1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shams - Philly offered Simmons/Thybulle + draft compensation. Did we make the right deal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jan 13, 2021.

?

Which package would you have prefered?

Poll closed Jan 18, 2021.
  1. Nets package

177 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. Phillys package

174 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Matt Sullivan: Nets may listen to trade offers for Kyrie Irving

D-rock and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  2. TimDuncanDonaut

D-rock likes this.
  3. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

roslolian likes this.
  4. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Two incidental consequences of the Nets’ trade: KPJ and the #2 pick. We don’t land KPJ without his meltdown over Prince getting his locker, and Simmons probably makes us good enough to miss out on a top 4 pick.

5. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Exactly. Even if you think the assets directly netted from a Sixers trade would have been better value-wise (and I don't) the indirect fallout of getting KPJ and the #2 pick on top of our future draft haul easily surpasses whatever we'd have gotten from the Sixers + the #18 pick. Reasonable minds can differ all the time, but I have a hard time with this one.

If you don't want to give Stone credit for that and say he got lucky, that's okay. And again, the Nets are either going to break up or age and will have almost no avenue for meaningful and fundamental improvement absent dumb luck. It's just a matter of whether it's going to happen in ~2 years or ~4 years. And we get the better of their pick and Miami's next year anyways.

#1125 ChillyPete32, Jun 23, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
    HTXSportsAddict and roslolian like this.
  6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Simmons would fit with KD and Harden...(maybe).

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not gonna happen. But Simmons for Kyrie would be a very interesting trade. Kyrie is even more opposite to Simmons than Cj is.

KingCheetah likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

Its not though. You really think the Nets have NO avenues to improve if Harden, KD and Kyrie stay, LOL of course they do. You think they wont do sign and trades like KD did for GS?

And this is after his value tanked this playoffs. KPJ isnt ceratin, he has mental health issues and I dont know why everyone is acting like that is a sure thing(I Hope he is).

A bunch of gambles, nothing substantial.

D-rock likes this.
  9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. TimDuncanDonaut

Dang you quick. I was just in that Hoop Collective live chat session. Was Windhorst, Ramona, and Tim McMahon. Yea Tim did say it.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Stone did a masterful job navigating thru this season. People just ignorant or dont wanna give him credit.

We have 3 picks now, 3 picks next year and then Brooklyn picks for the next 6 yrs or so. Thats on top of buildable talent we already have Wood, Tate, Kpj and Kmartjr

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol hope Green goes 1 give us the 6'8 pg.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Kyrie for Ben Simmons may not be a bad trade package. I rather have Kyrie and CJ McCollum.

Nets can then also resign Spencer for whatever amount of money he wants since they will be stuck in cap space hell for the foreseeable future.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

His elbow does stick out alot

15. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Of course he still has value. I'm not anywhere close to the "Philly needs to attach picks to get rid of his salary" camp. He ain't fetching anything close to 4 unprotected picks, swaps and a flyer on someone like Oladipo, though.

The GS situation is exactly what I'm talking about with only focusing on the negative without looking at the whole picture. They've been in the lottery both years since KD left! One time they got the #2 pick!

Harris is a nice spot up shooter but on a big deal. Dinwiddie is a role player in his late twenties coming off ACL surgery and is probably going to get overpaid because he has a ton of leverage with the weak FA class and BKN having no choice but to sign him since they can't use his money if he leaves. They can't trade really any draft assets other than way out in the future as each year rolls off. If those guys bounce it's possible they could add a marquee FA pair or something but it's a much different situation than the one KD and Kyrie signed up for since it will be a franchise depleted of assets.

It's not impossible, but if/when that starts to go south it could be a very tough hole to get out of.

HTXSportsAddict likes this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

This was all alluded to by some here after the trade. Trying to be "good" with Wall on the roster is ridiculous. It is obvious you bottom out this year and next while you keep your picks. Then hopefully come out with a few great and good players then use your FA space for players to come in and help the young guys in their second and third years. Then let all of the Nets picks roll in.

HTXSportsAddict and ChillyPete32 like this.
  17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I hope KPJ scoring 50 showed himself what he is capable of and he strives to continue improving and maturing as he gets older. Not everyone is meant to handle the pressure of getting paid millions and being in the public eye. I hope he figures it out.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  18. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Agreed. I wish this year and last we'd run out Harden, slimmed down-motivated CP3, and Capela and had a legit shot at the title. But we're in so much better of a situation for the future now than we were heading into this offseason that it's really kind of good that the Harden situation blew up when it did rather than a year or two down the line or even if he'd committed here until he retires with him making $50mm a year at age 34+ with us owing lightly protected picks to OKC right around the corner.

HTXSportsAddict and roslolian like this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Dude is just salty man just ignore him. Too afraid to man up and take the L

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

vince, D-rock and Pat like this.