1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think Mobley will be able to put on weight. He was rail thin in HS at 195 in 2018 and is leaving USC at 215. His older brother is 235 also. Granted he was always a little thicker, but still something to note.

Just put him on Giannis' nutritional plan ;-)

2. dmoneybangbang

You need to go back and read these players' draft profiles instead of just focusing on the numbers. Bosh had a more advanced offensive arsenal coming out of college which is why he jumped to 20/9 in his 3rd year in Toronto.

3. dmoneybangbang

I mean clearly Mobley will be Davis, Giannis, and even a little KD lite when he puts that work into his jumper.

4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Sure, rely on unspecified “draft profiles.” It’s laughable to claim a guy who scored less on a lower shooting percentage was a “much” better offensive player.

5. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

He’s playing against nba veterans at 18 years old. Averaging 18 37% from 3 46% fg and 65% TS 3 assists 4 rebounds and 1.5 steals. He would’ve destroyed college defenses.

BallaDoc likes this.
  6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The Chris Bosh comparisons are a bit irritating. Mobley is a true center, Bosh was a true power forward. Mobley is a bit taller, way way way better on defense, especially at guarding the rim. You don't draft Mobley to anchor your offense like Bosh anchored it in Toronto, you draft him to transform your defense. We lost a lot of games last year because our defense sucked ass. We should focass on defense. Our offense is decent. Coach Silas needs defensive tools to be able to win in the NBA.

Did you just say the G League is full of NBA veterans? That's funny. It's a talented league but it's not full of NBA vets that are fully comparable to the big league.

albuster, mikenm268, D-rock and 9 others like this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

Yes, to provide some context to the numbers and how Bosh scored vs how Mobley scored. Let's be honest, you aren't breaking it down by "% from x feet from basket". There's a reason why Bosh was such a great shooting big as well as could score in the paint.

Bosh and Garnett became 20/10 players in their first 4 years while being the focal point of the offense. Mobley being a 20/10 player and the focus of an offense seems very unlikely.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Did you even bother watching your own clips. Bosh was already a NBA level low post player out of college. He had advanced footwork and an array of moves in both the high post and mid range.

Mobley got most his scoring either on lobs, put backs or dribble drives. If you read his scouting report the one area he lacks is consistent post moves and footwork in the post.

Mobleys selling point is his defense, shot blocking and length. His offensive game is not close to NBA level and I don't forsee him doing much more than Lobs and putbacks like Capela did for a few years. Hell even Ayton who has a way bigger offensive arsenal has not really been creating his own shot.

The best comparison to Mobley is probably Jaren Jackson for now.

9. Houston77

Supporting Member

LOL. Even the commentators said Mobley reminded them of Bosh.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

Think Mobley's game is more like Ante. Simply use your speed and height to get a shot. He will need to add some strength, but he will get to his spot, and he has the height and length to take advantage of it. I can totally see him as the offensive focal point, and the defensive focal point.

D-rock likes this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Depends on how hard he is willing to work. He has a really high ceiling given his body. But Giannis worked his ass off to get where he was, especially to put muscles.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I said earlier that Hakeem was there to draft a generational player

Thank You Dream!

13. dmoneybangbang

That's the paradox. Mobley might have the height of a center but a frame more like a PF. Defensively, I almost view him more as a taller Andrei Kirilenko 2.0 (from the hated Jazz) that will be switchable but more of a weak side threat against true centers

D-rock likes this.
  14. Houston77

Supporting Member

Again, where did this whole “Mobley only scores because he’s tall” mentality come from? His mid-game is very efficient. He’s excellent in PnR. He’s shown great passing ability. His offensive game is way more versatile than you’re claiming.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The bottom line is Mobley fits into the Rockets plans more so than any player in this draft. I want multiple championships in three years!

D-rock, bumbum09 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  16. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

I think he's more Jonathan Isaac. Jaren Jackson is/was miles ahead as a shooter. Both are great players, but Jackson is actually a weapon from 3, taking shots off the dribble and coming off screens.

Isaac and Jackson are also both injured all the time. Hopefully something Mobley avoids.

17. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

You used the word full a lot for response to a post that didn’t mention the word once. The g league is a mix of cusp players within which are a lot of vets that have made rosters in the past and are looking to get called back up. Not the whole league but a good portion of it. The point is he’s was going against grown men with nba bodies who’ve played in the league or have been around the league from anywhere between a couple years to several years as an 18 year old kid fresh out of high school. This is much different than playing at the college level.

Everyone in the g league is closer to making an nba roster than 90% of college players. These are men fighting to get into or get back to the nba. They’re pros and they’re not taking it easy on a 18 year old top prospect. Personally I think his performance in the g league is equal if not more impressive than what Cade did in college considering the maturity and talent he was going up against.

did you read the post I was responding to?

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Mobley’s best comparison is Myles Turner coming out of college

D-rock likes this.
  19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Re: the Capela comparison, the two things Mobley has already shown way more of are overall handles and passing capabilities. As you noted -- dribble drives are not a normal tool set for a 7 foot freshman.

Mobley also actually averaged more assists than turnovers (2.4/2.2), which is actually an impressive feat for a freshman (Cade averaged 3.5/4.0, for example). Bosh averaged nearly 2x turnovers to assists. None of the recent high lotto bigs were did it either (Jaren Jackson, Ayton, Wiseman).

Even if his shot never develops, the handle and passing alone give him a higher offensive ceiling than a Capela type.

Deuce, albuster, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'd like to hear Dream's thoughts about the kid. He won't give them unless Mobley's our pick, for sure, but it would be great if he did.