in the top 4 should show you who is rarer and more valuable.

2. kiwirocketsfan

Deron Williams and Kyle Lowry aren't on Kidd's level.

If Suggs is Williamsn or Lowry, that's good, if he's Kidd that is amazing. If that is his floor>ceiling you take him.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ball should have gone no 1 so is Wiseman really worse than Ant? I dont think so I take Wiseman over Ant cuz Wiseman is a stretch 5.

Sure AD and Bosh could not win as the best player on their team but neither has Lavine, Harden or Donovan Mitchell won anything yet right? Apart from Curry, Kobe and Billups no other guard led team has had a championship in the last 2 decades or so. Every other ring has been won by a forward so your argument is a false won as judging by the trend a Green led squad wont win a ring either. In this draft you can see why 6'8 Cade can do what Green does and more.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  4. roslolian

roslolian Member

Curry the only guard led team that has a ring among active players in the NBA.

Clearly a forward's league as Lebron, Kawhi and KD will tell you. Future league kings Luka, Giannis ans Tatum would like to have a word with you as well...

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

It is too old for rebuilding team filling their roster with 19 yr olds. 5-6 year gap doesnt take a genius to see why their timeline is different.

Wood signed a 3 yr deal he will he an expiring after this season. Do you wanna trade him while he still has value or do Dipo 2.0 and get cents on the dollar cuz he is now an expiring and wants out?

#185 roslolian, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Even with how well Ayton is playing if they had drafted Luka they would be favorites to win it all.. games wouldn't even be close.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

nothing but an assumption. Alternative realty scenarios are mostly nonsense. People think you just plug and play and things will turn out the same exact way for some odd reason. So without Ayton, who is their 5 which is absolutely essential in the way they play.

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Luka is 6'8 and Euroleague MVP at 19.

Green is 6'5 athletic scorer. He is no Luka.

I have no issue taking 6'8 dudes at the top of the draft they turn out well as we have seen that with Zion (really 6'6 but w/e), Luka, Tatum, Barrett, De Andre Hunter etc if you highly touted and you are a firward guess what you'll do alright. Their height is might coupled with their athleticism and skillset that made them hyped recruits. Same thing with big pgs WB, Ja Morant, Lonzo Ball and Lamelo Ball etc these also turn out great. We can see Cade gonna have a bright future as well he is 6'8 vs pgs some of whom are shorter than 6'1.

Green is 6'5 sg he shouldnt be compared to Ball because he is just average size for his position. His best comp is Lavine and while Lavine is solid, people arent losing sleep over Lavine cuz they know 6'5 sg not gonna win a ring if he is the best player. It's the age of forwards not guards. Theres no special quality with Green that makes me think he is worth top 2 pick in hyped draft we can find 6'5 scorers in the draft every year. Yeah Green is athletic and he can shoot 3 and he is extremely polished...ok. So who is better him or Barrett? Cuz Barrett would kick his ass he is 6'7 with long ass arms also extremely athletic, skilled scorer and much better defender. At least Mobley's potential is just as good as Ayton's.

If Ayton and Lavine were both rookies who would you get? I'd take Ayton just because it is hard to find big men who can defend the paint and also keep up with guards at the perimeter. Look at Gobert, Ayton's much better he wont leave Suns exposed on the perimeter. 6'5 scorer is ok but you find that every draft. The only time you get no 2 pick you dont use it on a unicorn? Lol what a waste. We can prob find Green type scorer at no 23 or 24.

#188 roslolian, Jun 23, 2021
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

They have Cp3 and Booker so they'd rather have Ayton at this point than Trae. Just ask them man.

Luka is 6'8 euroleague mvp at age 19. Green is 6'5 sg plays a diff position and much smaller than Luka.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Is it possible not to be so polarized about who we "must" get?

At this stage, no matter who you take, it is something of a crapshoot, because you can never be completely certain that the player you choose has skills that will translate. Sure, the best front offices make the right call more often than not, but even the best get it wrong.

Rarely ever is the number 2 pick the 2nd best player from a draft class! Sure - it can take time, but go back 5 years and keep going back from there and you'll see an interesting list of #2 picks (Ingram, DLo, Jabari Parker, Oladipo, Kidd-Gilchrist(!), Derrick Williams, Evan Turner, Thabeet, Beasley). There is barely an all-star appearance amongst the bunch! It is way back in 2007 with Durant that we last saw a multiple all-star (possibly Ja Morant will step up to that multiple all-star level?)
    Such is the way with early entrants. Whomever we get, I'm supporting them and hoping they turn out to be the BEST player in this draft, and a multiple all-star - but I'm not going to rage against whomever we take.

11. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

This is very difficult to come by.

HTXSportsAddict and Nook like this.
  12. DonatelloLimestone

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't disagree with this bottom line ... I just don't think Mobley is "That guy" .....

Ayton moves people around in the paint. Mobley is a skinny dude that's gonna get pushed around in the paint at 7ft 215 ...... Hell I'm 6'3 3/4" barefoot .... and at 205 I'm skinny .

Ayton's a very good rebounder , that's one of Mobley's biggest weak spots.

Top it off with the dude is a mediocre at best shooter .... with no touch around the rim.

I get wanting the quality big man ..... but this guy just aint "It".

14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

It's really a crap shoot. Im by no means educated on these guys , but neither seem like a certainty to be all-stars imo.

They definitely aren't Zion, AD, Towns and others who most were very confident they would be very good. Instead they seem more like last year's draft where their is a ton of uncertainty and still is.

Are the experts saying one is more of a certainty than the other? More upside than the other?

15. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

For real. Literally everyone we're arguing about could be busts. There's a chance that the player we should have taken will end up being taken much further down in the draft. I'm just glad we're in this position because we could have not had a pick at all. All we can do is hope for the best. I'm not going to be like one of those Knicks fans that boo who we draft no matter what.

HTXSportsAddict and DrNuegebauer like this.
  16. roslolian

roslolian Member

You saw how Clint Capela looked when he first got to the league? Thats his comp Clint Capela with a jumpshot.

He wont need to move people around in the paint cuz thise guys are about to be extinct as we have seen with Gobert and Marc Gasol. His value is defending guys 1-5 on the perimeter to the baseline.

DrNuegebauer and CriscoKidd like this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Green, Suggs and Cade have almost 0 bust risk, Cade is guaranteed to be a superstar, Green is guaranteed to be a starter/6th man Clarkson type player and Suggs is guaranteed to be a role player at least.

Mobley has the 2nd highest upside but also the largest bust risk cuz he needs a lot of work. Could be Clint Capela with 3 pt shot or Hasheem Thabeet/Thong Maker.

What makes him special is his bball iq, his dimensions, quickness and his perimeter defense. We see lots of pogo stick prospects right now like Poku, Moses Brown, Nic Claxton etc but the diff is Mobley isnt that raw defensively, if you watch him in college he moves like he understands what is going on. So thats what's exciting cuz for most big men the between the ears stuff takes years to learn or in cases of guys like Thabeet or Slowmile Swift they never learned. If he is like this now then you are hoping he is gonna be like a 10 yr vet once he gets trained and used to the NBA.

At the same time he needs work cuz his offense just consist of lobs and pnrs. He has range but his mechanics also need work he wasnt very efficient he reminds me of Giannis the J is there but it is rough AF. He is also like a pogo stick so he needs to work on his body as well. Basically it all depends on his work ethic. He has a family background in bball so at least he isnt there just for the money in the draft like some other big men prospects.

#197 roslolian, Jun 23, 2021
    HTXSportsAddict and blahblehblah like this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Suggs is the player that looks the most like an elite NBA player right now. You can't watch his reel and not see that his bag is just deeper than the other players. Cade included.

I'm not sure what people who aren't impressed with him are watching. You have another Luka or Trae in this draft. You take him.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

he wasn’t an excellent three point shooter. He didn’t rack up assists in crazy numbers. He didn’t rack up defensive metrics in crazy numbers. He played mostly against inferior competition in a weaker conference (overall but plenty of great games against great competition).

he doesn’t have Lukas size or Traes quick twitch game.

he seems like he’s a light version of all those guys… or CP3 or whatever… OR he could be a legit version of those guys.

his play in the tournament was indeed fantastic. He doesn’t have Luka size but has legit PG size. He’s not Trae twitch quick but has supreme athleticism, etc.

I’d be happy with the pick. I’m rating them Green, Suggs, Mobley even though Mobley has the most upside he also has he most downside to me. If I somehow had two picks though I house Green and Mobley to go guard/big.

HTXSportsAddict and Corrosion like this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Double post sorry