1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Many of you are selling Evan Mobley short

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jun 22, 2021.

1. JD88

JD88 Member

Well, they're both huge, so...

They're skilled big men. Both of them play the 4. Is Giannis a guard, too? Lol

don grahamleone and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You can’t teach size

albuster, D-rock, leebigez and 2 others like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

I'll let the scouts and GMs worry about the interviews. I'm just pushing back against all these comps to HOF big men. Even Chris Bosh was a much better offensive player coming out of the draft. Not many comps to lanky, switchable bean poles who are average offensively.

4. dmoneybangbang

And I might become president.

Roxfan4lyfe likes this.
  5. Roxfan4lyfe

Roxfan4lyfe Member

To be honest the Rockets don’t need the guy they got Woods not saying Mobley won’t pan out hell he might be better than Woods one day but today he’s not and besides Mobley is the 4 best prospect in this year draft In my eyes , it’s should be Green or Suggs the Rockets can get a shot blocker and shooter later in the draft let’s someone else draft Mobley in the lottery hell it might be Toronto

#145 Roxfan4lyfe, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Anthony Davis and Giannis say hello!

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

How was Bosh a “much” better offensive player? He averaged 15.6 points on .56 shooting in college. Mobley averaged 16.4 on .58 shooting.

8. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

robbie380 likes this.
  9. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Agreed. I’m not sure if I’d pic Mobley either but people are really underselling him. If he can defend the rim and switch while hitting >70% ft and show a knack for passing out of dho, short roll, dump pass it’s hard not to take him. You can’t play him off the court if he can guard switch and the rim plus you can play him as a hub at the top of the key. You don’t pick him to lead your offense. You take him to lead your defense and look to the next draft to get your additional offensive motor.

albuster, D-rock, jiggyfly and 4 others like this.
  10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Another thing to think about ... Big Men and their penchant for injury.

Rudyc281 and BossHogg713 like this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't understand where you guys are getting his interviews sound bad. I think Jalen Green sounds worse in his interviews.

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I'm still laughing a little about this idea. I mean, it would be great if a 19 year old would listen to an 84-yr-old man, but we'd be lucky if a 19-yr-old would honestly listen to Hakeem's old ass, at this point. Mobley noted Giannis and KD as his favorite players. Hakeem probably seems like some short-shorts relic to him in that way George Mikan does to some of us, LOL.

BallaDoc, BigM and fckbandwagons like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree. He sounds better than I did at 19. Maybe they just mean he has a high-pitched voice and sounds really young.
    But maybe that means he's still growing and look out when his voice finally changes. ;)

14. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Um no he’s 19th in scoring in the g league behind people like Jeremy Lin and Bodric Thomas who are scoring more and at a higher %. So no he’s not elite at scoring, he has elite athleticism which is his only elite attribute like we both already said.

albuster and D-rock like this.
  15. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

[​IMG]

16. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

You do realize he is going up against veteran NBA players? Almost all players in the G league would eat up the NCAA players.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Okay?

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  18. bmd

bmd Member

They don’t play like big men. They play like guards who happen to be huge.

Roc Paint likes this.
  19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think people need to tear down the competition to promote the guy they want to promote. I don't know that much if the strenuous criticism I've heard recently is particularly objective, so i don't know that im going to get too worked up trying to prove that Mobley isn't the awkward, uncoordinated, disinterested loafer that some are trying to present.

20. bmd

bmd Member

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

He was 18 years old lol. They didn’t even play a full season. It was 15 games. In his first 15 games out of high school, he averaged 20 ppg against grown men.

He is elite at creating space and scoring. And here’s the thing... you should be measuring his potential. You shouldn’t be looking exclusively at what he can do right now.

Roc Paint likes this.